“Amazing food, friendly staff, will return!”
Review of Stone's

Stone's
Ranked #4 of 398 Restaurants in Bury
Price range: US$1 - US$27
Cuisines: Cafe, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are situated approximately a mile outside of Bury,opposite Fairfield Hospital. There is free customer only parking for up to 12 cars at the rear of the property. Cash, debit cards and most major credit cards accepted. We serve a range of meals including breakfast, lunch, Sunday roasts, main meals, hot & cold buffet (in house or off site). Vegetarian and gluten free options available. Also hot and cold beverages including coffees, teas and alcohol.All the food is freshly prepared, and there are a sele ction of home made food cakes & Afternoon Teas (Traditional, Prosecco & Hot)
Reviewed 17 April 2014

After a recommendation from two separate friends we decided to go to Stone's Cafe and give it a try. We certainly weren't disappointed. On arrival the first thing we noticed were the delicious homemade cakes....we definitely planned to save room for those!!! Our meals were fantastic all home made and beautifully presented. My daughter loved her meal and especially her dessert!!!
The menu is excellent with something to suit everyone.
The decor is amazing and you feel very relaxed and welcome by all the staff. The owner was lovely and called my daughter by name and helped her choose her dessert. We couldn't resist taking some cupcakes and chocolate brownies home.
We would definitely come back the staff couldn't do enough for us from the minute we walked in.
Many thanks and we wish you much success with your business. Please don't take note of any negative reviews as we totally disagree.

1  Thank KimAlanRochdale
Karen S, Owner at Stone's, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful experience at Stone's Cafe Bar.

It was a pleasure to serve your family and it was pleasing to see Olivia enjoy her creme brulee. Maybe next time she can try the trio of Stone's with a mini creme brulee, cookie sandwich and chocolate brownie.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We enjoyed a lovely lunch today at stones cafe. The staff were all friendly and explained a short delay for fresh pie. It was a very short delay and the food was worth waiting for. There is a car park at the rear and easily accessible. There is also a childrens menu and high chairs. A lot of work has gone into the decor and tables are available on a pale carpeted area and also tiled area. Unlike previous customers who have posted if I had walking boots on, out of courtesy I would naturally sit in the tiled area. It seemed a popular venue and I woukd definitely visit again

Karen S, Owner at Stone's, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your entire experience from service, food and surroundings.

The reason we explain the waiting time for certain dishes is that all the food is freshly prepared and we try to get the food served as quickly as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My Friend and I visited this "cafe" a few days ago, we were treated rudely by the arrogant owner and my friend posted this on tripadvisor,on reading the reply from the owner, i can see quite clearly that this only confirms the impression we got on the day,

she has no cutomer service skills whatsoever and a lot of prejudices

We had been on a walk and decided to stop for some lunch, this was meant to be a surprise as it was my birthday so consiquently i had no other footware with me, but to be honest my shoes were not that muddy, we have been in a lot better places than Stones and always been welcome as walkers.

If the owner objects to walkers (obviously muddy shoes!) then surely a sigh outside would be to her benefit?

Failing this she could of told us as soon as we walked thru the door that she didnt want to serve us because of the boots "ISSUE" .that would of saved us spending our money in a place where we were not welcome and in my opinion treated with contemp.

Instead she proceeded to treat us like second class citizens, firstly telling us we had to sit in a certain area which we did and then instructing us to sit at a quite uncomfortable table.

There was a better situated table just to the right of us and we thought it would not do anybody any harm if we moved there .

The owner shouted right from the other side of the bar that she needed the table for later (the whole time that we were there nobody came near it), i thought this was a vulgar and inconsiderate way to communicate with customers.

By this time i had had enough of the rude and unprofessional treatment and went up to the bar to have a word with her, she was not in the slightest apologetic, she even followed me back to the table again talking very loudly suggesting that she had done us a favour by letting us in with our boots on.also saying that we were making too much of it, the womans greatly needs a lesson in cutomer service as every word she said to us was condescending and arrogant

Our money could be better spent than on average food and bad manners, we won't be going there again and would certainly not encourage anybody else to.

11  Thank Sandra R
Karen S, Owner at Stone's, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

I’m sorry that you feel that you have been unfairly treated and I can assure you that this was in no way intentional or personal.

We have had many walkers that have visited Stone’s, especially over the recent spell of good weather and they have been more than happy to either remove their muddy boots or to sit in the tiled area. Indeed, they have often offered to do so themselves.

At Stone’s we welcome all customers equally, from those who are visiting us to pop in for a hot drink and a scone, like yourselves, to those treating themselves to a three-course meal.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We visited this cafe after having been on a morning walk. The reception that we got from the owner was unacceptable and it was clear that walkers are not welcome in this establishment. We were not allowed to sit on the casual chairs because the area is carpeted, which we accepted as, although I had changed my shoes, my friend had not. The owner did not ask to see the soles of my friend's shoes to see if they were muddy or not so we concluded that she took exception to the fact that we had come into the cafe in our walking clothes. She made the comment that we could see the standards that she was trying to maintain. I could not believe that she had made this comment as it implied that we were bringing the standards down. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and attentive but the owner is certainly not customer friendly to walkers. She should not judge people by what they are wearing.

5  Thank Christine L
Karen S, Owner at Stone's, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

I feel it necessary to explain the full scenerio of your visit.

My colleague greeted you initially and I took over to take you to a table. At this point, I spotted that your friend's shoes were full of mud. You had changed your shoes.

I explained that because her shoes were muddy then would you mind sitting at a table in the tiled area to which neither of you objected. I then took your order for for two coffees and two scones with jam and cream.

Before you received your scones, you decided to move to another table which I was walking over to put a reserved sign on. I explained the situation and you both stayed at the original table. Your friend then came to the bar to inform me that you would not be returning to the restaurant again as you felt that you have not been treated fairly by not allowing you to sit in the carpeted area.

At no time did you friend offer to remove her muddy shoes and I simply pointed out that we were trying the maintain the standards of cleaniness and appearance of the building. At no time did I not say that walkers are not welcome nor did I judge you by what you were wearing.

We have numerous customers that are walkers and they either remove their shoes or are happy to sit in the tiled area.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went here to meet up with a friend for a coffee but ended up having a light breakfast too.
Was lovely setting, very well designed. We were shown to a table which I didnt't mind at all (previous people have complained about this), I feel it adds a personal touch.
It was a quiet morning so felt we could relax as it wasn't busy. Staff were very attentive.
Coffee was lovely. Only had a toasted teacake so was done as well as it could be.

The only downside I would say was at first we didn't feel very welcome with our babies as the comment we got from the second member of staff was "I didn't realise we were running a creche" which we didn't know wether it was a joke or poor sarcasm, that said, it didn't hinder our experience too much.

Parking is a little difficult as you have to park on side streets or the Hospital grounds.

Overall average experience, would definately consider this place if lunching out with parents etc for a bit of something more grown up (I'm a 39yr old professional by the way, not a child, lol).

Karen S, Owner at Stone's, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

First of all thank you for your lovely comments regarding the setting and attentive staff.

I feel that I must respond to your comments regarding children and parking.

With regards to the comment "I didn't realise we were running a creche" this has been taken totally out of context. The comment was made with a smile on my face and was not meant with any malice. The background to this was that in the same room, when I walked in there was your table with babies in car seat carriers and there were also a toddler in a high chair at another table. If I have offended you in anyway, then I apologise.

We have a baby changing unit and 5 high chairs to allow for your babies and children to dine comfortably.

There is a hanging sign on the front of the building directing customers to the car park at the rear of the building which has spaces for up to 13 cars. Unfortunately if we are busy then the nearest car park is the hospital car park across the road where you can park for £2 for 4 hours.