“Cheap and nasty ” 1 of 5 bubbles

247Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Oldham
“Cheap and nasty ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

The best thing I can say for this hotel is the free wifi was good and the receptionist was really friendly but that's where it ends the room was filthy blood stains on the floor and a bloody hand print on the door to the bathroom. There was a dead fly in the bed and hairs everywhere in the beds in the bath everywhere ! We went as a group of friends to watch a concert in Manchester and the room was really cheap but you definitely get what you pay for! We were woken at 4am by a drunk guest we guessed but didn't know. She was banging on the door next to us screaming and shouting obscenities it was disturbing she was there for at least half an hour and no one came to remove her ,eventually the police came. We got hardly any sleep, all I can say is if you can't afford anything better then your in trouble. Honestly don't recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'm afraid my title says it all - the wifi is good and free in the room.
Half the hotel seems to be in the process of demolition. Although they do have an elevator, it is claustrophobic. The rooms are bare with leaky windows, no view and inadequate heating. The shower is way too complicated and weak. The hot water screams and echos throughout the corridors. The fire doors are constantly banging all night. The restaurant is deplorable. The bar is minute. All in all, my title says it all - good wifi.
PS the location is almost inaccessible.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a heater that works, a view and well away from the fire doors. I don't think th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Oldham hotels

Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I only find out about the hotel through my sons friend who stays there when she's in Manchester, as I needed to find a hotel in Manchester at short notice for a funeral.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful to me. When I checked in they gave me the option of having my room on the same floor as reception as I use walking sticks to get around, rather than having to use the lift to get to my room.
The Meals that I had when I was in the hotel were excellent.
The rooms were clean and tidy. One thing I did notice was that only some of the rooms have a phone in them. My room didn't(which really didn't matter, as I was next to the reception), but the room my daughter and son in law stayed in did.
The money I saved staying here compared to the prices at other budget hotel chains wanted when I checked paid the travel costs of getting to Manchester and back for myself, daughter and son in law.
This was the first time I'd stayed in this hotel and I will defiantly be staying there when I go back to Manchester.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew S
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Simple and basic hotel - our stay started off with dirty plates outside our room (this however was quickly dealt with when we complained) room was a bit small and cramped we ended up here due to booking a late easter break and couldn't get anywhere closer to the city center for less or equal money. Walls are paper thin can hear everything from other rooms but clean towels on arrival and the next day an okay stay. Ruined by other guests being extremely loud and noisy from 10pm until 1am at which point we phoned reception to ask them to be quiet which they did so very quickly. Obviously such things are beyond hotel control but it still impacted on our visit. Next time we are going to plan our trips away from home with a bit more forethought.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel unless you really need to be in oldham on Manchester road then stay here but...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lee D
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Looks a mess from the outside. Check in ok, corridors to rooms look like crap, room very basic...the whole thing has seen better days...but for £29 per night you get what you pay for....good nights sleep, free wifi.....would use again for that rate..prefer premier inns for the same money if booked in advance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank walkers1990
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We came down from edinburgh with a dance troupe for a competition at queen Elizabeth hall when we checked into the hotel there were people already in rooms we had booked and in my own room one of the single beds has blood on it

2 Thank madjock11
Wilts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The 247 was once a prestigious hotel called the Avant Hotel holding weddings and large functions in their large annex.
It then became a Travelodge and not so long back was taken over as a 247.

If you work on the basis that the Avant was a 4 star, that the Travelodge was a 3 star and that the 247 is a 2 star, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

With each change of ownership the hotel has been downgraded in grade but the hotel hasn't changed in its offerings from a functional point of view.

The hotel is located in the middle of Werneth, Coppice and Chadderton, not affulent or particularly pleasing parts of Oldham. The immediate area around the hotel is run down and it doesn't help that the annex which once housed the events is now a disused building in a state of disrepair and is in the grounds of the hotel.

Despite being on the main road there isn't a lot of road noise, though sound insulation in the rooms isn't great and we were woke repeatedly by those returning from their nights out.

The rooms are laege enough to be comfortable, the bathroom is functional albeit very white and quite small.

Beds are 'bouncy' (well used and with a bit of a roll towards the middle). The carpets are clean, in fact the room was really clean.
Bedding is basic, white and starched which suited me.
Furtniture is basic but matches though the addition of a third bed in our room meant the wardrobe doors had been taken off so it could be used.

Tea, coffee and the usual condiments are provided and on arrival we were given a pack of biscuits each.

Large, free parking area surrounds the building and there is good public transport to Oldham and Manchester.

Overall the hotel offers very good value (£36 pn) for functional, clean bedroom.
I can't comment on breakfast or other facilities.

Personally I thought this hotel was better in comfort than the local Travelodge but it's equally as bland in decor.

Would return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank kelasarj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
The Victoria Hotel
Clough Manor
Clough Manor
#1 of 1 in Denshaw
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to 247Hotel? Share your experiences!