“Handy for Manchester”

Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Oldham
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very welcoming hotel within reach of Manchester. Room was quite good except TV was angled on the wall and made viewing difficult. Breakfast was good and hot. Evening meals are available in the restaurant and bar and food was good in both. I enjoyed the curry on as a special one night. Complete parking for customers. A fitness suite for those with the energy left at the end of the day to use. Staff were very courteous and helpful. If you are in rooms 221 to 227 you may need a satnav to find it.Overall I would use again if in the area

Room Tip: First floor rooms are away from people traffic and quiet, there is a lift for those who need one
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Livingthedream49
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear John T

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our location good for you in terms of getting in and out of Manchester. Many of our guests enjoy staying out of the city to get away from the noise, traffic and parking problems & cost. We do offer free parking for all our guests and take great pride in looking after our guests.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I shall look into the signage to rooms 221-227.

Hope to see you again

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay - very good. Large, clean room with all the amenities one would expect. Shower particularly good.
Excellent breakfast. Pleasant, helpful staff at reception, bar and restaurant. All at a reasonable price. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive Double - large - and good value for the extra cost.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pacmanRutland

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay and that you found your room spacious and clean. I shall pass on your kind comments to the team who take great pride when they are recognised for looking after their guests.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My partner & I stayed at Smokies for 1 night on 2nd Nov 2013. This Hotel is lovely! There is ample parking for the Hotel which can be a problem with some other Hotels. Despite the onset of Autumn and leaves being everywhere it is obvious that this Hotel is regularly cleaned externally because the external appearance was very clean. Our room was warm, spacious and very clean. In fact, I suspect the whole Hotel had been refurbished very recently because the place is immaculate. The two young female receptionists were polite & helpful. We found a wedding taking place in the main Bar and I would assume that the wedding party were happy with their choice of venue as the Bar area is clean, smart and well laid out (with a big TV in one corner for the Sports fans like me). The Bar Man, Peppe, deserves a special mention because his manners were exemplary and he insisted on addressing all ladies as 'madam and all gentlemen as 'Sir'. He can be quite funny too, although after a long chat about football it is clear that his preference of Football teams needs some attention! Bar prices were a little more expensive than my local pub in Wigan yet were cheaper than many pubs in Oldham Town Centre & Ashton Under Lyne Town Centre. Aside from a great value stay at this Hotel we did have cause to seek out the General Manager because of a small problem with our room. Unfortunately he wasn't available at the time of our check out so we emailed him with details of our 'problem'. We were very impressed to receive a personal Email from him (within hours of our message) assuring us that he'd investigate our concerns when he returned to work the following day. Indeed, early the following day we received a very nice, personal reply from him with a remedy & explanation for our concerns. We consider this fantastic customer service. With regard to customer service you can't get better than that and the Manager should be commended for his effort in assisting us. Being employed in the manufacturing industry I know only too well that at times standards can slip and things do go wrong. It is what you do to remedy these problems that matter and I can safely say that the Manager & his team at Smokies have impressed us greatly with their genuine concerns and excellent assistance. So... Would we stay here again? Undoubtedly! Would we recommend this Hotel to our friends & family? Undoubtedly! Would we recommend the food & drink here? Unfortunately we were attending a function a couple of miles away so we did not eat here. However, judging by what we saw whilst we were there I suspect the food would be as good as the rest of the Hotel? With regard to the facilities here we never had the chance to experience them due to our presence at our function.
Readers of my other reviews will be in no doubt that if we weren't impressed by this Hotel I would have no problem in saying so. Thankfully, all I have to say about Smokies is positive!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Firstly, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and noticed many of the small details that can take a lot of effort, such as the leaf clearing, which during September & October is quite a task with the amount of trees we have. I am also glad that the team looked after you and that I was able to assist you personally.

Looking at your other reviews, it is clear that you are a very rounded and honest reviewer, so I take real pleasure in hearing your kind comments.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

thank you to all the staff at smokies we got married on the 19th October 2013 it was fab the food the buffet was amazing if you are thinking of having your wedding here they go out of there way for you no problem to small all the staff are wonderful a lot of our guests stayed over they all said they had value for there money and all said breakfast was lovely .I would like to mention Vicky the events manager she is lovely and Katie who was on the bar and served our wedding breakfast was lovely and could not do enough for us a BIG THANK YOU TO ALL also the D J provided by smokies was brilliant .and would I go there again a big yes 10 out of 10 thank you mr mrs jj hamnett

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 290joan

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased we were able to help make your day special. I shall pass on your kind words to the team, especially Vicky and Katie.

It was nice to hear that your guests enjoyed their stay in the hotel and the breakfast, finding us good value.

Hope we see you again soon

BEST WESTERN SMOKIES PARK HOTEL

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Me and my wife stayed for one night in the above we the staff very helpful and friendly, the room wasn't luxurious but very comfortable and clean. I would compliment the hotel on the meals we had both dinner and breakfast was superb and I might add if you order burgers or sandwiches I hope you have a very large appetite because they are huge very filling .I also would thank the staff for honesty as I left my credit cards in the desk drawer which were sent to my home at no cost to me by registered mail and I received them the next day. Well done Smokies staff you have our vote and we will stay again all the best to all Regards Mr & Mrs Newton Mansfield

Room Tip: My tip for staying is try them all we had ground floor double ( BRILLIANT)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Larry N

Thank you for staying with us and also taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit with your wife. I shall pass on your kind comments about your clean & comfortable room to the housekeeping team as they work very hard to keep high standards in our busy hotel.

I was also pleased that you found the team helpful and friendly throughout your stay. Finally, thank you for your review of our restaurant, enjoying both your evening meal and breakfast with us. I shall pass on your feedback to the chefs who take great pride in their work and will be very pleased to hear that you found your meals superb..

I am glad that we were able to help in returning your credit card.

I do hope you return again soon

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Really nice clean hotel rooms were great size and bed was massive great shower also. Staff were very friendly especially the blonde receptionist is
And she was a hottie. Food was great. Would defo come back and stay again if workin in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Heatpumpinstaller

Dear Heatpumpinstaller

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room & bed were a good size and very clean. I shall pass on your comments about our friendly staff, especially the blonde receptionist.

I am also pleased you enjoyed your meal and that you would like to come back.

Thanks again

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this because of its convenient location and were not disappointed, the room was clean and adequate, friendly helpful staff. We had problem with the heating in our room and were offered an upgrade free of charge to an executive room which was really great in fact we will pay extra next time to stay in this room it was lovely, jacuzzi bath, huge bed lots of nice little extra touches and a great view. The bar area was particularly nice with lots of big leather sofas I think I would have been quite happy staying in this hotel by myself which I do have to do occasionally. A very enjoyably stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Pinkdimond

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that you found the hotel well located for your visit to the area. We are well situated for Manchester, as well as many areas in greater Manchester.

Whilst you booked with us due to our location, I am pleased that you found more reasons to stay again, finding your room clean, the staff friendly & helpful. I am sorry that you had problems with your heating but am pleased that your were looked after with a free upgrade.

As you mentioned, our bar is a very warm & friendly place to relax. We often think about having it totally refurbished but I would not want to loss that homely feeling.

I do hope we see you again

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Clough Manor
Clough Manor
#1 of 1 in Denshaw
Premier Inn Oldham (Broadway) Hotel

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!