“Good service”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oldham
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Good service”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel as we have a daughter living in Manchester and there is easy access by tram from the nearby park and ride to the centre of Manchester. We have found the rooms to be pleasantly furnished and decorated. On our recent visit we had problems with the shower which was flooding the bathroom, but the staff promptly moved us to a dry room! The breakfast was excellent, as was the evening meal we had in the restaurant. There were functions going on on two of the nights we stayed, but the noise was well away from our room and we were not disturbed by it. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Jill M

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your second stay with us. I am sorry that you had problems with your shower but pleased to hear that the team looked after you well.

Thank you for staying with us and I do hope we see you again soon

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Manchester
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel after attending one of the narnia xmas parties. The party itself was great but getting a drink in the residents bar afterwards proved very difficult with a rather grumpy barman. Our room was right near to our party room which was great during the night but the noise in the morning when they were setting it up again was horrendous. Then there was breakfast. .....no clear tables, no clean cups, an irate chef heard from outside, cold beans no bacon or eggs. Party great, hotel not so much.

• Stayed December 2013
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear DdddCccc

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas party. I will not excuse a bar tender being grumpy but would like to explain that clearing out the Christmas party and making sure the hotel bar is only occupied by residences is a very tricky period and does cause a slight delay in service. We do this for the good of our in house guests, as 200 to 300 extra people in the bar would make things very difficult.

In terms of breakfast, I can only apologise as we let ourselves down so badly. The team on duty underperformed and buckled under the pressure. I am pleased to say this is well out of character for us and have had meetings with everyone concerned to make sure it does not happen again.

Hope we see you again

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I would just like to thank all staff for making our Xmas party (Narnia Icecapades) such a fantastic fun packed night!
All of my colleagues have said its the best Xmas party they have ever been to & I have to agree with them!
The food, staff, entertainment & cocktail bar were all excellent!
Loved the photo booth!!!
I would definitely recommend this hotel & can't wait to go back!
:-)))

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nadken
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear nadken

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear how much you and your colleagues enjoyed your Christmas party with us. It makes all the hard work we put into these events worthwhile when we hear such feedback.

We have already started planning next years parties and have decided on a "Fairy tale of New York theme". We are lucky enough to have booked the UK's best duelling piano's show. They are such a high energy, interactive, fun show and I can not wait. If you would like to see them in action then please visit, pianofactor.co.uk.

Thank you again and hope we see you again

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Myself and my partner decided on a weekend away in Manchester recently. Nothing too fancy just something cheap with a good location. The pictures of smokies looked great online and we didn't want to spend to much money so it looked like a great option. We arrived and the hotel staff were really friendly apart from the short barman who seemed slightly arrogant. It had a great bar with a tip top menu (I recommend the chicken wings) and the rooms were great for the price. We met another couple who were more local and really friendly and we shared a taxi into the city so we could save a few quid on cherryade and fizzy laces. We had a great night out and a lovely meal in Manchester but little did we know our night would get slightly strange. It was quite noisy but not too bad and me and my partner were fast asleep when all of a sudden at 07:00 am our bedroom door burst open and two sweaty men came charging through! One of the men grunted "ROIGHT WHO'S GOT GEAR?" They were both dressed like they had just got back from a night out and there was a strange smell of lubricant. One of the men sounded like he was from Newcastle and they appeared to both be sweating heavily! It shock me and my partner up however they were very apologetic and told us they had the wrong room. For some reason they took our room card for electricity which we found strange. We made a complaint at reception who were very apologetic and gave us a discount for the next time we stayed. All and all a great night but also very concerning!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Louisbrown
Dear Louis brown

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Firstly, I was pleased to hear that you liked our hotel, bar and menu and overall found the price good value for money.

I am also very concerned about the intruders into your room. We do have a very robust key system, which means such incidents don't happen. To be honest, I find what happened very hard to explain, as I have carried out a full investigation and the only card holders to your room on the night in question were yourselves. The only explanation I can offer is that your door had not totally shut, enabling entry from other guests. I have checked the door and lock and it is fully functional.

I can only offer my sincere apologies and assure you that this was a very isolated incident which I have not experienced before in my 2 years as General Manager here at Smokies Park Hotel. Thank you for reporting the incident, as I take the safety and security of my guests and team very seriously.

UK BIRMINGHAM
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Nice place to stay very clean and comfortable. There is a bar and restaurant with excellent food and drinks choice.
Alternately you can go on the main road and different restaurants and takeaways are available.
Breakfast was included Buffett style help yourself to whatever you fancy plenty of choice available.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and will return again in the future.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MEMSTA
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you liked the hotel, finding it clean and comfortable. I shall pass on your kind words to the chefs, who really appreciate such feedback

I do hope we see you again soon

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say? Always good and great staff, what more can i say?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank Neil D
Dear Neil D

Thank you so much for your review. It seems to me that you feel we are "Always good and great staff, what more can you say".

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
The Victoria Hotel
#11 of 13 in Oldham
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!