“'excellence is an understatement'”

Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“'excellence is an understatement'”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Dear staff at Smokies Best Western hotel we'd like to say that 'excellence is an understatement' for your staff performance, venue, facilites, hospitality, canopes, buffet, bacon butties, breakfast and effort! At our wedding on 12 April 2014 both Kevin and myself and all our family and friends (190 in total) from start to finish had the best day we have ever experienced. We'd like to say a special thank you to Sarah for managing the day and Kayleigh for organising our day and a massive thank you to all your staff for making our day so perfect. All staff were kind, considerate, really helpful and always had smiles of their faces. We couldn't have asked for a better day as it was more than we could ever have asked for. We'd recommend you to any of our family and friends who wish to have a special day or event or a stay in Oldham.

Many thanks from the bottom of our hearts Mr & Mrs Box :)

1 Thank B5ECY
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear B5ECY

Thank you so much for your review as it was very touching to receive such praise. I am so pleased we were able to help in making your special day one to remember for you and your guests.

I shall be passing on your kind words to the team who looked after you on the day and Kayleigh who organised it.

I would like to wish you all the best and hope we will see you again for any future celebrations.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The plus side. Everyone very helpful and the room was great. Normal access very good and we had Continental Breakfast both days of our stay and I've got to give the manageress full marks for attention to our needs.
The minus side. We both have disability badges and the disable bays are round at the rear of the hotel about as far away from the entrance as is possible. Access is through the fire doors which are normally shut and there is no means of calling the front desk for help. I had to call the hotel on my phone to open the door...............this is not good practice though the staff are there like a shot. But, suppose you don't have a phone or the number to call :-(. If there were a bell push to call the desk it would solve the problem.

Room Tip: The Receptionist seems to anticipate your requirements when the room is allocated.
Dear Frank B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you were well looked after and that you liked your room.

I am sorry that the disabled parking bays are not ideally located and have added 2 just outside reception since your visit. I was pleased that the team reacted quickly to help you would like to thank you for raising the issue.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights for a wedding on the 19th April and found the rooms to be comfortable and of good value. Staff were helpful and polite when approached and nothing seemed too much trouble. I accidentally left my handbag in the dining room with £2000 worth of jewellery inside and when I returned in a panic nearly half an hour later to look for it, I found it untouched with what look liked the supervisor standing guard over it. The rooms have all you need for a short stay and I would recommend Smokies, in fact I may book it again for another wedding in July.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pif1

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that your hand bag and jewellery were looked after by one of my team when you left it unattended.

The team here take great pride in looking after our guests and I shall pass on your kind comments.

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We attended a wedding here on 12th April. We stayed 1 night. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful. Despite 2 wedding parties on and me having 2 children we were not disturbed when the parties ended. Good selection at breakfast although food could have been topped up quicker with the amount of people. Overall was very pleased with our stay and would recommend.

Dear Kim R

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to write a review. We do our best to look after all our guest, whether they are here on business or leisure, on their own or with friends & family.

We strive to manage everyone's different requirements from their visit and I am pleased to hear that you and children got a good nights sleep when there was so much going on in the hotel.

I am sorry that the breakfast was not topped up quick enough for the volume of guests and will pass this feedback onto the food and beverage manager

London United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I attended a wedding there on Friday 11th April and stopped 2 nights . I found the hotel very pleasant and comfortable. The staff were excellent and extremely friendly nothing was too much for them. The room was lovely and despite being on the ground floor and overlooking the car park it was very quiet. Plenty of choice for breakfast and hot plates too. The Saturday evening meal (ordered from room service) was also very good. I found the local buses very good also the tram service from Ashton Under Lyne was also very good. On the whole an excellent weekend. I am afraid that I have to disagree with Adamswfc's comment this hotel is definitely equal in Standards to other Best Western Hotels in fact I found it better than the last one I stopped in. Chaplin Christine

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Chris91_11

Thank you for your review, it was great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoy hosting weddings and take great pride in looking after someone's very special day.

I am glad you found the local buses and tram service handy during your stay and that you had an excellent weekend

Come back soon

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I have just spent a night at this Best Western Hotel in room 402, an executive room it was not. The room was huge but had no carpet, only a laminate flooring. There was a 3 seater settee and an arm chair. Both sat very close to the floor so they were difficult to get out of. The bathroom looked great, a toilet of course, a basin, a bidet, a large headed shower that was powerful and a spa bath. But...the spa part of the bath was not working and the shower controls were reluctant to emit hot water. The mirror above the basin should have been lit by 2 lights but one was flickering so we contacted reception. Eventually a lady came equipped with a screwdriver but all she did was take out the offending light bulb, there was no replacement available. The room was lit by lamps and we had to move one so each of us had a light by the bed. The bed was comfy and a good nights sleep acquired. There was a bar area downstairs which was busy due to 2 wedding parties. The restaurant was pleasant enough. The food was ok, although we had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast and we were told that we only had £20 towards dinner although this was adequate. The staff were polite and caring. On the whole a good hotel, but it is not "Best". It could be so much better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Christine L

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some issues during your stay with your room. We take great pride in delivering a great product with friendly service and I hate letting anyone down.

Thank you for informing me of the problems you encountered and am sorry that the manager on duty was unable to rectify them for you at the time. We are always striving to get better and make improvements and always welcome feedback to help us.

Sutton, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Smokies Best Western was great value and great quality. I usually travel 5-star, and this hotel is up there with that quality. I was especially happy with the quality and comfort of the room. The front desk staff were very helpful and the Smokies breakfast was very good. There was also a very good exercise track along side the nearby disused canal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear David N

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I can't ask much more than you finding us great value and quality, with helpful staff and a good breakfast.

I am glad you enjoyed the near by exercise track along the canal. We do also have a small gym and have recently added a new treadmill to it.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Clough Manor
Clough Manor
#1 of 1 in Denshaw
The White Hart Inn at Lydgate

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!