“Smelt damp and no wifi”

Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
“Smelt damp and no wifi”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Was booked into smokies after being evacuated from my home due to a mill behind my home being demolished and it was unsafe for me to stay at home.
I had 2 friends visiting at the time so had to put all 3 of us in hotel.
Firstly none of the wifi was working,plus mobile reception is no good, the receptionist and manager did move us but that was even worse soon as we walked into the corridor all we could smell was damp, the manager informed us it was because someone had at some point blocked the plug hole in the bath and flooded the hotel, but it actually smelt like it had been damp for a while.
We actually decided to check out and not stay as the smell actually made my friend feel sick and she was unable to keep in contact with her mum that was actually looking after her daughter while she was away.
The staff did try to help but just felt like we couldn't stay after smelling the damp on the ground floor

• Stayed April 2014
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Jane B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that you experienced some issues. Firstly, I would like to explain that the damp smell had been caused by another guest damaging the bath taps and then blocking the plug hole, creating quite a big flood in that room and the whole corridor. This had happen a few days before your stay but the extent of the damage to the carpets did mean that we had an unavoidable damp smell whilst we sourced replacement carpets.

The Wi-Fi issues have now been resolved and I am sorry about the inconvenience caused which resulted in you not staying as you needed to be in contact with your family.

We always do our best to look after our guests but sometimes things crop up out of our control, which is very frustrating for us, as we hate to let our guests down.

I am so sorry

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed few time at this Hotel. The hotel is easy to find with plenty of parking but very difficult layout. Reception was quick. The rooms are comfortable, clean and there was plenty of hot water despite the hotel being full. The staff were friendly. The wifi in the rooms was patchy and slow. This time they had mid-week weeding party and it was very noisy around 1-2am. Breakfast was very good - plenty of choice and it was well cooked. Prices are reasonable. If you are looking for a place to stay overnight - then I would recommend this hotel

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Ghulam Q

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and it is nice to hear from a regular guest. I am pleased to hear that you would recommend us to others visiting the area. I am sorry that during your recent visit there was some noise from other guests and that the Wi-Fi was patchy. We do our best to control the noise, which this can be difficult when other guests are celebrating. We have had some new routers installed since your visit to keep improving the Wi-Fi facility signal around the whole building.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast and I am glad you find us good value for money.

See you again soon

Manchester England
Reviewed 11 May 2014

First time here and it proved to be excellent value. A really attractively furbished modern hotel. y Although in an urban setting it is near to one entrance to Daisy Nook Country Park . Efficient friendly local staff. Lovely room even though just a Standard Grade. Had the TV had a DVD player it would have been perfect. Tasty breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paul B

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you found it value for money and our standard rooms of a good quality. I am sorry that our TV's don't have a DVD player but I shall give it consideration next time we change them. I shall pass on kind comments about the team and breakfast.

I am glad you enjoyed Daisy Nook Country Park which is near to the hotel.

Hope to see you again soon

Chippenham
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When I'm in the Manchester area there is no choice for me! I normally book an executive room which are great value. Very clean comfortable room with some great features.
The restaurant is fantastic, try the ribs to start and the steaks, cooked as you like them and so tender!
Staff are so friendly I really enjoy my stays.

Room Tip: Executive room are great!
1 Thank Chris B
Dear Chris B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and to hear that we are your favourite BEST WESTERN is praise indeed. All BEST WESTERN hotels are very unique and different but we all take great pride in looking after our guests.

We are slightly different from other hotel chains in the fact that whilst we have to all deliver high standards, we have the flexibility to do it with our own personality and not be constrained by too many rules that can get in the way of treating our guests as individuals.

I am so pleased that you found your room clean and comfortable, the restaurant fantastic and the staff friendly.

I know you stay with us often, which gives me great pride that we consistently deliver these standards

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel has a family because we went to a wedding there. Great clean rooms and staff were also very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend if you are in Oldham because they cater for old and young

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jackie B
Dear Jackie B

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay. We really enjoy looking after our guests and try our best to give them a home from home experience, as it can be difficult for family's being away from their own home.

I shall pass on your feedback and hope we see you again soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on business, the room (ground floor, had a note saying they had a water leak recently) was clean & fine although lit by lamps, no "main" light. Reception, bar and restaurant staff superb and food (breakfast & evening) excellent. car park outside can get busy but parking is available around the "back" as well. there is a Tesco express about 1 mile away, and a pub just over the road. Already booked again for next week.

1 Thank Moorlander1969
Dear Moorlander1969

Thank you for your review of our hotel and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. It is even more pleasing to hear from a guest who stayed with us for 3 nights and to know that we got it right throughout the whole stay.

I am very proud of the team and shall pass on your kind words.

Thank you and look forward to welcoming you back

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Damp smell in room found note tucked away explaining it was a water leak. Room was clean. Noise from other rooms and hallway was like walls and door made of paper. Got woken up 3 times from people in hallway one of them noisy drunk. Won't be staying here again also next door is a bar so parking could be awkward.

• Stayed April 2014
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Jim O

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. The damp smell your experienced was due to an unforeseen water leak from another bedroom which created the bad smell in the corridor. We are in the process of replacing the carpet in the bedroom that had the leak and the corridor outside it. Such events are very rare and we do our best to rectify them as quick as possible.

I am also sorry about the noise you experienced during the night. We do have a night team on duty to manage such issues, who can be called upon at any time to help our guest. They do their best to proactively manage other guests behaviour but this can sometimes be a very difficult job, especially when they have been drinking.

I do hope you give us 2nd chance as these issues are not a far reflection of our hotel but totally understand your disappointment.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Clough Manor
Clough Manor
#1 of 1 in Denshaw
The White Hart Inn at Lydgate

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!