“Great quality hotel!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Great quality hotel!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a great stay here recently whilst attending a friends wedding at the venue.
My room was spacious, clean and well decorated and had an extremely comfortable bed. I heard no noise at all and slept really well!

The breakfast in the morning was very tasty indeed!

My room was in a quiet part of the hotel, but there are rooms that are very close to the function rooms where weddings etc take place. I would imagine that these rooms would be much louder and so it's something to consider

Room Tip: I had room 108. It's right on the ground floor next to reception (which worried me when I turne...
1 Thank Damien S
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Damien S

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I really appreciate your comments about your bedroom and breakfast as we work very hard to look after our guests and it is nice to hear from satisfied visitors.

Hope you had a good time at the wedding your attended and hope we see you again

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Poor Chris S. I wonder if he/she was there at the same time as us? We heard from fellow travellers about the 'drugs bust' that went on in the early hours of the first morning of our 3 night stay. Some described it as "something out of CSI". We were informed that it did get rather noisy (esp. if you were at the front, courtyard side of the building). We heard nothing at the rear. That was the Thursday evening/Friday morning.
I believe on the Friday the hotel had a 'hen night' and a school 'prom', indeed the 'bride to be' and her entourage stayed at Smokies. Obviously another couple of potentially noisy events.
On the Saturday was a wedding reception. What can I say?

We had a delightful stay. The food was excellent and the staff were extremely polite and very helpful.
Special mention must go to Peppe the restaurant manager who was extremely entertaining and very efficient. Breakfasts were fantastic and as is mentioned by others, the sausages were really tasty. Everything was obviously freshly prepared and dishes continually being 'topped up'.
We also had our dinners at the hotel on our three night stay and the staff catered exceptionally well for our party, which must have numbered around the 60 mark.
On only one occasion was there a problem with serving our desert course. This wouldn't have normally warranted a mention, but we were all booked to 'be somewhere' on that evening.

We 'looked up' the area before travelling and found there was a country park just below the hotel. This we thought was well worth a visit, and the staff at the hotel explained how to get there.
We would thoroughly recommend this park (Daisy Nooks) to any visitor to the area.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor at the rear of the hotel. Not much of a view from our window but it was q...
1 Thank Ray C
Dear Ray C

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your 3 days stay with us and that you found the food good and had service to match. I shall pass on your comments to the team and Peppe, who looked after you.

I was also pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your breakfast each morning.

Glad that you enjoyed your visit to Daisy Nook

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A group of us stayed here for a few days. I had asked for, and had confirmed, that I had a top floor room as I am a poor sleeper and I listen to my DAB radio which only seems to work in top floor rooms of hotels, experience tells me.
They had not booked me a top floor room and despite asking three times and explaining why, I was point blank refused. An hour later one of my friends arrives and he is given a top floor room, he did mind where he stayed, the rooms were the same.
There was queuing at breakfast as some of the tables had been set up for evening meals making a table shortage.
At the evening meal the puddings never arrived.
The following day at breakfast right next to my table a young waiter was being given a severe telling off for arriving late.
A drugs bust at the back of the hotel on our first night with all the flashing lights and noise. The hotel cannot be held responsible for that disruption
The following night there was a group of rowdy men in the courtyard at 3am but nothing was done until a customer complained.
Any vegetarians had no protein to speak of in there evening meals. When challenged Chief said he hadn't thought of that!.
So there you are, a comfy bed, poor service and unhealthy food.
I presume that Best Western pitch themselves a cut above Holliday Inn well on this occasion they came a miserable second.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have the better aspect but run the risk of noise
2 Thank Chris S
Dear Chris S

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry about some of the problems you experienced but feel I need to explain why they happened.

On the day in question you checked in as part of a large party and all your rooms had been pre allocated to make check in as quick as possible. As the hotel was full, it makes last minute requests very difficult to arrange, as it does have a knock on effect on the other rooms. We also had 2 weddings taking place that also had certain room requirements, making the task even harder.

We had been informed that your group had to be out of the hotel straight after dinner but on the day tis time was moved forward by 30 minutes, which we only found out at the end of serving your main course, meaning that some of the group were asked to leave the restaurant(by the coach driver, when we were about to serve dessert, which resulted in some of the group not getting it.

I am sorry about the other guests being noisy. We do have a night team in place to look after such events and do their best to control rowdy guests but sometimes all their efforts are in vain.

Finally we did have an incident, which required the police to attend but this was a very unusual situation which thankfully was well handled.

Calne
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is a very good Hotel on the main road between Ashton Under lyne and Olham and free from trafic noise. Easy access from the M 60 (Manchester Orbital motoway) Very friendly and welcoming reception staff. Comfortable lounge bar and Good English Breakfast. Ample parking around the Hotel. If your thinking of a wedding reception this Hotel is very good at presentation and service

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel have pleasant outlook
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Romeo Caine

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your stay with us and am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I was also pleased that you found that our hotel was in a good location for motorway access and free from traffic noise.

I shall pass on your kind comments to the team and hope we see you again soon

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I recently stayed here on business with some colleagues. The hotel is well placed with good road links for appointments in Manchester and the surrounding areas. We were actually lucky enough to stay a couple of nights. We were all delighted with our rooms. The room that I had was fantastic, spotlessly clean, wifi, lovely big TV, mini bar and a large comfy bed. The restaurant was perfect as it meant that we could eat at the hotel rather than having to out looking for food and it was very good value for money. The breakfast is a buffet and I would recommend this especially the sausages. We all found the staff to be exceptional. The Manager was very welcoming and active. There was a large footballing dinner on whilst we were there and he made sure that we were looked after and not adversely effected in any way. Excellent!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the executive floor if they have any available.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tripoway

Thank you for your review of our hotel and for all your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you were well looked after, enjoying your room, dinner, breakfast and stay in general. We did have a large event on during your stay and was so glad that this did not have a negative impact .

I shall pass on your kind words to the team and again thank you for writing your review

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here over the park life weekend and it was great lovely staff who didn't mind dealing with drunk idiots till the early hours of the morning hotel is clean and tidy and the bar serves decent grub

Room Tip: Dont go here when there are any music festivals or gigs in Heaton park
1 Thank Rob S
Dear Rob S

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, finding the team helpful and effective looking after other guests who had been drinking until the early hours. It is very hard to look after all our guests who are with us for many different reasons but we do our best.

Grimsby
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Best Western Hotel in Oldham.
The staff were really friendly and couldnt do enough for me. They happily came to my room when I had a problem using my security card to enter my room and then show me how to use it to operate the lights. The bedroom was excellent and the bed was so comfortable I had a good 3 nights sleep. The food was really good too. I would recommend Best Western to all who need overnight accommodation while staying in the Oldham area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan G
Dear Alan G

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Sorry you had problems using your key to enter the room and then use the lights but I am glad that reception were on hand to help you.

I am pleased you found your room comfortable and that you had 3 good nights sleep. I shall pass on your kind comments to all the hotel and kitchen team and hope we see you again soon.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
The Victoria Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,525 reviews

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!