“wonderful western”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Oldham
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“wonderful western”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here in an executive room which was lovely, It was on the 3rd floor which had lovely views from the windows it was also very quiet due to there only being 3 rooms on this floor, I have to say all the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, the breakfast was also excellent, Thankyou to all for a delightful stay.

2 Thank Happyholidayer8
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear happholidayer8

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was so pleased that you liked you room and found the team here extremely pleasant and helpful. We do pride ourselves on looking after our guests and are always humbled to receive such high praise.

Hope we see you again soon.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Suffolk, England
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Good standard hotel (we were staying over weekend for wedding) staff efficient and helpful, room clean and well-equipped, bar meals excellent and happy to serve us at 9.30pm, good cooked breakfast in the morning. Highly recommended.
Only negative was it was very hot in room, but we did have thunderstorms/heatwave!!! so can't blame hotel.A fan might be good in the rooms.

Room Tip: Even though weddings in hotel, not a lot of noise really.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alicat13

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and shall pass on your kind comments to the team. I am sorry about the heat you experienced in your room and would like to thank you for being understanding. We don't have fans in the room but they are available from reception, should you stay with us again.

Darlington (uk)
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Finding a good hotel in Oldham seems difficult; having stayed at the very poor Holiday Inn in the area I went to another brand in the Best Western and booked the executive room to increase my chances of a decent stay.

On arrival I found the hotel OK, the entrance was well presented and the staff on reception were friendly enough. After that what I found was a hotel which was probably good in the 1990s but was looking sadly worn. The room I had was spacious and reasonable but was a bit dated and not really what I would class as an executive room.

I did have some trouble at the hotel over my payment, as I had booked rooms for me and two business colleagues and paid on arrival only to receive a call to say I had only paid for one of the two nights we were staying – which was incorrect and which I challenged. I was told that this would be looked into and I would be contacted with an update. I never heard anything further following that call.

In terms of the restaurant and bar this was again OK but nothing spectacular. The barman was not particularly friendly and was quite keen to pack up in the evening. In terms of the restaurant the food was fine, but as usual it was menu full of unhealthy fried options. I had a salmon dish with green beans and the green beans were fired in a deep fat fryer with batter!! I really wish those responsible for catering and menus in these places paid more attention to producing more healthy options – keep the bad stuff by all means, but please give us travelers half a chance to look after ourselves.

On the whole this hotel is fine, if you are unfortunate enough to need to go to Oldham for a night or two but really its nothing special!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear graemeboro

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you didn't really enjoy your visit to Oldham or our hotel. Best Western hotels pride themselves on being individual and I feel that whilst our hotel is not a new build, it has plenty of personality and charm. We pride ourselves on looking after our guests, which is well demonstrated from the many reviews we receive.

I have respond to your review on our tripadvisor restaurant site, concerning your meal. The dish you ordered from our specials was served with tempura battered green beans, as described. We have a fantastic menu with great choice and are always happy to swap and change items on the menu to meet the needs of our guests.

Hope you give us another try when you are next in the area.

Leeds
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My Wife, my son and I stayed for one night; we were attending a wedding at the Hotel. Nice room and friendly staff. Hotel allowed us an extra hour to check out due to the wedding. Breakfast was extra £9 each! Car park is quiet cramped.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GM_SmokiesOldham, General Manager at Best Western Hotel Smokies Park, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Sam traveller 021

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay and that you liked your room, the late check out and the guest service you received.

Our car park can get busy at certain times but we do have a large overflow next door for such occasions. I of course take on board your feedback about the price of breakfast. It does include an all you can eat hot and cold buffet, hot & cold drinks. Often places advertise breakfast at a far cheaper price but bolt on charges for toast, drinks etc, which soon adds up to a higher price than we charge. I prefer an open and honest pricing, with no hidden charges.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had our wedding at Smokies 12/7/14 and it was just a perfect day. Ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception all in the Crompton suite....Staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble....Special thanks to Kathryn, servers and chefs who looked after us that day. Many of our guests commented on how good the food was, especially the evening buffet. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to family and friends in the future.

2 Thank JOHN_Bucky7
Dear John_Bucky7

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding with us and I am so pleased you had a great day and that we were able to make it special for you. I shall pass on your kind comments to the whole team, especially Kathryn and the head chef.

Don't now be a stranger, come and see us again soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stay in Best Western's regularly for work however I was quite disappointed with Smokies after driving from East Sussex all the way up to Oldham (a long drive) I arrived at about ten to ten. I had already asked my partner to check what time they stop serving room service (10pm) and when I arrived I thought as I was nearing the 10pm mark I would just order some quick food when at reception. The man on reception called the kitchen and was on the phone making not impressed faces at me to which I then responded 'if it is going to be that much trouble I'll just go out and get something' anyway long story short I did end up getting my food however only after I was made to feel exceptionally bad about ordering (even though they state online and in the room that they serve until 10pm). Over all not a bad stay but really disappointed with the staff after such great stays elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Grace M

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and am sorry about the issue with rooms service, as it sounds that this spoilt what would have been a good stay otherwise.

I have talked to the head chef to ensure that his team deliver our promise of serving rooms service until 10pm as advertised. This is very out of character for us and hope you can except my apology.

Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked this Hotel to stay for my sister in laws wedding last weekend. Having booked one of the Superior rooms we were disappointed that the mattress on the bed was very poor with springs sticking in your back.(they did give us another duvet to put under the bottom sheet). Although the room was clean the carpet had a number of stains on and the passageways and stairways up to the room are in desperate need of redecorating.
On both the Saturday and Sunday they had large wedding functions on and we were unable to get breakfast on the Sunday morning as there was a twenty minute wait for a table. I have never experienced this before and find it wholly unacceptable that having paid for a service it was not forthcoming. All in all possibly ok to stay in the week but I would definitely avoid this hotel at weekends.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room at the back of the hotel otherwise you will hear noise from the function rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Janet H

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. We are always maintaining our hotel and replacing items that need replacing and would like to apologise that your mattress was not up to standard and has now been replaced. The staircase leading to the superior rooms has also been redecorated

I am also sorry that you did not get too take breakfast with us. As you mentioned, we had large wedding parties staying with us that did make breakfast very busy, especially at the end of service.

Whilst all guests can dine at breakfast whenever they wish, I would recommend coming earlier when the restaurant is often quieter.

I do hope this experience has not put you off staying with BEST WESTERN again as these situations are very uncommon.

BEST WESTERN Smokies Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldham
The Victoria Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,525 reviews

Been to Best Western Hotel Smokies Park? Share your experiences!