“Beware of the smoking rooms”

Britannia Hotel Stockport
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a National holiday one night break. We were expecting the worst as we had read all of the reviews on here before we set off. We were checked in quickly and given our key in a brown envelope. On entering the room we were hit by a strong smell of cigarettes. To a non smoker this was totally unacceptable considering we had specifically asked for a non smoking room, yes this hotel allows guest to smoke in the rooms! We went straight back to reception to complain and to be fair the young man on reception changed our room straight away. The room we were given next was better than the previous but still very old fashioned and the bed was a little hard but the linen seemed clean. The rooms need a good clean yes they are old fashioned but there is no excuse for lack of cleaning. The good points are that the food on the evening meal was to a decent standard with help yourself buffet as was the breakfast. Also the bar are was fairly modern and the drinks were relatively cheap although they could do with more bar staff serving. In all the hotel was bearable for one night for the price we paid for this trip and I do think it depends on the room you get but I would not stay here again by choice. Britannia hotels have a reputation and this one certainly lives up to it.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room if you do not want to choke on the smoke fumes from the room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank treacle5
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here with my wife on an overnight stay with national holidays. On arriving through a narrow alley we passed the kitchens where the chefs were outside smoking and straight ahead , a pile of bed mattresses thrown against a skip. We booked a double non smoking room and yes we got a smokey dusty 70s decorated room, I rang reception on the filthy phone and no one answered so we went down to change our room. This was changed and we were given a slightly cleaner room (just) but it didn't smell of smoke with wardrobe door hanging off and a tv that wasn't much bigger than its remote control. As we went for dinner the member of staff who greeted us nearly broke her neck by slipping on food on the dining room floor. I thought the dinner was better than I expected but there wasn't a great deal of choice. The bar area was poor as one serving and about 8 waiting to be served.This hotel does need a major refurbishment and the basics of cleanliness needs addressing. My initial thoughts were everything was done on the cheap even the amount of Eastern European staff who are probably on the minimum wage. A little better than I expected from previous reviews but Britannia you really really really must spend money on your hotels instead of running them down.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David M
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Hotel room could do with update and a good clean . Mould on curtains and stains on wall and carpet .Evening meal was a very strange tasteless mixture. The view from my bedroom window was of bins of dirty laundry.Breakfast was the highlight of the stay .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here on a national coach holiday,we found the staff friendly,and were soon checked in,we found our room to be clean,also the bathroom.The twin beds were comfortable but were very narrow,The evening meal was just ok,but the breakfast had a good selection of fruits,and everything you could want for breakfast,not somewhere to spend to much time but ok for a couple of nights.It does need an update.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed her one night last week on a National Holidays trip. We asked and got a 3 bedded room for myself and my daughters.
The hotel is old as others have said but staff were fine and generally I have no big complaint except our room. I have stayed in economy hotels but never had a room like 126.
Small very old room with 3 single beds and with a filthy carpet and a dirty bathroom floor.
The bedding looked clean (I hope) and so were the fluffy white towels. The bath etc seemed ok too.
I never saw a room anything like this on their website! Do they save them for the National Holidays guests?
I won't be rushing back thankyou.

Room Tip: Ask about upgrading, you may find a better room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

the cleanliness needs improvement we were unable to use the bathtub due to the metal plug being pulled and unable to use the shower because the parts of the showerhead were on the edge of the bath tub the breakfast was average and the dinner was less than desirable the we do not drink and enjoy watching television in the evening we were unable to watch some of our programs due to the fact there were only a few channels as there was no freeview the furniture in the room could do with an update as the tv was a very old one and the chair in the room was too big and interfered with opening the closet we had to move the coffee/tea tray to the bed in order to set up the laptop on a small vanity type dresser that also had a lamp on it it would be better if they just put a wall mounted light above the dresser mirror and instead of the oversized chair it would be better to have a chair that can slide under the dresser there weren't enough staff on the bar and there were long line up so that by the time I got our coke drinks our dinner was cold I should've got the drinks first and stood in the dinner que with glasses in my hand

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Six of my friends and I spent last weekend at the hotel. Having read the previous reviews, we went with open minds. The hotel could do with an overhaul, but the rooms were clean and the beds spotless (previous pictures showed the opposite). The shower mat needed renewing in Room 109, but ample tea/coffee milk etc was supplied in our rooms. The food served in the dining room needed the help of James Martin. As a vegetarian, I did not get a choice in the main course. The first evening I had vegetable stew, the next vegetable lasagne. The pasta was a bit stodgey. My friends indulged themselves in the desserts and said that they were delicious as was their main courses. The staff could not have been more attentive and I watched them carry out their duties with diligence. It is a pity that the hotel gets a bad reputation as the staff do not deserve any criticism.

Room Tip: Apart from the noisy floor boards and the residents above thumped about from early morning, it is no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends