“terrible and dirty”

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“terrible and dirty”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

we stayed at the hotel for two days and the food was warmed up and the bathroom was discusting all of our beds where stained and floors where just manky overall rating would be 1 i would not recommed it to anyone

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Megan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

On entering the building my first thought was dull and lifeless and that can go for the staff too.
It is clear no money is being spent on maintenance, cleanliness, furnishings or staff training/customer service skills.
The room was dirty, bed sheets stained and curtains.
After a few minutes if being in the poorly lit, dusty room I vacated and opted to stay at a much nicer cleaner hotel down the road. Think it was called bamford arms.
Do not stay at britannia, it is vile

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 231nf123

Travellers are raving about these Stockport hotels

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is by far the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in. The room was small and smelled of chlorine mixed with cigarette smoke, and it was filthy. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned recently, the worst of it being severe black mould around the windows and the dirty net curtains, there was human hair in the bath, and generally I wanted to spend as little time in the room as possible. Luckily this wasn't a problem as reception decided to call me at 5:50 for a wake up call which I hadn't ordered and again at 6:30 advising that my taxi (that again I hadn't ordered) was waiting for me. When I told them of these errors when checking out, they tried to blame it on other clientele trying to call my room?! Eventually they apologised. The waiting staff in the dinning room we're ineffectual and rude, I ended up going for the safe option of cereal as every plate I looked at was again filthy, not installing confidence in the level of cleanliness in the kitchen. I stay in Stockport frequently, so I know there are better hotels (any in fact) than this and will never stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Joyeknapp
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed for one night as it was my husbands works christmas party nearby. The hotel used to be very nice as we stayed their 5yrs ago and it was nice. Boy how things change in 5yrs. The rooms are very small, old fashioned and in need of updating, you can hear every single creak and squeak of other guests in their rooms which is rather annoying at 3am when you are trying to sleep, the walls must be paper thin and floorboards old and rotten. It cost us £101 for the night which i think is ridiculous regardless of it being near christmas and a saturday night. I will be sticking to a premier inn next time. Very very annoyed and wont be back.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank emmakenyon
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Ok it was £37 per night so I wasn't expected the ritz. It was cheap and clean. However i was woken at 2am by the neighbours having very noisy sex. The walls were so thin I could everything so I would not stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kay3110
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here for one night with national holidays. The coach took us to the rear entrance, not the best, but check-in was quick. I was in a single room next to the very old and slightly noisy lift, room appeared clean although when in the bath you could see where the bottom of the sink hadn't been cleaned in a long time and I think my kettle was last on sale circa 1983. If you're going to use net curtains then at least ensure they are clean. On the plus side the food was good, so good most people of the coach piled their plates up as if they weren't going to see food for the next fortnight. As with most Britannia hotels this one could do with a makeover but was okay for the price.

Room Tip: Room 160 is next to a noisy old lift which combined with inconsiderate guests means not the best sle...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Helen H
co durham
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a National holiday one night break. We were expecting the worst as we had read all of the reviews on here before we set off. We were checked in quickly and given our key in a brown envelope. On entering the room we were hit by a strong smell of cigarettes. To a non smoker this was totally unacceptable considering we had specifically asked for a non smoking room, yes this hotel allows guest to smoke in the rooms! We went straight back to reception to complain and to be fair the young man on reception changed our room straight away. The room we were given next was better than the previous but still very old fashioned and the bed was a little hard but the linen seemed clean. The rooms need a good clean yes they are old fashioned but there is no excuse for lack of cleaning. The good points are that the food on the evening meal was to a decent standard with help yourself buffet as was the breakfast. Also the bar are was fairly modern and the drinks were relatively cheap although they could do with more bar staff serving. In all the hotel was bearable for one night for the price we paid for this trip and I do think it depends on the room you get but I would not stay here again by choice. Britannia hotels have a reputation and this one certainly lives up to it.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room if you do not want to choke on the smoke fumes from the room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank treacle5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Trivelles Mayfair
Bredbury Hall Hotel
#8 of 15 in Stockport
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!