“New Year Break”

Britannia Hotel Stockport
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Booked mystery break with CalsedonianTravel and when notified ten days before departure as to where we were going, my husband and I looked at reviews on Tripadvisor and have to say
we were not looking forward to going to this hotel.
Arrived on the 30th. and left on the 2nd January and can honestly say we had a great time. our room was on the ground floor, very clean , clean bedding and towels I think this part of the hotel
has been recently renovated.
Good choice of food at all meals, breakfast choice as good as any five star hotel just great!!
New years eve meal a bit disorganised but as there was four coaches in also self drive clients
the staff coped remarkably well, there was no cream or ice cream to go with the sweet as it was
all chocolate desserts you really need some cream to go with them, but management compensated by putting bottles of wine on the table, I know what I would rather have, yes the wine.
To sum up I will say for the price paid thought this was agood value, also found staff friendly
considering the pressure they were under, I have come to the conclusion that some people
will moan about the smallest things, perhaps they should go to five star hotels and pay five
star prices not what was paid for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Rooms was dated.dirty walls,bed sheets and blood on the 'fresh and clean' towels. Food was disgusting. Staff unhelpful,miserable and took 5 responses to sort a domestic row out in the room below. Gave us free use of the leasure facilities but it was only open for 30 mins by the time we got there, no cash point or entertainment. No help when asking where nightlife was. We went on a twixmas tour with national holidays. Ive slept in cleaner conditions at glastonbury festival!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days with new years eve package. This included dinner on the 30th Dec, breakfast and a 4 course meal and disco on the 31st Dec and breakfast and dinner on the 1st Jan. Room was clean and dinner was plentiful and tasty. Room was noisy due to heating during the night, complained in the morning and was given a new room straightaway. Again this room was clean. New years eve food was excellent, disco did play a few songs from well before my time but it was a very enjoyable night. Lazed about on the 1st Jan and again dinner was fine. Used the spa facilities every day which was very relaxing. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a very enjoyable 3 days. The only thing I could complain about was that the hotel had lots of guests who felt the need to moan and complain to the staff about some of the most trivial things. I'm sure these same people would moan about winning the lottery. Again, clean rooms, good food and helpful staff. and very enjoyable.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

As a regular commercial booker of this hotel I was totally shocked at the way I was treated on my new years eve visit , the quality of the room, the fiasco at breakfast and the after sales service when I complained-all showed a complete lack of customer care and service and I would strongly no visitors to Stockport use this hotel which clearly has seen far better days

Room Tip: don't book
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

stayed at the hotel on an organised trip. we had requested a cot for our 9 month old daughter, yet upon getting to our room they had placed a single bed in an already tiny room. when I requested a cot at reception they told me 'we have put a single bed in instead' once I explained they soon came, removed the bed and gave us a cot. I also had to ask someone to hoover the room as our little girl was crawling around and the floor was filthy, big clumps of hair all over, full room could of really done with a good clean! we had breakfast and tea at the hotel which we can not fault, good choice and tasty. We didn't use the leisure facilities so cant comment on that.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel room was excellent value and very spacious. I visit it twice a year for a 3 day convention. Very generous buffet breakfast included. Easy parking, close to motorway, it is quiet for sleeping.

Room Tip: So far all rooms are sound.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

went here for a new years break and after reading the reviews we were not expecting too much. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room it was clean and bed was comfortable. We had a good size bathroom with bath and shower plenty of hot water. The food was good and plenty of it and considering there were 3 coaches and other holidaymakers i think the staff coped very well. Yes the meal was slow on new years eve but the 4 bottles of wine on the table helped things along. The DJ played good selection of music everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I would have liked the entertainment to have gone on longer on the other 2 nights it finished at 10 which seemed a bit early. We ordered wine when booking which made life easier and cheaper. You could catch the bus to Stockport which ran every 15 minutes so you didnt have to use the car, also the car park in the hotel was huge so no fighting to find places. There was a fitness centre and swimming pool in hotel.We found everywhere clean only criticism of the room was a draughty window but we just pulled curtain over it all in all a really good value for money hotel. We would go back again for a festive occasion at the price we paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Holiday Inn Express Stockport
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Wycliffe Hotel
Wycliffe Hotel
#4 of 15 in Stockport

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!