“Be aware of mis-information on the website.”

Britannia Hotel Stockport
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Malvern, England, United Kingdom
“Be aware of mis-information on the website.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked an Executive room for a week as the website states there is a work desk.
When I got there I went into the smallest room I have ever been in, and certainly no work space. When I went to reception they didn't seem to care and told me none of their rooms have desks. I left immediately.
Be aware also that you still have to pay for the leisure centre the same as everyone else. You get nothing for being a resident.
They need to bring this hotel into this century as it's very dated and musty with surly staff. I won't be going again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dave B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Scarborough
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We Stayed as part of our National Holiday weekend away 11th - 12th January, We were not met on the coach as there was only one member of staff on Reception, we were quickly in our rooms, which were the usual Britannia standard tired and worn but clean and nice and warm. Dinner was good, and Breakfast was the usual standard Breakfast but was nice and hot, very busy and staff were very helpful, and pleasant, would I go again, fine for an overnight stop. but not for a week.

Room Tip: our ground floor room was fine looked out on the car park, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had the miss-fortune to stay here for a night as part of a stay and park deal when going to the Canaries for a cruise. Out side it looks OK but inside it's dirty and in desperate need of some serious TLC. A 2 course evening meal was advertised when we booked but the restaurant was closed and we had to make do with very poor bar meals. We asked the bar staff if there was a place near by where we could get a reasonable meal, a sharp no was the reply. Breakfast? don't know about it as we had an early start so decided to eat at the air port; that tells you something. Even allowing for the cost of 10 days parking at the Britannia Country Club; which looked worlds away from this Britannia; this is now way acceptable value.

Room Tip: don't book one!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony m

Travellers are raving about these Stockport hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

As a seasoned traveller having stayed in countless hotels of varying degrees of quality in the UK and further afield, I can quite easily say that this is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

I'd heard from my sister who lives in Stockport that this used to be a really good hotel but that she'd heard it had gone downhill somewhat over recent years. However, I had to be in Stockport with 2 friends on a Friday and Saturday night for my 40th birthday celebrations, which made my normal choice of the Premier Inn at the Old Rectory or the Bamford Arms out of the budget. I pretty much booked this hotel with the view that it was simply somewhere to sleep at the end of the day, so didn't go there with any expectations of luxury or even particular quality, but I didn't expect what we got!

My booking was for a double room (which had to be pre-paid) and a single room (which had to be paid for on arrival). Myself and a friend had the double, whilst another friend (who snores loudly, hence why I didn't go for a family room) had what was supposed to be a single. We got room 166, which is on the left hand side of reception on the first floor, accessed by an ancient old-fashioned lift, where you have to manually open and close the inner and outer doors... the alarm bells should've started ringing then! When we got to the room, we found it was tiny. It had a double bed that was the hardest I've ever slept in, with a bedside table on one side of the bed, but nothing on the other. There was a small portable tv that had the aerial unplugged, so we had to grapple behind it to plug it in. There was also a small vanity unit with the tea/coffee making facilities on it. This in itself would've been fair enough, as it really was just somewhere to sleep.

However, we soon discovered that there was no hot water in the rooms. My friend in the single room reported this to a disinterested receptionist, pointing out that we needed showers, as we'd been driving for 5 hours to get there and had to get ready to go to the theatre. They couldn't care less. We were informed that a plumber had been but couldn't get the parts until the following day, so we let it rest for the time being.

However, the following day there was still no hot water before we had to go out in the morning or when we returned in the afternoon. Again, we reported this to a different, but equally disinterested receptionist and were told someone would go and check out the problem and get back to us. Nope, didn't happen. It later transpired that there was hot water in the gym, but weren't offered the use of these showers until we were heading out the door to my 40th birthday party. They then sort of managed to sort the problem so that there was at least warmish water in the hand basins, but not in the showers in the rooms. However, this had gone again by Sunday morning.

When checking out on Sunday morning, I made a formal complaint to yet another disinterested individual who said there was nothing he could do, but he had out room numbers and would get his Duty Manager to ring me. You've guessed it, I am still waiting!

I will never stay at this hotel again or any other in the Britannia chain and for future visits to see family in Stockport, will definitely go back to the Premier Inn hotels, even if they are more expensive. Avoid this place like the plague... Once they've got your cash, they couldn't care less.

Room Tip: At a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vodster
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here one night as part of a package coach holiday. Hotel generally seems neglected and tired which is a pity as it had obviously been a very good hotel in its time. Many of the furnishings and much of the decor is in need of refurbishment but, at a reasonable price it is quite acceptable. Didn't use the leisure facilities but they looked quite good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the car park seem a bit quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Lincoln
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Thank goodness I was only there for a night!!! It began with a poker faced man on reception. Name, sign here, key and your rooms down that way.
When I entered the room it was antiquated furniture, the facility to make my self only two drinks. Didn't have a bath or shower as I didn't want to stand in the bath. Definately one to avoid at all costs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My room was clean and comfortable, but there was not enough room in the lounge for all the customers, The tables were wicker and the drinks would not stand safely on them. We had a leaflet informing us of the Celebration buffet on new years eve, this was printed more in hope than expectation. We were served with starter then haggis, all very good . The main meal was the buffet, and we were among the last tables to be served, by now it was 9;30 and we had been sitting for two hours They had run out of peas,I got the last decent portion of beef, I had to share it with my partner as his was miniscule, the roast potatoes were inedible. there were no Yorkshire puddings, I don't know if there ever were any. Serving the next table they ran out of gravy, all in all a very poor show. The spa closed on new years day, so no comment there.
The staff were excellent and did their best in very difficult circumstances.

Room Tip: My room was ground floor. No complaints.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Bredbury Hall Hotel
Trivelles Mayfair
#11 of 15 in Stockport
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Innkeeper's Lodge Stockport, Heaton Chapel

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!