“One Night Stay”

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“One Night Stay”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for the night of 15th March as part of an organised coach tour that was taking-in a show at the Manchester Arena. Check-in was quick and efficient, and our room was acceptable for a one-night stay. The heating made the room comfy, and controls were easy to use and responsive. There were tea-making facilities, but the TV in the bedroom was small and could not get BBC or ITV. The bathroom was basic but acceptable, with all the hot water you could want. One dining-room was set aside for our coach party, and although queuing for the buffet evening meal was a bit on the uncivilised side the actual food itself was plentiful and of a good standard. Serving was easier next morning for breakfast, and once again the quality and quantity of food was of a very high standard. We were a bit concerned when woken at 3.00am by the fire alarm only to find that no action was taken, no evacuation of the room was required, and no information was given out at any stage. Fortunately we had a ground floor bedroom so we felt reasonably confident that we could have made our escape if necessary.

Overall we found the hotel comfortable even if the decor was a bit dated. The food, on the other hand, was a distinct success especially as it was catering for a coach party.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stay here in 2010 and it was ok so we said we stay again this year we got told on our last visit in 2010 they having a cocktail bar put in so in 2014 march I ask for a cocktail
They said it not a cocktail bar it just a bar so I said do u have any cocktail he said no but I can google how to make them it not good service at the bar and on check in the guy behind the desk look at my boyfriend funny because he was paying by card and on check out they did not even ask how we sleep or have u enjoyed ur stay I find that this hotel need help or shut down

• Stayed March 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Whilst the checkin was friendly and straight forward, the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. the rooms are very dated, the bathroom especially being in dire need of a refurb. The bed was possibly the most uncomfortable i have ever slept in, the base of the bed was in two parts which had a tendency to move apart whenever you turned over. The hotel also has the noisiest floorboards i have ever known, if somebody on the same floor moved the squeaking could be heard along the entire floor, guests leaving at 6.30am were an excellent alarm call as they moved along the noisy corridors. The breakfast was borderline inedible, Everything tasting heavily of salt and items such as the black pudding so overcooked to render it so dry that it shattered when you attempted to cut it, the eggs were of a similar consistency to chewing gum and i wont mention the porridge as i don't care to revisit that culinary disaster! As for the staff, the chap on check-in was friendly enough and the girl behind the bar on Thursday evening was helpful, friendly and very approachable. The staff in the breakfast room spoke very little English and did not even respond when guests greeted them with Good Morning and could best be described as surly. Checkout was pretty bad, I waited at reception for 15 minutes before a member of staff showed up, i said that i wanted to check out, my key was taken from me and i was just told 'thats fine' as the staff member took my key and walked away. I won't be back and I think its very unlikely i will ever use the britannia hotel chain again.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank sparkybunny
cleveland
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just stayed in this hotel on a National Holidays trip with myself and 4 others. We were allocated 3 rooms but when we opened the door to the first room we were greeted by the strong smell of stale smoke. We decided not to even go in never mind sleep in it. Fortunately the other 2 rooms were triple so there was room for us all to bed down. On entering the next room we found this also smelt of stale smoke and the room was dirty and shabby, plus bedding was ripped.
As for the food it was VERY basic and unappetising, there was no tables for us to sit together so had to move tables around ourselves. It felt more like a works canteen rather than a restaurant. The public toilets were also disgusting I actually had to walk out as I was borking at the smell. We did complain but just got told to complain to National Holidays which we will but I also think its down the hotel to keep standards up. I know this is a budget hotel and gets busy but its not on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbunn
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Last time we stayed, a couple of years ago, this was a hotel with its issues, but the management were trying hard to put them right. Not any more. The staff were sultry and unsmiling, the room was clean, but only just. The breakfast was poor, with cheap food, cooked without any care. Watery, over salted bacon, boiled mushrooms, greasy eggs, soggy toast. At least they didn't manage to spoil tinned tomatoes.The bed was so uncomfortable that we cut short our stay rather than spend one more night in it. Won't be going back.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and sleep somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank sandyraeburn
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed for one night on a Travelstyle week-end tour. These are budget holidays so one should not expect 5-star hotel chains. We were checked in very promptly and the room and bathroom were very clean and both were of a good size. Dinner was buffet-style with choice of starters and main courses and a good selection of vegetables. The staff were kept busy re-filling the trays which were empty and as there must have been over 100 of us, there was not too long a wait. Breakfast was at staggered times but there were some delays also at these times. The Eastern European girl serving the soup did not know if there was any alternative starter (there was) or even the name of the soup she was serving! I understand that it is a bit of a headache getting hotel staff these days so I would not be too critical. Would I stay here again - yes, most certainly.

Stockport, England
Reviewed 9 March 2014

First of all let me say that I think some of the ridiculously scathing reviews on here need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I know it's all about opinions but some people's expectations seem to be somewhat beyond the their outlay when staying at this hotel. Sure, it's not the Hilton but the Hilton doesn't cost £42 for a double room with breakfast.
We arrived around 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and were greeted on reception by a pleasant young man who dealt with our check-in in a professional and courteous manner. The whole foyer and bar/restaurant area looked clean and tidy albeit totally deserted. The reason for this is that the bar does not open until 5pm and annoyingly it closes again at 11pm. More on that later.
We were directed to our rooms, there were 4 of us (2 couples) and we had been allocated rooms 165 and 166 on the first floor. It was quite a circuitous route to the stairs and we by-passed the lift which looked a bit like a service lift rather than a guest lift. As it happened it didn't appear to be in working order. Never mind, we were only one flight of stairs away from our floor so the stairs were OK with our small amount of luggage.
On arrival at the rooms it was immediately obvious that ours wasn't ready. There was a pile of fresh towels and toiletries outside waiting for the room to be serviced. The previous occupants had left a 'Do not Disturb' sign on the door and the staff had taken this literally and it had been overlooked. When we brought this to the attention of the housekeeping team they remedied the situation immediately and were very apologetic. The room was quickly serviced and when we entered we were quite impressed with the cleanliness of everything despite reading a lot of reviews to the contrary. There appeared to have been a recent redecoration of the room and the white and neutral colours used looked good. The furniture is fairly old but it all matched and it is more than adequate with ample storage for a short stay. The bed was firm but clean and comfortable with crisp white sheets and decent pillows provided. The one thing that irked me slightly was that there wasn't a bedside cabinet of any kind on one side of the bed which leaves you somewhat frustrated if you fancy a brew and you're on the cabinet-less side of the bed. There is simply nowhere to put your cup while you relax and watch a bit of TV. Also, even though the brewing supplies were plentiful, there were no biscuits provided. The quality of the tea and the coffee is as good as you'd expect in a moderately priced hotel so no real complaints there.
If you do run out of supplies replacements are available for you to help yourself on the desk in reception.
The bathroom was quite dated but included a full size pedestal that was not enclosed in some narrow alcove which usually causes me endless problems being a big guy. There is a bath which I would guess was probably 3/4 size but again is more than adequate for a short stay. There are ample supplies of toiletries and, although not particularly good quality, there is ample toilet roll supplied also. In general the bathroom was a bit tired but certainly clean enough and well enough equipped for your needs.
The view from the room was not fantastic but it is in Offerton so it's probably as good as it could be. The window is restricted in the amount that it can be opened and I guess this is as much for security as anything else. It does allow sufficient fresh air if required.
As reported in other reviews there is an amount of noise from other rooms and old piping but none of it was loud enough to prevent me from enjoying a decent nights sleep.
The reason for our stay was that we were attending a function at a nearby pub called the Fingerpost which has had a recent refurbishment and looks great. We came down around 7pm and the whole place was packed with people. The bar was in full swing and populated by a mixture of people from locals, coach party guests and users of the attached Spindles Leisure facility. Everyone seemed to be having a good time but our drinking was to be done elsewhere on this occasion. The hotel is very popular with coach parties and, I think, there were 3 coaches parked up as we left for the evening. It was with this in mind that we decided to attempt an early breakfast in the morning.
Breakfast is served from 7 - 9:30am and I really didn't know what to expect after reading several awful reviews. We assembled at 8:30 and made our way to the restaurant. After giving our room numbers to the girl at the restaurant entrance we were left pretty much to our own devices as everything is self service buffet style. All the usual breakfast fayre was available including porridge and, my personal sign of quality for a buffet breakfast, black pudding. There was plenty of available seating despite how busy it was and we dived straight into the cooked buffet. I had sausages, bacon, fried eggs, hash browns, beans and the aforementioned black pudding. Everything was hot and was being regularly replenished by the efficient staff. The good thing about the buffet was that it included ready made toast so there is no faffing about with poorly maintained toasters that wouldn't melt butter let alone burn bread.
So that was it really and, on the whole, all of our party were delighted with the value for money and the quality of the services and facilities. We had all had a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast for which we paid less than £85 for the four of us.
After our evening out locally we returned thinking that we could have a night cap before turning in. Not a hope as I previously mentioned, the bar closes at 11pm with no exceptions even for residents which I think is a poor do. I'd heard a whisper that they had lost their late licence for some reason but I can't elaborate on that so I won't speculate.
Hopefully this review has put some peoples minds at rest who may be booked to stay here and are worrying about it. Please don't take any notice of the really bad reviews as these appear to be either from some people with their own personal agendas, people whose expectations vastly outweigh what is realistic for the price or those few who may genuinely may have had a bad experience for whatever reason. I anticipate that the latter category are few and far between.

Room Tip: Don't really know what to say here, 165 and 166 were both OK. Don't expect the views to be v...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Alma Lodge Hotel
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Bredbury Hall Hotel
Bredbury Hall Hotel
#8 of 15 in Stockport

Been to Britannia Hotel Stockport? Share your experiences!