Britannia Hotel Stockport
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Wycliffe Hotel(Stockport)
1,510 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here with a coach party and what a dump. Only redeeming feature was the food was good and plentiful and it was very warm, not to good in the hot Summer months though. The linen was clean and also the bathroom was passable or else I may have had to keep my legs crossed all weekend. It' smells really damp with stains on all the carpets in the corridors and bedrooms.
Staff when seen were not the most friendly, although I did manage to get my room changed after the friends I was with said that being on my own they did not want me miles away from them, so after a little wait they did swap my room near to those in the rest off the party.
Stay away from here if you like a little better class of hotel, this one is last resort.

Room Tip: Sorry can't recommend anything
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The website says it is handy for Stockport town centre, well it is 2 and a half miles walk. the leisure club is extra not included .
I had booked an executive room, sower either boiling or cold, filthy top of rhe lavatory, ripped upholstery and stained tops. Under a bed a nice surprise of a nappy bag left by a previous occupant. for some reason one of the chambermaids was wearing a facemask.
Breakfast was a buffet where even the toast was kept under the hot lamps. no instructions on how to liberate tea from the flasks etc bacon empty whilst staff sat down to have their breakfast all seemingly at the same time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CirenByron
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights. The first night we had the rugby tour there and the place was very busy. This showed the faults. The rooms are very small, need redecorating and have no soundproofing. You can here everything, yes everything, from the rooms around you. The second night was better, fewer people there. The bed was comfortable and the water hot. Food was of the frozen ready meals standard, edible and cheap. The bar prices reasonable. Our company enjoyed ourselves and wish to thank the cheerful and helpful staff who tried valiantly. They deserve better.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank loiriston
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights and although not palatial the prices reflect this. The staff were friendly and helpful. OK the rooms could do with decorating but were fit for purpose. The food was fine not 4 star quality but perfectly edible. We didn't spend much time in the room but our TV worked fine.Perfect for a stopover of a few nights.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saratcambs
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We spent one night here as part of our trip to the Coronation Street tour. Although the room was quite small it was basically adequate for one night. I have to admit I would not want to stay longer than that as the facilities are not great. The very small wardrobe is filled with spare pillows and blankets and is blocked by a heavy chair in front of it. The TV is very old and does not have many channels to choose from but the bathroom was very clean and has both bath and shower. A shelf to put your sponge bag on would have been nice though. There was nowhere to put anything.
We were on the second floor and the ancient lift did not always work as people left the gate open when leaving it.
There were a few stains on the carpet but the bed was comfy and the room was warm.
We found it very quiet and certainly did not encounter any drunks. The food was adequate and edible even if there was not a great deal of choice. Service was fine. I asked if they had any soya milk and it was brought instantly.
We certainly had more than 3 tv channels and did not experience any flickering lights as experienced by the reviewer of "The worst Hotel in England". We found the staff helpful and friendly
I think the above reviewer was probably very unlucky.
I would like to say to the management though "Get the carpets cleaned or replaced. Ours looked as if someone had dripped blood on it at some time".

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor at the back. Much quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple