“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. The staff at check in were very pleasant and very helpful in advising us the best way to get into Manchester. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The hotel is situated right under a flight path, presumably for Manchester Airport, so there was some noise from planes coming into land overhead but it wasn't loud enough to disturb our sleep. Breakfast was good with fruit juice, cereal and a cooked breakfast available. Would stay here again and would have liked to have tried the Italian restaurant on site.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I spent two nights here in June. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself was immaculate and well kept. The food was fresh, tasty and well presented. Overall, very good value for money.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a flight path so there was a little aircraft noise. Once windows were closed noise w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The problem when you read peoples reviews is you don’t know what they are expecting from a hotel, after all some people expect spas, concierge and a turn down service where as other people are happy just with a bed! So I’m going to help you here by saying what we are used to so you can make up your mind better. I will try and make this the most concise detailed review possible.

We are used to mainly staying in Premier Inn hotels, Jurys Inn and Novotel hotels around the UK so are used to those standards. This review is for the standard double room.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is used to using such hotels. All of the staff at this hotel are so nice and friendly, they really make you feel welcome.
If you are an Eco-friendly person then you will like this hotel as they do their bit to keep the hotel green as possible. For instance your key has a power activator on it that has to be inserted into the wall switch before you get any power in the room. This is a good idea as it means you can’t leave things on wasting power when you go out.

Your room key is a traditional high security key rather than a magnetic strip card like you use in Premier Inn hotels. You leave the key at reception when you go out of the hotel and ask for it back when you return.

Location
The hotel is located to the West of Stockport and very easy to find as it’s a large distinctive white building on Edgeley Road, The actual car entrance to their car park is on St. Lesmo Road. Just as you enter St. Lesmo Road from Edgeley Road you will see the car park entrance on the right.

If you are arriving at the hotel on foot from the east then there is a pedestrian gate entrance near the outdoor garden terrace area rather than having to walk all the way down to St. Lesmo Road.

Parking
There is a large free car park at this hotel, we had no problem finding a space.

Wi-Fi
At most hotels you have to pay for wifi or get limited usage. At the Wycliffe Hotel, wi-fi is free and unlimited and best of all you do not have to enter login details on redirected landing pages. You simply use it when you want!
When connecting to a hotspot select the one with the strongest signal (most bars) rather than allowing your device to auto-connect, that way you can be sure that its going to be reliable.
The speed was fast enough to run iPlayer without any hiccups.

The room was well equipped. There was a large 24” TV with all the Freeview channels. Also the TV was not locked into hotel mode so you could easily connect your devices to it via HDMI, Composite etc if you needed to.

The room was modern, clean and had plenty of draws and cupboards. There was a folding Hotel luggage rack for putting your suitcase on.

You get two cups with saucers and a tea pot ! A nice touch having a tea pot as you can actually make a proper pot of tea, Kettle, two glasses.
4 Teabags, 4 coffees, Hot chocolate, 6 milks, 2 biscuits and 2 cookies and a bottle of water.

There is a hairdryer, Corby trouser press, an Iron and even a mini ironing board!

There were plenty of spare mains sockets around the room for charging your phones etc. Even two near the bedside cabinet which is something you don’t get at Premier Inn hotels.

The room does not have air conditioning but all you have to do is ask at reception for a fan and they will bring you one.

Bathroom
The bathroom was modern and bright, no bath just a shower cubical. It was not a power shower but was perfectly suitable.
They supplied soap, mini bottle of shower gel and shampoo, even a Shower cap.
There was plenty of shelf space to put things down on.

Bed
The bed was firm and clean, It was a standard double bed. Complete with duvet and pillows, there were two additional pillows in the cupboard.

Local Transport
The Wycliffe has a Bus stop literally just outside where you can catch a No11 or 11A to Stockport Bus Station from there you can pretty much get to anywhere.
Stockport also has its own railway station nearby.
If you are intending to use public transport a lot then it’s worth getting a Dayrider ticket. A Dayrider ticket costs £4 and allows unlimited travel all day on Stagecoach services so for instance you could get the 192 from Stockport to Manchester city centre and back.

There is a very large Morrisons supermarket about 12 minutes walk from the hotel down Edgeley Road which is handy if you need anything. They also have a restaurant where you can get reasonable priced meals if you need them.

Breakfast
Another good thing about the Wycliffe is you get breakfast included in the price.
If you have a cooked breakfast then you get one sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms, Beans, Fried egg or scrambled egg, Toast, Tomato. The toast you make yourself using either white or brown bread.
There is nothing stopping you having a cooked breakfast as well as a bowl of cereals and toast and jam and fresh fruit and a yogurt. When you go into the dining area they ask you where you want to sit and then ask if you want tea or coffee and take your order. Full English takes about 10-15 minutes to arrive, this is because its being freshly cooked for you so don’t expect it to arrive instantly. There is also fresh juice available.

If you are hyper sensitive to noise then be aware that this hotel in under the flight path for Manchester airport, the room has double glazing and you get used to the sound after a bit so not a problem. You are going to get noise from planes where ever you stop in Stockport, locals don’t bat an eyelid when a plane goes over.

We did not use the restaurant for dinner or the bar so can not comment on those.

I hope you found this review of help.

thanks
Andy

18 Thank DerbyLad1969
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review the Wycliffe Hotel. It is the most concise review I have seen and I feel it is spot on. As a small hotel we must provide an efficient, friendly and service focused standard to compete with the large chain providers. As such we see improvement as a constant aim that needs to be met. We will continue to try and improve and as such we look forward to welcoming you back to the Wycliffe Hotel.
Kind Regards
Mark Tavini
Manager
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My partner booked this hotel as he was taking me out in the area for a surprise. On arriving, we immediately felt untrusted as we were asked to pay on check in rather than check out. Once in the room, I decided to shower before going out and as I went to use the towel, there was a bug on it and I am very bug phobic! On going for breakfast the next morning, we waited a good 5 mins before we were seated and once seated we were waiting to be served, people actually entered after us and were served before us. After about 20 mins, I had to call a waitress over and ask her to serve us. There is absolutely nothing on the hot breakfast menu for vegetarians which my partner is and he ordered scrambled eggs (which were wet and a bit runny) and beans (which were just not nice), he didn't eat this and just had some cereal, I did however eat my breakfast and had no complaints once it arrived. I stay in many hotels up and down the country due to my job and this is one hotel I would not opt to stay in again.

wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for taking time to write this review, it really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
Guests making reservations on the internet are advised at the time of booking that payment will be taken on arrival – many hotels take payment on reservation and I am very sorry if you felt “untrusted”.
We feel that fresh air is important, therefore all our bedrooms have opening windows and are aired daily, when, unfortunately it is possible that a fly would be able to enter the room, but I assure you that our housekeepers operate to the highest standards. If this had been reported to reception on arrival – our receptionist would have been only too happy to change your room immediately.
I am saddened to hear that your partner did not enjoy his breakfast; we would have been only too pleased to offer vegetarian options if these had been requested. We use only free-range eggs and fresh cream to make our scrambled eggs and Heinz beans, again if we had been informed at the time that they were not to his liking, we would have replaced them immediately.
I am however, delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and noted that you commented as such on the morning.
I do hope you reconsider returning to the Wycliffe Hotel when we will be able offer you a warm welcome.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Over the past 25 years I have visited this restaurant on many occasions, with groups, as a couple and for several family events, it has always been a pleasurable experience with great food and good banter from the excellent staff. We have not been for 3 years now so for my birthday on Saturday my husband and I thought we could do no better than booking here. We were however very disappointed. The food was still of a reasonable standard, no problem with the starters or soup course, but the lamb shank was considerably over cooked and in parts was actually burnt, it was like eating bone! The accompaniments to the lamb were also only adequate. My greatest disappointment was the lack of the dessert trolley which was always such fun and mouth watering going through it with the waiters, the dessert menu did not even have Italian trifle as an option which was always a specialty we looked forward to. The thing I have the most gripe about and was the decider for not staying in the bar for after meal drinks was the decision by Mark, the owner, that my request for a liqueur coffee instead of a dessert be declined. I was told I could have the coffee instead of the dessert but would have to pay the difference for the liqueur ! Considering on the al la carte menu the dessert I eventually chose was more expensive than the coffee I found this very mean spirited, in the name of good will and customer satisfaction what was a tot of Tia Maria worth? In yesterday years this would never have been a problem. It is a shame the place has deteriorated, the decor is clean but now very dated, it needs modernising to attract a younger clientele and the fun aspect of the place has gone, although still excellent service from the waiters, who many of them have been there as long as I have been going, the atmosphere was very dour , a complete opposite to the friendly, laughter filled times we used to have. Sadly I will not be recommending this restaurant to anyone again which makes me sad.

Room Tip: Restaurant only
2 Thank Terryll K
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your initially kind words about the restaurant, food and service.

I am deeply dissappointed that your Lamb dish was over cooked. The slow roasted lamb is cooked for a long period of time at a low temperature. This alows for the fat to seep out and allows for a tender, fall off the bone dish. I suspect that the foil that covered the dish failed to protect it from the slow cooking effect. This dish is by far our most popular dish and as we have had no similar complaints then I assume that yours was an isolted problem.

As a business we have had to make some changes to allow us to survive this horrendous recession. We have had to stop wastage and as such a well stocked sweet trolley during a business down turn is not viable. We did continue with the trolley until July 2012 at whcih point we had to change. The fact that a regular client, such as yourself, had not been for 3 years is part of our conundrum.

On the night of your meal we had a visit from a couple who were celebrating their first wedding anniversary, they had held their celebration lunch at the Wycliffe last year. I sent over two glasses of Prosecco on the house. They had a lovely meal and expressed their thanks. The table of four who were sat to your left on the evening, were full of praise about their meal.

It shows that even on a quiet night we can supply a quality food, service and that I am not mean. Indeed, if you had mentioned on the night that your meal was not up to standard it would have been replaced immediately without fuss, probably with a glass of something as an apology too.

The failure of me to replace a dessert with a Tia Maria coffee is a decission I made on the night, which I now regret, poor reviews hurt a small business more than many people realise, that is why we take the review system very seriously. The sweets are made and have a small time span in whcih to be used or they will be thrown away. Tia Maria will last for many months or even years, there is no pressure to sell the poduct, I do need to sell my desserts.

On the night you chose to dine from our Market Menu, four courses including sweet for a fixed price. You could have chosen to eat a la carte and had what ever you wanted!
Scotland
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I cannot a gree with many of the comments on this hotel. I have stayed a couple of times now and on both experiences have had issues with the rooms. first time got room 2. Big room, big shower, smelt terrible. It is positioned above the hotel's gents public toilet. The second time, room 14, there was no hot water for a shower and no water pressure. When I turned on the sink tap the shower stopped. Received apologies but no bill adjustment on either ocassion.
On the up side the food is good and the residents menu is really good value at £17.50 for three courses. The free olives and peanuts at the bar are a nice touch and the staff are attentive.
Overall it's disappointing and the decor throughout the hotels main public areas is ver 70s.

Room Tip: Avoid room 2 above the gents toilets
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Johnny2002
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Sir,

It is with great regret that you have had issues with the hotel on both of your stays with us.

I have monitored room 2 since your last stay and we cannot find an odour problem.

We, however, have found an issue with the water pressure in room 14. An air releasing valve had failed which caused an airlock to build up in the hot pipes your room. A mechanical failure can happen at any point and thanks to your comments the issue is now resolved.

I would like to thank you for your kind words about the restaurant and for staying with us. I sincerely hope that now the issues are reselved we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

If you wish I would be happy to discuss these issues further, please contact me at the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

only ate in the restaurant for a family celebration but must say that the staff are friendly helpful and good fun . The food is very good and vegetables nicely cooked only fault I had was that my slow roasted pork did not have any crackling would recommend for family event

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words about your experience at the Wycliffe Hotel. The whole team appreciates knowing that their efforts are helping guests to enjoy their experience here. We look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Wycliffe Hotel and Restaurant.
Kind Regards
Mark Tavini
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Alma Lodge Hotel
Didsbury House
Didsbury House
#3 of 118 in Manchester
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle

Been to Wycliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!