“Enjoyable evening at the Wycliffe”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wycliffe Hotel

Wycliffe Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Stockport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable evening at the Wycliffe”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We enjoyed a meal here on 4th Sept for our 9th wedding anniversary. I have lived in Edgeley all my life and have enjoyed countless lovely family meals and special occasions at the Wycliffe but am ashamed to say the last time we ate here was on our 1st anniversary!

The meal was excellent and very good value for money. My husband and I ordered from the set menu which is £40 for three courses each plus a bottle of house wine. I had the chicken liver parfait and my husband had the calamari we shared each of these and were both very nice. We both had the lamb shank which was gorgeous, with lovely potatoes. I had the crème brulee to finish which was lovely and the shortbread biscuits melted in the mouth. My husband also enjoyed his lemon tart although I finished it for him. He was a bit full.

The service here is second to none you definitely feel well looked after. I have to say that Mark and Gareth are very professional yet friendly and helpful. The young girl who also waited on us did remove my husbands meal before he had finished which is not great service, however my husband did comment he probably would not have finished it anyway. Beside the point though really. This is the only slight criticism I have.

Overall a very enjoyable meal and it will definitely not be another 8 years before we eat here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I booked a 2 night stay whilst attending a local wedding. Very handy location for Manchester and surrounds, this hotel benefits from a group of friendly and professional staff who made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived.

The room was clean and well equipped. Its true that the hotel is under the flight path for Manchester airport, but it didn't bother us even though we had the window open at all times.

The jewel in this little hotel is the restaurant. Having read good reports about it, we invited friends over who were staying at a different hotel. What a good decision that was!! We all enjoyed our meals that were well presented, tasty and very reasonably priced.

Breakfasts were excellent too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hertsbob
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Without doubt the favourite eatery of both myself and my wife (having eaten there 30+ times) - It really is an undiscovered secret which has to be visited to be enjoyed. For so many years we have driven past the Wycliffe Hotel not realising .......(a) that it was even there (as it is secluded behind a hedgerow ).. and (b), and more importantly, what we were missing!

As regular diners who enjoy our food it is always a delight to enjoy a meal at the Wycliffe - Sadly there are very few restaurants remaining today where can you enjoy the traditional values of a well managed restaurant, enjoy beautifully cooked fine food which is served by a long established team who are all extremely professional whilst still being very friendly.

If you want a quality eating experience in a traditional, family owned restaurant with a pleasant relaxed environment .... do give it a try - Wish we had found it years ago! ... Mike and Katrina

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. The staff at check in were very pleasant and very helpful in advising us the best way to get into Manchester. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The hotel is situated right under a flight path, presumably for Manchester Airport, so there was some noise from planes coming into land overhead but it wasn't loud enough to disturb our sleep. Breakfast was good with fruit juice, cereal and a cooked breakfast available. Would stay here again and would have liked to have tried the Italian restaurant on site.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I spent two nights here in June. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself was immaculate and well kept. The food was fresh, tasty and well presented. Overall, very good value for money.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a flight path so there was a little aircraft noise. Once windows were closed noise w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The problem when you read peoples reviews is you don’t know what they are expecting from a hotel, after all some people expect spas, concierge and a turn down service where as other people are happy just with a bed! So I’m going to help you here by saying what we are used to so you can make up your mind better. I will try and make this the most concise detailed review possible.

We are used to mainly staying in Premier Inn hotels, Jurys Inn and Novotel hotels around the UK so are used to those standards. This review is for the standard double room.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is used to using such hotels. All of the staff at this hotel are so nice and friendly, they really make you feel welcome.
If you are an Eco-friendly person then you will like this hotel as they do their bit to keep the hotel green as possible. For instance your key has a power activator on it that has to be inserted into the wall switch before you get any power in the room. This is a good idea as it means you can’t leave things on wasting power when you go out.

Your room key is a traditional high security key rather than a magnetic strip card like you use in Premier Inn hotels. You leave the key at reception when you go out of the hotel and ask for it back when you return.

Location
The hotel is located to the West of Stockport and very easy to find as it’s a large distinctive white building on Edgeley Road, The actual car entrance to their car park is on St. Lesmo Road. Just as you enter St. Lesmo Road from Edgeley Road you will see the car park entrance on the right.

If you are arriving at the hotel on foot from the east then there is a pedestrian gate entrance near the outdoor garden terrace area rather than having to walk all the way down to St. Lesmo Road.

Parking
There is a large free car park at this hotel, we had no problem finding a space.

Wi-Fi
At most hotels you have to pay for wifi or get limited usage. At the Wycliffe Hotel, wi-fi is free and unlimited and best of all you do not have to enter login details on redirected landing pages. You simply use it when you want!
When connecting to a hotspot select the one with the strongest signal (most bars) rather than allowing your device to auto-connect, that way you can be sure that its going to be reliable.
The speed was fast enough to run iPlayer without any hiccups.

The room was well equipped. There was a large 24” TV with all the Freeview channels. Also the TV was not locked into hotel mode so you could easily connect your devices to it via HDMI, Composite etc if you needed to.

The room was modern, clean and had plenty of draws and cupboards. There was a folding Hotel luggage rack for putting your suitcase on.

You get two cups with saucers and a tea pot ! A nice touch having a tea pot as you can actually make a proper pot of tea, Kettle, two glasses.
4 Teabags, 4 coffees, Hot chocolate, 6 milks, 2 biscuits and 2 cookies and a bottle of water.

There is a hairdryer, Corby trouser press, an Iron and even a mini ironing board!

There were plenty of spare mains sockets around the room for charging your phones etc. Even two near the bedside cabinet which is something you don’t get at Premier Inn hotels.

The room does not have air conditioning but all you have to do is ask at reception for a fan and they will bring you one.

Bathroom
The bathroom was modern and bright, no bath just a shower cubical. It was not a power shower but was perfectly suitable.
They supplied soap, mini bottle of shower gel and shampoo, even a Shower cap.
There was plenty of shelf space to put things down on.

Bed
The bed was firm and clean, It was a standard double bed. Complete with duvet and pillows, there were two additional pillows in the cupboard.

Local Transport
The Wycliffe has a Bus stop literally just outside where you can catch a No11 or 11A to Stockport Bus Station from there you can pretty much get to anywhere.
Stockport also has its own railway station nearby.
If you are intending to use public transport a lot then it’s worth getting a Dayrider ticket. A Dayrider ticket costs £4 and allows unlimited travel all day on Stagecoach services so for instance you could get the 192 from Stockport to Manchester city centre and back.

There is a very large Morrisons supermarket about 12 minutes walk from the hotel down Edgeley Road which is handy if you need anything. They also have a restaurant where you can get reasonable priced meals if you need them.

Breakfast
Another good thing about the Wycliffe is you get breakfast included in the price.
If you have a cooked breakfast then you get one sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms, Beans, Fried egg or scrambled egg, Toast, Tomato. The toast you make yourself using either white or brown bread.
There is nothing stopping you having a cooked breakfast as well as a bowl of cereals and toast and jam and fresh fruit and a yogurt. When you go into the dining area they ask you where you want to sit and then ask if you want tea or coffee and take your order. Full English takes about 10-15 minutes to arrive, this is because its being freshly cooked for you so don’t expect it to arrive instantly. There is also fresh juice available.

If you are hyper sensitive to noise then be aware that this hotel in under the flight path for Manchester airport, the room has double glazing and you get used to the sound after a bit so not a problem. You are going to get noise from planes where ever you stop in Stockport, locals don’t bat an eyelid when a plane goes over.

We did not use the restaurant for dinner or the bar so can not comment on those.

I hope you found this review of help.

thanks
Andy

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
18 Thank DerbyLad1969
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review the Wycliffe Hotel. It is the most concise review I have seen and I feel it is spot on. As a small hotel we must provide an efficient, friendly and service focused standard to compete with the large chain providers. As such we see improvement as a constant aim that needs to be met. We will continue to try and improve and as such we look forward to welcoming you back to the Wycliffe Hotel.
Kind Regards
Mark Tavini
Manager
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My partner booked this hotel as he was taking me out in the area for a surprise. On arriving, we immediately felt untrusted as we were asked to pay on check in rather than check out. Once in the room, I decided to shower before going out and as I went to use the towel, there was a bug on it and I am very bug phobic! On going for breakfast the next morning, we waited a good 5 mins before we were seated and once seated we were waiting to be served, people actually entered after us and were served before us. After about 20 mins, I had to call a waitress over and ask her to serve us. There is absolutely nothing on the hot breakfast menu for vegetarians which my partner is and he ordered scrambled eggs (which were wet and a bit runny) and beans (which were just not nice), he didn't eat this and just had some cereal, I did however eat my breakfast and had no complaints once it arrived. I stay in many hotels up and down the country due to my job and this is one hotel I would not opt to stay in again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for taking time to write this review, it really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
Guests making reservations on the internet are advised at the time of booking that payment will be taken on arrival – many hotels take payment on reservation and I am very sorry if you felt “untrusted”.
We feel that fresh air is important, therefore all our bedrooms have opening windows and are aired daily, when, unfortunately it is possible that a fly would be able to enter the room, but I assure you that our housekeepers operate to the highest standards. If this had been reported to reception on arrival – our receptionist would have been only too happy to change your room immediately.
I am saddened to hear that your partner did not enjoy his breakfast; we would have been only too pleased to offer vegetarian options if these had been requested. We use only free-range eggs and fresh cream to make our scrambled eggs and Heinz beans, again if we had been informed at the time that they were not to his liking, we would have replaced them immediately.
I am however, delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and noted that you commented as such on the morning.
I do hope you reconsider returning to the Wycliffe Hotel when we will be able offer you a warm welcome.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
Alma Lodge Hotel
#8 of 15 in Stockport
Holiday Inn Express Stockport
Premier Inn Stockport Central Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle

Been to Wycliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!