“Glad we went!”

Ranked #201 of 550 Restaurants in Stockport
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Homemade top of the range pub food from delicious toasted sandwich to terrific Mixed Grills
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Glad we went!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We're always on the lookout for a cozy pub with good food on our frequent visits to this part of Cheshire and since we'd heard about the refurb we thought it was worth try. The old inn has a lot going for it - plenty of character, real fires, real ale, friendly staff and excellent home cooked food at very reasonable prices.

I had a delicious steak burger, in a very nice bread bun complete with beef tomato, almost caramelised onion and tasty tomato relish, with sweet potato chips and onion rings. My husband went for the Cheshire cheese sandwich which was served with relish, coleslaw and crisps and my mother-in-law had (what was called) a small portion of really good cod, chips and peas. With a drink each, the bill was £35 - a bargain!

The only slight downside was the lack of veggie "mains" on the menu, but the quality of ingredients in what we had still calls for 5 stars.

So glad we tried a new place for lunch. We look forward to our next visit!

2 Thank Claribelle

Bramhall, United Kingdom
“The Thieve's!!! I like it”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Now I have to be honest, I live right over the road from the Thieves. I like it and after the recent refurb it will have a lot more visitors. I find the comments about bar staff a little odd. Sure some of the regulars in any pub like their little corners. But the staff in the Thieve's are very good. Courteous professional and welcoming.
The new refit is lovely, very in keeping with the pub and area. Its a revalation in there and well worth a visit.
Just try saying hello is my advice. People are generally very nice.

2 Thank Simon L
Stock, United Kingdom
“Perfect traditional pub”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Went in after the refurb ... It is wonderful . Homely , welcoming , excellent food
Just how a pub should be ... Will defiantly be going again
Small menu in the eve ... Just perfect

2 Thank EmmaP16
macclesfield
“Excellent traditional local pub”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The "Thieves Neck" has always been an enjoyable pub to visit. Serving excellent local ales good food with the emphasis on home cooked (no prepacked/prepared food here). A bit tired and worn around the edges but welcoming and very accommodating. It shut for the month of February for refurbishment and it was with some trepidation we visited two days after it reopened. What a change. The pub has been very sympathetically updated but it still retains it's unique atmosphere. The layout is far more user friendly but cosy and welcoming. There are now posh menus at every table but the food remains "home cooked" of excellent quality and such good value. We have always found the staff friendly and welcoming -Yvonne the landlady goes out of her way to ensure her customers needs are met. My only worry is that to many people will discover this pub and realise that it is one of the few remaining true traditional pubs we so fondly remember before the large catering companies took over our breweries!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank alipet8
Liverpool
“Nothing Changes”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We last visited the area over 30yrs ago and were out waking in the area.

We were warned by other local people that it was not a friendly place but go and have a look and form your own opinion.

Well 30yrs ago we got a real bad reception, unfriendly welcome, being starred at, uncomfortable feeling so we left. I was told it's also known as "The Thieves Neck" but do not know why.

Anyway 30yrs on we were out on a walking again so thought we would give it a go to see how it was now.

The place was empty and the bar person was sat reading a paper. When I ordered you would have thought I had sworn at them, it was like "How dare you make me get up".

They never smiled or spoke, I thought someone had died.

Never again, I'm surprised it's last so long and found it very expensive.

My advice...don't bother, go in to Bramhall or the local garden nursery for food/drinks.

• Visited November 2013