“Brilliant food”

Ranked #152 of 591 Restaurants in Stockport
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Homemade top of the range pub food from delicious toasted sandwich to terrific Mixed Grills
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I went for lunch with a friend. We've been many times before. Since our last visit the pub has been done up. It's very smart and clean. There is a great deal of choice for food. We both had a delicious cheese and onion pie. I had mine with chunky chips and bake beans. My friend had hers with chunky chips and vegetables. I've not seen such an array of vegetables. There was ratatouille, cauliflower cheese, carrots. We sat outside on a beautiful sunny day. The wine was reasonably priced. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I cannot wait to go again.

2  Thank caroline3262

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We called into this old pub for lunch on a whim, and weren't sure what to expect. It's very old , with a great history - also known as' the thief's neck' due to the fact they used to hang poachers there !
As to be expected of a pub of that age , it's a bit dark, 3 connecting rooms and tables are a bit close together.
We ordered a ploughman's and a seafood platter, both of which were beautifully presented, very tasty and generous portions. I had a glass of Merlot, their cheapest glass of red wine, which was lovely. There was a good atmosphere and the staff were all very polite and helpful. We sat inside but there are plenty of outdoor tables both in front and behind the pub, and also a big car park.
Must go again soon- the tapas style menu looked really interesting.

2  Thank jabManchester
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The pub has had a new sympathetic refurbishment and it's really impressive. Many original features have been kept but it's been totally modernised. It's just gone to another level and it's a true gem in this day of pubs in a poor state serving poor food, The Davenport Arms has a new menu and the food is tasty and very well priced, service and the staff were outstanding. The bar staff are very knowledgable on the array of bitters , ales and beers and were attentive friendly and exceptionally well mannered, I went on a Wednesday night. Whilst the pub is out of Bramhall village thee is a bus right outside on the hour takes you to Cheadle Hulme and Bramhall , giving you no reason to try the fabulous wines and beers on offer, no cheap nasty house wine at this fine Cheshire Pub. It's a fabulous family run pub Yvonne the landlady is very warm and friendly , and if your really lucky her lovely Mum serves you a pint of perfect bitter and Ali presents the most tasty grazing boards ... Looking forward to visiting again in the summer with the fantastic new seating areas, all in all can't fault this pub, and as you can see from my other reviews I am an absolute fan of a good English country Pub...

2  Thank Susiesukes
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had been in once before and the place looks fab since the recent refurb. It was already a great place before but now, even better. It's warm, welcoming family feel is one you don't get much anymore within pubs but here you definitely do. The staff are welcoming and friendly, they are diverse due to the range of different ages working there. A member of staff told me the place had been in the family for some years and that his Grandma, Mum, Auntie and Son were all working that day. It gave a real homely, warm feeling.

The coal fire was on and we sat and eat some really lovely food. Served with a smile, presented lovely and tasted great. Big portions, good value for money. We sat inside due to the rain but I can only imagine how lovely the place is during the summer months, the outdoor area is big, and provides a big seating area and the surrounding views are lovely. Lots of greenery, making you feel you're somewhere far away in the countryside. It's easy to forget you're only 5 minutes from Bramhall and other busy villages. It's quaint and quiet.

I visited with my mum but I will be back with friends and other family.
Good food and drink, good service and a welcome feeling.

I would highly recommend!

3  Thank A445
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Forget the Unicorn, forget everywhere in Bramhall, forget every pub in Stockport infact. This is one of the best pubs I've ever visited in my life, and easily the best in the local area. After a massive refurbishment the place is looking tip-top.

Upon arriving at the car park you're greeted with an amazing looking barn with some old machinery behind it, which I found particularly interesting, past this you come to the entrance and a warm greeting into the 'Thieves Neck'.

I came round the corner and was immediately greeted by a friendly young member of staff who explained what ale was on tap that day, I ended up going with a pint of Dizzy Blonde, which was absolutely fantastic -- they sure know how to pull a pint in this pub, outstanding. I came back for another, and another, and another... Amazing.

I have nothing bad to say about this place. The decor, the staff, the locals, the beer, everything was brilliant. I saw some food going out, which is served on a piece of wood and has little pots containing each piece of the meal, it looked really nice but unfortunately I didn't get any, I'd assume this is great too.

So yes, next time you're considering going to Bramhall, just go a little further and visit The Davenport Arms in Woodford, you wont regret it.

3  Thank Jimmy M