“Great bouldering. Good staff, chatty and knowledgeable.”

Awesome Walls Climbing Centre Stockport
Ranked #2 of 25 Fun & Games in Stockport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I used to do a bit of climbing as a teenager but I've been off for a few years. Awesome walls is a great place to relearn some things.

The staff are chatty, experienced climbers, hot on the safety aspect of things and pretty friendly.

At £10 for unlimited time bouldering including shoe hire and chalk it's great value. I only went twice before buying my own gear anyway so it's only £6 a session now. Good loyalty schemes too.

The first week I went was a little overwhelming but the other climbers there are easy going and happy to chat so I was put at ease quickly. Pleanty of variety in routes and things get changed round regularly so it doesn't get boring.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Lets start off with the good...

This is by far the biggest indoor wall I've been to and there should be enough climbing here for everyone's needs from bouldering to top roping to lead, there are even times when dry tooling is available.

The staff are pretty hot on general safety and this is a big deal in climbing, just because it's an indoor wall doesn't mean you can't get severally injured or even die. Myself and my girlfriend were both asked to demonstrate how to 'tie in' and asked general safety questions before we were allowed to climb.

The V12 shop within the centre is good with a large selection of equipment at reasonable prices.

Now for the bad...

The staff were miserable and seemed to have 'the attitude'. Within the climbing scene there are various 'clicks' and that's very much how I felt in the centre, like I had to prove myself before I would be treated with respect. New climbers might want to come on a quiet week day before you face the wolves on a Wet Sunday when it's busy.

It gets hot, the bouldering room gets face meltingly hot! It was 20 degrees outside however it was 30+ in the bouldering room and the big industrial fans just move the hot air around unless you are sitting on top of them.

The vast majority of the holds in the bouldering room were dirty/greasy which made the lower grade climbs a lot harder. No amount of brushing these holds would get them to a reasonable condition and new climbers would probably struggle here and just slip off most routes. They did however get considerably better at V4 or above but that's probably due to the fact considerably fewer people climb at this level. There were a few dirty holds on the roped climbs however most were decent.

The grading in the centre was pretty sketchy, there were a couple of 5+ routes which were harder than some of the 6a routes. I know the grades are only a rough guide but the difference there is considerable. This would suggest the route setter(s) are either inexperienced at setting, setting at the limit of their ability or even worse setting outside of their limit.

And finally, this is a big deal for me, kids and climbing. How can someone belay a child and keep control of the other 4 children in their group? It happened to both myself and my girlfriend when we were belaying each other and a child was between the belayer and the wall. If the climber were to have a fall that child is in prime position of getting slammed into the wall pretty hard! Even worse parents who walking under climbers as they take pictures of their child.

Children climb and move up the wall while looking down at their feet, personally I'd want my child to be wearing a helmet at its not that hard to smack your head into a hold by moving up in this manor. Belaying someone down to the ground who is out cold is not going to end well!

5  Thank 14Over8000
Reviewed 24 June 2013

A great way to spend a rainy afternoon. Staff at the climbing wall are friendly and welcoming. The walls are truly awesome and have a great range of difficulties to ensure there are climbs accessible to everyone.

If you are looking for a climbing wall look no further! If you live nearby take up climbing and make awesome walls your second home!

1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have had many dreams in my 27 years, but not one has come true, until I joined Awesome walls and got climbing here.

Since then, I feel around 23% stronger, and about 43% a better man.

Now, to complete all my dreams, I just hope I bump into Dane Bowers in the bouldering room.

2  Thank TheRocksCooking
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Such a chilled out and happy place for climbers of all grades, interests and ages. If you're only up for a few metres the bouldering wall is great and the crash mats are the thickest I've ever seen... handy for when I go for the V6's and realise I'm still not good enough! The wall is reset more often and to better quality than any other wall I've visited. I love the tall wall too... not for the faint-hearted but to be able to get this high at an indoor location is pretty extraordinary. I would say the prices are reasonable for the services and a good range of walls to keep you busy for hours, whether it's curved, straight, rock-textured, leaning or those overhangs which I still keep falling off.

I started climbing at AW and every else hasn't felt the same. The staff are helpful and keen climbers. I just love the variety, the atmosphere, the systems, the grading and the height. As well as the milkshakes and panini's which are PERFECT for refuelling.... best of all you can sit and enjoy it watching other climbers above you. I go after work normally- the opening hours are very practical and unlike most other walls it doesn't tend to get crowded. The wall is quite chalky/dirty but at least it helps the grip. Would highly recommend.... climb on!!

By the way... I'm a 30-something very enthusiastic novice!!

3  Thank Alex S