“Wet greens - I'll say”

Stockport Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Cheshire's finest parkland golf course offering 18 individually challenging holes. From possibly the toughest opening Par 4 in Cheshire to our Signature hole, the Par 3 8th hole which has seen many Open Qualifying scorecards ruined.
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Was invited to play in a charity event a couple of years ago and being the first time I had played this "championship" course, I was really looking forward to it.
However, just before teeing off, it started to drizzle - not particularly hard but as Peter Kay would say, it was that wet rain!
The weather leading up to the day had been reasonably good and quite dry. I play quite a lot of golf in and around Stockport, particularly Hazel Grove, and the courses were all quite dry. So this drizzle was never going to any more than a nuisance.
How wrong - by the time we reached our sixth green, the groundstaff were out squeegying (if that's a word) the standing water off the greens just to keep the event going!
I have since found out that the groundstaff there are asked to water the greens excessively to make them soft so that the members can fire their iron shots into them with confidence (and not much spin), no matter how dry the weather.
How true that is I do not know, but I have since gone back there in glorious hot sunshine in the middle of a drought and guess what - the greens were extremely receptive.

4  Thank JollyJaunter

Reviewed 14 December 2010

Nice course but not as good as was portrayed. Some pleasant holes but some similar, grrens a bit too wet.

2  Thank tomo5