“A great weekend”
Review of Alma Lodge Hotel

Alma Lodge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Stockport
Reviewed 11 July 2007

We stayed in the Alma Lodge for 3 nights for our neice's wedding. We found all the staff were very professional, friendly and helpful at all times. Our room was clean, comfortable and well equipped. The actual wedding and reception were held in the hotel and everything ran smoothly, the food was excellent as were our other meals in the hotel, and I think everyone attending the wedding enjoyed themselves. We would certainly stay here again. Our only criticism is the lack of a lift, but we understand the problem of siting one in the building, but even this did not spoil our stay. Well done and thank you to all the staff

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Alma Lodge Hotel, we are very pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your weekend with us. All your party were very complimentary about the Hotel and its facilities, it's always rewarding to receive positive feed back from happy customers l will pass on your comments to all our departments.

Reviewed 25 June 2007

Another great night at this friendly hotel, ignore the other low reviews, go there you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

What a great review we are very pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Alma and we will pass on your lovely comments to our staff. Many thanks Jill and Karl Tavini

Reviewed 21 June 2007

For Father's Day I was treated to a most delicious meal and overnight accommodation for myself and my wife at the Alma Lodge Hotel. What a day I had! It began with a fabulous meal in the beautiful surroundings of Luigi's Restaurant. The service was friendly but professional and the food delicious - couldn't fault it. The double bedroom was large enough to accommodate a single bed as well, so there was plenty of room. The room itself was immaculately clean with lots of tea/coffee etc. Breakfast the next morning was freshly cooked and served by most welcoming staff. Overall we had a super stay and would not hesitate to return. I cannot think why it has received such poor reviews in the past.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Thank you for the superb score, being a family run business we strive hard to provide excellent customer service ensuring each & every customer feels welcome & cared for. We are very pleased you experienced this first hand.
We hope you will remember the Alma Lodge Hotel when visiting Stockport in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2007

Not knowing the area I was booked into this hotel for an overnight stay with work. Although the staff were great, the hotel was shabby and in desperate need of being dragged into the 21st century. Everything looked very tired, although the bed was very comfortable, good pillows, and the bathroom was clean. It was cleaner and cheaper than the holiday inn express at Warrington which I have to stay in regularly, so I can't complain. Shower scalded me at times, seemed to spend most of the time running round the bath to avoid getting burnt! Not a bad experience, but would probably prefer to stay elsewhere in future. Not expensive though, so not bad if you're on a budget. Room service was prompt and food was good for the faily ltd menu on offer.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ClaireH30
Tramsmit, Conference & Events Manager at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2007

We have tried to retain the style and elegance of what was originally a well appointed house, and combined that with the modern day demands of a hotel. Refurbishment of the bedrooms has commenced and it is planned for all 52 rooms to be brought up to the standard of our new Executive bedrooms. The boilers are also being replaced by a more ergonomic system.

Reviewed 5 June 2007

The hotel looks good from outside, but as soon as you venture in it all begins to look a little dated. My room was in need of re-decoration, shabby in places, the bathroom needed a proper clean (filthy around the taps), the fan didn't work etc.
The most amusing experience was ordering dinner from the room service menu. I needed an oxygen tent after reading the prices, but I was hungry and not feeling up to the restaurant (I had a cold). I rang to order, but was told I could only have 2 courses on room service. I asked why and was told it was because it was A la Carte... When I questioned what that had to do with anything, the woman told me it was actually because of the tray size. In fact, two people delivered the meal, so this seemed to be the most ridiculous rule I've come across in any hotel. The food was mediocre at best, a few sad little prawns, which had obviously been frozen and defrosted, swimming in a cream sauce around an over-cooked piece of salmon (£15). I was charged 15% for dining in my room - because a colleague was eating with me this amounted to over £8 and a total cost in excess of £65 - spectacularly overpriced.
On the plus side. Stockport isn't exactly brimming with quality hotels, the Alma Lodge is bearable for the odd night - the bed was very comfortable, I slept well and found the staff helpful and friendly, even if the hotel is past its prime.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank BigChrisR
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2015

Thank you for your feedback, I will personally investigate your comments on the bedroom. I am disappointed that certain aspects of your stay were below your expectations, but on a more positive note I am pleased to read your comments on the friendliness of our staff and the comfort of our bed.

Reviewed 4 June 2007

Stayed just one night, decent enough accomadation, kind of Travel Inn standard, good breakfast included and price was £80.00 for the double room. Stay in the new part (we were in 23) as noise at the weekends from evening events seemed a bit much.

Not within walking distance of anything, although there is a good bus connection into Manchester which runs about every 10 mins during the day.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank crushertim
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

We encourage all customers to give constructive feedback and over the last 14 years the restaurant has acquired a high percentage of positive feedback.
We do endeavour to listen to all guests’ feedback both positive and negative to help us constantly improve the level of service and standards that we are able to provide to our guests thank you for your contribution.

Reviewed 5 April 2007

Stayed here recently, hotel is fine, however the restaurant is way over priced and poor quality given the price. I can eat in a good London restaurant for the same price if not less, and it was far from comparable. Two of us spent £60 total on starter and main course, with no drinks.

It is one of those places that Gordan Ramsey needs to visit and turnaround!

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank Misc123

Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed that certain aspects of your stay displeased you, but on a more positive note I am pleased to read your comments on the friendliness of our staff and the service you received.