“Great little find”
Review of Keel Inn Motel

Keel Inn Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barnsley
Keel Inn Motel
Ranked #4 of 10 Barnsley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed at the Keel Inn at Barnsley for 5 nights & was given a small 'flat'. It was great to have a kitchenette & lounge area instead of just a room. Unbeatable value & very pleasant people. No breakfast is available on Monday mornings - I was forewarned & they kindly made me a roll. Location was very convenient for me - Asda is right opposite meant I could pick up supplies rather than having to eat out all the time & about a 10 minute walk (up a bit of a steep hill) into the town. Although attached to a pub it wasn't at all noisy during my stay - I didn't get to try the pub food because they stop serving very early - 7.00pm. My only critisism was it would have been good to have a bedside lamp (I moved one in from the lounge area) & a mirror in the bedroom rather than just the bathroom would have made hairdrying easier. I absolutely would use them again if I have to stay in Barnsley.

Room Tip: Ask for a flat if available
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JackieHewett
There are newer reviews for Keel Inn Motel

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Ate here at lunchtime today after a recommendation anyways so pleased we did. We had fish pie and cottage pie, both came with chips and peas and both a fiver each! We had plentiful portions and both dishes were freshly prepared and home made and came piping hot. The lady who runs front of house in the dining room was extremely friendly and welcoming especially considering we were obviously on our first visit when it was full of regulars. Will def be returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank debsido
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This pub is welcoming, cosy, a real fire going most nights, a lovely beer. Now the food is amazing! There is a board of about 15 things all £5! the waitress Nicola is lovely and she occasionally has an assistant that is young but very good, she must have been well trained. The food is lovely, some meals better than my own. The portions are massive, overall great place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yorkshirelass103
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Although I have never stayed in the motel I just had to write a review about the pub and the food. Firstly its a charming little place, a bit olde worlde with references to the canal, boating and shipping. A little bit dated but really cosy and warm. The hosts are from the old school of traditional landlord and landlady's, warm, friendly and professional. As a beer drinker I can honestly say that the beer is spot on and reasonably priced. There is also a good selection of wines, spirits etc. Now the food......I have lived on canal street for five years and used to visit almost every friday evening until a couple of years ago, various landlords have come and gone over the years, some good some not so good but about six months ago a new team took over and they sub let the restaurant. Driving past each day we noticed that an "A frame sign" had been put up advertising meals 7 days a week. The number of cars parked outside steadily increased especially at tea time and we became curious to find out what the fuss was about.
Four went along last week and we were blown away, Great atmosphere, friendly landlord and land lady and great beer. We found the lady from the restaurant and asked if we could have a table. She told us that there wasn’t one free at the moment but that she would give us a call as soon as possible. The place was so busy and a great buzz about the place. The diners were from all kinds of backgounds but it was a really civilised atmosphere and we felt very comfortable.
We were seated about 20 minutes later and shown the menu board on the wall. I think there were about 15 meals to choose from all of which sounded delicious and all of which were £5.00 what a bargain! We sneakily looked at the meals which the other guests were eating and were so impressed with the size and presentation of them that we hurriedly placed our order. One chose Scampi, another gammon, and I had lasagne. (Can’t remember what the other diner had). When the meals arrived I was amazed! How on earth they do those meals for a fiver I will never understand. I know that this is a pub but these meals are restaurant quality. When I eat anywhere new I always try to pick something safe. This was the best lasagne I have ever eaten! Even better than my own! As for the scampi….WOW there was half of Whitby on that plate! Everyone was impressed and couldn’t wait to tell the lady that served us. She was so lovely I cannot praise her highly enough. I have already been back and had the chicken tikka……delicious never seen as much chicken in a curry and cheaper than a take away! Thank god this place is on the street where I live I could eat there every day of the week for £35.00 and never have to cook again! (would be the size of a house though ha ha)
Give it a try, for a fiver you cant loose…………

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tony R
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Well what can I say about this place? Called last month to book a room for this weekend, was quoted £30. Rang last week just to confirm the room, at no time did she want a name or number.Turned up this Saturday a couple of hours before we were meant to be at a party at the Metrodome just round the corner to be confronted by an old man who made us feel as welcome as as the grim reaper. We made our own way down the road to the room that was in a separate block. The room stank of damp, it was a twin and we had asked for a double.The decor was circa 1972. What a hole. The old fella turned up at the door then demanding £36 even though on two occasions the landlady told us £30, we refused as it wasnt worth 36p never mind £36, was so glad it was more because it gave us a chance to make an excuse and get out of that god forsaken pit. We stayed at the Premier Inn nearby, was twice as much but was friendlyly clean and welcoming, something the Keel Motel will never be

Room Tip: Stinks of damp, dirty and very ufriendly
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank nothappy s
Reviewed 15 March 2012

would highly recommend this place to stay, we paid £30 a night including breakfast(monday-friday),room was very clean, kettle tea & coffee supplied,24 hour asda store just 2 mins away, also mc donnalds 2 mins away the keel inn just next door,also gym on site,only 5mins to barnsley town centre buy car, or you can work it in 15mins we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple