“Small but well worth a visit.”

Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre
Ranked #4 of 47 things to do in Barnsley
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre is dedicated to the history and people of Barnsley. Visitors will uncover the incredible story of Barnsley told through centuries-old artefacts, documents, films and recordings that have been donated by people living and working in the borough. Unique, hands-on and interactive exhibits encourage visitors to explore the people and places of Barnsley, ultimately leading them to discover a town with amazing stories and a rich and diverse heritage. Free entry - seven days a week. Mon-Fri 9am-4pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Small but well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

After hearing friends saying how nice it was I decided to visit with the grandchildren. They really enjoyed the audio visual parts, especially the one where the different generations of barnsley people spoke to the audience. The main part of the display was what I enjoyed most. There were lots of articles that Barnsley people had donated and this was very interesting. There was everything from shoes, school uniform and handbags to an old tin horse from a roundabout that was suspended from the ceiling. There were lots of hands on things for the grandchildren to play with, puzzles and activities and even dressing up clothes.

They do special activity sessions in school holidays as well so I will look out for that during the summer.

We finished with a trip to the small cafe that is located just by the entrance. We had a lovely latte and the children were able to choose from different cans and bottles of drink. They do meals and snacks and although we didn't eat that day we did see orders being served at nearby tables. There was a short waiting time while meals were being prepared but everything that came out of the kitchen looked really good and there seemed to be lots on the plate. The surroundings were modern and it all looked clean and fresh.

Location might be a bit of a problem for some people because the building is at the top of a hill but as it is inside the old town hall there's not a lot you can do about it I suppose, given that the building itself is part of the history of the town.

We will definitely go back with the children over the school summer holidays, probably when they are holding one of their activity days.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Barnsleyblueeyes

Tamworth, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A 'must see'...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

What a wonderful attraction - and best of all it's free!

We visited the museum shortly after it had opened and we were very impressed with the range of content and the diverse activities to get everyone engaged.

We weren't able to stay as long as we would have liked so we plan to go back again as soon as we get the opportunity to do so.

Highly recommended for families with young children as there are lots of 'hands on' activities for little ones to enjoy.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank hppy66
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“An enjoyable visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Spent an enjoyable afternoon here. Particularly enjoyed the section on Barnsley FC and the video room on the industrial history of Barnsley, with the characters talking to camera.

I suggested in an e-mail to the museum that they devote a section to the dialect of this area, with many audio examples. I also asked them why the Koran was featured in a showcase, as Islam has zero relevance in the history of Barnsley. Needless to say, I received no reply!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank yorkie1234
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Had a great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Visited the museum with my 6rd old and my parents and had a really enjoyable time. There were lots of different exhibits and lots to engage children with interactive activities and videos.

It was great looking back over the history of the town and to say I've lived in Barnsley all my life I didn't know lots of it. My daughter loved all the learning activities and spent ages building her own town. My parents enjoyed looking back at how the town had changed over the years.

To say the museum is free is a big credit to the organisers, there's a section that they will change to show different exhibits which means we will definitely visit again.

The toilet facilities were nice and clean and the cafe even though we didn't use it looked nice. To round of a good visit kids (and adults) can enjoy a run through the water fountains outside :-)

Well worth checking this museum out.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Younghep
Barnsley, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Surprisingly enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

A perfectly sized museum that had some great exhibits. I didn't realise Barnsley had so much history.

Visited February 2014