“Great evening, but a poor finish”
Review of Brooklands Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barnsley
Brooklands Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Barnsley
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great evening, but a poor finish”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I attended a function at this hotel which was excellent. This is a lovely building with very good rooms, however, the service is not quite as good as we would have liked or expected. The rooms were very warm but there was no air conditioning or available fans. I rang reception to request a bath towel as there was only one of these in the room and was advised that someone would bring this as soon as possible. Our function was due to begin at 7pm, however, the towel did not arrive until we got back in our rooms after the function had finished and I ended up using a hand towel after my shower in order to get to the function on time.

The morning after, we went down to breakfast to join our friends who had been waiting some time for a table. We were shown to a table which had only cutlery on it, no crockery was set ready. We went to the breakfast bar to get our breakfast which was good but we had to stop a member of staff to get them to bring us cups and saucers. There was only one teaspoon provided for four of us. There were plenty of staff on duty that morning, but they all seemed to be milling around not really taking in diners' requirements. We attracted the attention of a waitress and asked for tea and coffee. She went off to get some and about 10 minutes later, she arrived back with it. There were no milk jugs on the table and when we asked for some, she disappeared again for quite some time. When she came back, she brought a large jug of frothy milk. I poured a small amount of this into my cup of tea only to realise that the milk had gone sour! Again I attracted the attention of another waitress and advised her about the milk, she apologised and went to get a fresh cup of tea and some milk. It took what seemed like an age before she came back, still apologetic and advised that the chef had asked her to apologise on his behalf. She was very pleasant and gave me a small pot of tea but no milk. She went to get some milk for me but returned empty handed and asked if I would like her to take my cup of tea to put milk in it for me. I refused and asked her to bring the milk to me.

My friend then went to the breakfast bar to make some toast and noticed that the top of the cooked food bar was thick with dust. All in all, it was a less than satisfactory breakfast experience.

Clearly, the restaurant is not big enough for the number of guests that the hotel can house and some thought should be given by The Holiday Inn, to providing guests with individual pots of tea and coffee (with jugs of milk!) rather than having their staff running around like headless chickens. Although the staff were all polite, they are obviously not well trained in service and this is a shame for them as well as the guests. Things could be very different if they would only invest in their people.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ruth B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Just had to pop a quick thank you o for the Brooklands,I had bought a groupon deal for four people so we went on monday the 17th june for a late fathers day treat and I've got to say the food,presentation and overall setting was just lovely. We will come back and the dessert was especially good.

Room Tip: I know its a Holiday Inn but the food is lovely
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I was invited last minute to the Christmas Event last night at Brooklands. What a fantastic night!!The food was great, the staff were brilliant, the decor was fab. Will deffinately be going back. Cant wait

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
yorkshire
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed for a night over the weekend at Brooklands in Barnsley. It was for a special occasion (I was 3 years off the cigarettes) and I wanted to do celebrate in style. What a warm and genuinely friendly greeting from the receptionist on arrival. The bedroom was warm and spacious and the bed was sooooooo comfy too. Everything was just as I hoped. I had booked a table in the restaurant and had also specified that we would be needing a gluten free meal. When we arrived at the restaurant we were shown to our table by Nicholas who ran through the menu with us and offered us gluten free bread and rolls. I was amazed at the choice we could have as everything is made fresh and the chef could adapt most of the menu to suit us. I have eaten in 4* restaurants before where only one or two items on a menu would be suitable to eat. I have got to recommend the Tornedo Rossini we both had .... real melt in the mouth steak! Tom and Nicholas served us and their customer service was top class. Was blown away by the place and will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We went there on Sunday 7/4/13 on a Living Social voucher and both the service and food were excellant. There was plenty of food (extras available at no extra cost) and the service throughout was friendly and courteous. Beef was delicious and the strawberry cheescake was one of the nicest I've ever had!
Will definately go there again - and pay full price!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
doncaster
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Did something different for a change took my mum for afternoon tea, for Mother's Day. What a tea it was, lots of choice for the sandwiches and cakes. Service was very good and pleasant. All the food was fresh and presented very well. Will be doing it again for Mother's Day beats buying over priced flowers that die within a couple of days!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mgp007
Barnsley
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We held a 60th Birthday party for my husband on Sunday 6th January. What a fabulous day, the service was so professional but with the personal touch that made us all feel so special.

Great service, good food, keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sharon H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnsley
Holiday Inn Barnsley
#4 of 8 in Barnsley
Bagden Hall Hotel
Bagden Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett

Been to Brooklands Hotel? Share your experiences!