“Really Nice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tankersley
Derby, United Kingdom
“Really Nice”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I recently booked this hotel for a Spa Break with some friends of mine. I found the location very easy to find, just 2 minutes off the M1. We arrived at 11.30 and checked in with no problems, rooms all ready , 108 and 109. Had a really nice 2 course lunch in the bar (soup and sandwhiches) and then went for our treatments which were promptly delivered by some wonderful ladies. Had a wonderful time in the pool, sauna and jacuzzi.
In the evening we enjoyed a nice meal in the restaurant (for which we each had a £25 credit) the food was to die for, we had a variety of starters mains and dessert from the menu all of which were 5*.
Now my only gripe comes into the visit, our rooms were directly above reception and heated to around 90 degrees, so we had to open the window to make them bearable, which was not a problem apart from the fact that people were stood beneath our window ALL night chatting and smoking which was horrendous and also let the sound of the constant traffic noise in .
The breakfast the following morning was very pleasant and seemed well stocked.

Overall I would return to this hotel but request a room away from the reception.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lisag1967
fleurg, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for your feedback, I am please to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, our Spa packages are very popular. Our heating system will be updated within the next few weeks, I will expect that you will notice an improvement during your next visit with us or why don’t you try one of our new popular QStar rooms.
I look forward to welcoming you in the very near future.
Yours sincerely

cgitton@qhotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
failsworth
Reviewed 16 February 2011

went to the spa only for a day . the deal included full use of all facilities and a manicure. the facilities were extremely limited and very disappointing. the pool was the size of a postage stamp, the sauna and steam rooms were ridiculously small and a bit smelly. the jacuzzi was actually part of the pool and again very small. the worst part though was when we arrived we were not given towels or robes and had to pay £4 each for them. never have i had to do this at any of the many spas i've been to. the leisure manager was most unhelpful and would not offer any discount as a good will gesture. he even got his staff to stand with him while we questioned the offer.this made us feel uncomfortable and we felt as if we were being "ganged up on"!! if we had know before hand that these items were not provided we would have taken our own. there was no info on the vouchers to say these items were not included in the price. we were therefore forced to hire them and feel totally ripped off.we felt they had been dishonest with us. a day that was supposed to be relaxing turned out to be anything but. definately 2nd rate spa and 2nd rate service and the leisure manager could do with some customer service training too.will never go back as there are many more spa which are much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank michelefailswoth
fleurg, General Manager at Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels, responded to this review, 17 February 2011

I would appreciate if you could contact me as it gives me the impression that there was a misunderstanding regarding the content of this special offer.
Under no circumstances we would like to misinform our guests and I need to rectify this quickly.

West Yorks
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Attended Alexanders Ball on Friday night and stayed overnight a fantastic evening the food was very good. Our room was nice, but be careful of the showers which runs from scalding to freezing when in use, breakfast buffet good but with so many down to brekkie at same time chef was rushed to get food out! Used the swimming pool and steam room & Jacuzzi which were great. Another great night, we have been to this hotel before to a wedding and stayed over Tankersley Manor is definitely the place to go if you want that special occasion. A cripe which was common throughout all guests was the drinks are riduculously very very expensive i.e. a bottle of Sav Blanc £28 the cheaper £18 bottle none left!!! a popular hotel with good functions why do they need to charge so much for the drinks and the wine which is nothing out of the ordinary guests felt ripped off paying so much perhaps the hotel may wish to respond on this point?
Other than the expensive drinks a great place for a function.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read that you had a great time and you will be please to know that the event was extremely successful and raise a lot of money for a great cause. This may now become an annual event.
We have now fixed the maintenance issue in the room, thank you for bringing it to our attention. I would like to discuss your comment regarding the price of the bottle of sauvignon blanc. It seems that we may need to deliver further training to our team as we have a good choice available.

I would appreciate if you could contact me whenever it is convenient.

york
Reviewed 13 February 2011

booked weekend package which included breakfast and evening meal on both days. food was sound. you are entitled to 25 quid for a 3 course meal each evening. it is impossible to get 3 courses for this but the food was good, the restaurant area was nice and the staff were excellent. we didnt book any treatments in the spa but used the pool area which was great, nice and clean, the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were also good. the only faults we found with the hotel were that the bar area is a bit grim. it reminded us of a wetherspoons pub-could do with updating. the only other problem was the bed was uncomfortable, but we are used to a firm bed so this might not be a problem to most. the best thing about the hotel were the staff. they are all friendly and very helpful. in all we had a nice relaxing weekend and would recommend the hotel to anyone

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read that you had a great time with us and will pass on your comments to the Team.
We are revising our restaurant menu and the choice within the £25 allocation will be widely extended. Please come back and sample our new menu very soon.

We are looking forward to seeing you in the very near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Just got back from a spa weekend at Tankersley Manor. Everything about the weekend was fabulous. I was celebrating a special birthday with a group of family and friends and the staff at Tankersley made it that extra bit special. Everyone was very accommodating and were willing to go the extra mile to help with all our needs. Although all the staff were great, we all want to say a special thank you to James and Sam who looked after us at dinner and for Sam who made sure my celebration was carried over to breakfast. The hotel is lovely, and way the beams riun through the rooms, we thought was fascinating and made them so appealing. We spent two days relaxing in the spa. The treatments were carried out by polite and caring staff and left us feeling great. We could have done with a few more beds around the pool but we managed to cope. All in all a very good value for money plus hotel.

• Stayed February 2011

I am delighted to read that you had a great time with us and will pass on your kind comments to the Team.
Please check our website as we have some fantastic offers available throughout the year.

We are looking forward to seeing you in the very near future.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed at Tankersley Manor Hotel in January 2011 on one of their winter deals. The price was £190 for dinner bed an breakfast which seemed like a good deal. We chose the hotel as it was a spa hotel and we fancied relaxing with some spa treatments over the weekend. On completing the booking we filled out a contact form for one of the advisors to contact us to arrange what spa treatments we would be interested in. We had no issues with paying extra for the treatments however the hotel fell down at the first hurdle when nobody called us back to book any treatments. If they weren't going to call us back then why have us complete the form. Both myself and my partner tried in numerous occasions to call the hotel to book treatments when we heard nothing but Nobody appeared to want to answer the phone. Consequently by the time we got around to going to the hotel we had resigned ourselves to hoping that we could book on arrival. Yet again we were disappointed as all of the treatments had been booked up so we could not have any treatments.
Prior to setting off to the hotel I went into the website to obtain directions to the hotel and after following the directions to the letter we ended up down a dirt track at the end of church lane worsborough. It was not my map reading that was to fault but the website directions as the hotel is not in fact down church lane worsborough but church lane Tankersley. This matter was pointed out to staff on arrival so hopefully should get remedied. The location of the hotel is very close to a busy main road although the road cannot be heard from inside the hotel. There was ample parking and the reception area was friendly and inviting. On arrival the reception staff were attentive and helpful and swiftly booked us in. We went up to our rooms through the low corridors and found our room very easily. The room was a reasonable size and clean with plenty storage for items. The fittings were starting to look a little worn and the room particularly the bathroom could have done with a fittings refresh. On the first evening we ate in the bar and the food was really nice. It was served promptly and the serving staff were friendly and polite. One thing we were surprised at was a limit that was put on the food that we could order within the included dinner price. We were allowed £25 worth if food each allowance which sounds a lot but when the food is priced quite high anyway it reduces the choice. There is the option to pay the additional cost of food over the £25 allowance however this is not made clear until after you arrive at the hotel and could be an issue for propel who have a limited budget. The drinks prices in the bars were in my opinion scandalous (2 drinks being just under £10). A 25 ml shot of disaronno was £3.10 when you can buy a whole bottle for £10 in the supermarket. To drink and be merry on that bottle would have cost £90 to a guest plus mixers. Also the prices of drinks are not clearly advertised in the bar area so the bill comes as a surprise. The bed was comfortable and the heating in the room could be adjusted individually. The only issue with the heating was that it was quite noisy. The room we stayed in (216) suffered very badly from the sound of banging doors and there was the continual whirring of an extractor fan or similar on the second night. The walls between rooms appeared very thin and that coupled with the fact that there had been a wedding reception on the saturday night that had continued in the room next door to ours meant that our second nights stay was very restless. On the second evening we ate in the restaurant and I cannot praise the standard of the food and service enough. It made our stay. The smiling face and good sense of humour of the staff was a pleasure to be around. In particular one member of the restaurant staff was very Friendly. So thank you Claire. There was plenty choice for breakfast and again it was well cooked. My partner paid an additional £3.50 for the eggs benedict and stated afterwards that it was the best she had ever had. Again the staff were friendly and helpful and our thanks go out this time in particular to Mohammed who could not do enough for the guests. Booking out was dispensed with quickly and efficiently with no dramas. To sum up the initial disappointment of the hotel not returning our request for contact about a spa treatment was compensated for by the excellent food and great service at the hotel. The pool and gym facilities were excellent but the rooms clean but nothing special. I would however stay there again at some point in the future when they have sorted out the spa booking issue.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Vinders

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
You will be please to know that we are revising our restaurant menu and will extend the choice within the £25 allocation.
However I would like to be able to discuss the communication issue with your Spa booking therefore would appreciate if you could get in touch with me.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to speak to you very soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

Just returned from Tankersley Manor after staying for 2 nights. Myself and a friend were wanting a 2 night spa break package as advertised on their webiste, but were told that this was not possible and the spa breaks were only for 1 night. We ended up having 2 different packages for our stay, with the second night costing considerably more. We did upgrade to a suite as we wanted a little more luxury, but the suite was barely bigger than a normal room and the bathroom was smaller in the suite. The only real difference was that we had a 4 poster bed and 2 free bottles of water. The room was nice, albeit dusty and in need of a hoover, so we decided to make the best of our weekend, despite having a "lovely" view of the bins from our window.
Room service is basically the bar menu, and has a large choice, but its definitely NOT 24hr. They couldn't make a grilled pannini at 10.30pm!! Drinks are expensive, coming in at almost £8 for a glass of wine, and even around £2.50 for a small coke. The staff however were very attentive and friendly, they work very hard at doing their best to serve you. I couldn't fault the staff there.
The spa however, that is the most disappointing place I have ever been into. With the spa package you get 2 mini treatment included, but as they are just mini treatments lasting half an hour each, we wanted to treat ourselves to a few extra. When we approached the reception desk, the staff bust out laughing! The whole weekend that myself and my friend were there, there were NO appointments free at all. We were then told that if we wanted extra treatments that we would have needed to book almost 3 months in advance. We only booked up to go here 3 weeks ago!!
To top it all off, I had valuables taken from the room!
This hotel is not worth the money that it costs and should be rated as a 2 star venue rather than a 4 star. I almost need another spa break to get over this one!! If you have already booked to go here, GOOD LUCK and if you are thinking about it, DON'T!!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank beautyjunkie
Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed to read that your stay was not enjoyable and would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss your comments.
I hope that you will give me the opportunity to restore your faith with us.
Yours sincerely

cgitton@qhotels.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tankersley
Whitley Hall Hotel
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Wortley Hall
Wortley Hall
#1 of 1 in Wortley

Been to Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels? Share your experiences!