“Well it was Royal Ascot Week!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of White Gates Hotel

White Gates Hotel
and 1 more site!
White Gates Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Binfield B&B and Inns
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Well it was Royal Ascot Week!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The rooms are decent sized and clean but the furnishings are basic quality, the TV was very small with a separate digi box, not sure why but there was an empty fridge consuming electricity, however there was an ironing board. The bathroom was good sized but a bit tired and apart from two small sachets of shampoo and hand lotion and a pump hand soap there were no other toiletries provided so take your own shower gel (no bath). Breakfast is cooked to order but you don't get a choice apart from what you don't want and I'm not sure what the sausage was. Looking for a place to stay around Bracknell at short notice during Royal Ascot week is a challenge. The White Gates was available but at a price! Generally everything seems to be low budget and I think this hotel would be decent value at half the price per night. I wouldn't choose to stay here again, so will book early if I am staying in Bracknell this time next year to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Veteran75

Families
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

White Gates is a pleasant guest house close to Bracknell. My room was small but covered all my needs I.e. warm, clean, en-suite, fridge, tv, and wifi. I requested a quiet room and got exactly that (but that is the smallest room, overlooking the garden). Breakfast was cooked to order and was more than enough to keep me going all day! I was greeted by the owners son who was friendly and made me feel welcome, the hotel staff were quietly efficient and looked after guests on an individual basis- I.e. answering questions about the area, finding phone chargers etc. as a business hotel white gates met all my expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in October. Hotel is set in quiet village near Bracknell. Friendly welcome as we arrived, room small. Area has recently gone digital, needed 2 controls to work TV - and then had to aim one between under the desk and above the fridge!
Some bathroom fittings needed repair/replacement.
Were asked what time we wanted breakfast between 7am & 8am, asked for 8.30am but that was laughed off. Had to be down for 8am!
Whole house is clean and very simply furnished; seemed to be 6 bedrooms, 3 of them on ground floor. Other guests were men on own - assume White Gates is just really for businessmen.
Reasonable value for money for a B&B (cheap for outer London area?) and can recommend it in
this way. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We chose this B&B because of its proximity to meet a friend. It's perfectly adequate for the one night we stayed here. The room was spotless, yet small, almost cramped. The lighting in the room was horrible, which made it difficult to read. What was most off-putting was the owner telling us that continental breakfast was at 8. I reminded him that the description included full cooked breakfast, to which he said we could have. Although relatively close to Windsor and Ascot, the area is primarily a commercial district. This B&B might be better suited to a business traveler. I wouldn't choose to stay here again given this experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

It was a very enjoyable relaxing hotel in beautiful surroundings. Breakfast was as good as many top hotels. All in all great value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, so that we could visit some National Trust properties.

I booked through late rooms, not that I saved any money, but I wanted to contact the owner to ask about the size of the bed, we have a 5 foot bed, and don't want anything less, I was told it was a large bed, so went ahead and booked.

While walking around Wadderston Manor (a must to see ) I got a text saying that there is a code to use to get into the house,and that the key would be in the door of our room, this was very easy to do on our arrival.

We went into our room, which was overlooking the garden, which we were pleased about as the hotel is on quite a busy road, it was very clean, and even had a small fridge in it, which was very nice as it was rather warm out, but as we looked around we thought they had given us the wrong room, small bed standard 4'6" with 1 pillow on it, 1 cup on tray with 1 glass, and in the en suite shower room (which was very nice and clean) 1 towel, so I rang his mobile. He said that no this is a double room he will bring in the extra pillow ect..

When we said that we asked for a big bed, he said that yes it comes from Ikea and it's big, showing us a 6" wooden suround (which we kept walking into!!!).

Well we stayed and found a few more really silly niggles, the pop up plug in the sink was broken so very difficult to wash in the morning, and the soap dish in shower was broken so had to keep putting shower gel and shampoo on floor. The other niggle was the curtains were white with a very flimsy lining, so by 4 in the morning the sun was shining through.

There is a big sky dish on the front of the hotel, but in our roon no sky TV, (room 1) if you could find a channel there was only 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Breakfast is served from 7a.m for continental and fron 7.30 to 8.30 for cooked, this was very nice freshly cooked and set us up for the day. The cooked breakfast consisted of 2 eggs, beef sausage, beans, half tomato and a hash brown with as much toast as you wanted, you could also help yourself to fruit, cereal and muffins.

We would stay again, but in the winter months because of the light coming into the room, I think the owner lives on site and the gentleman who I spoke to, and the lady who cooked breakfast were both very friendly.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same price, if you want a quiet room ask for one facing the garden