“Room was lovely - everything else just let it down”

Fines Bayliwick House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Binfield
Norwich
“Room was lovely - everything else just let it down”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed on business for 1 night. The staff were frosty to start with, making me feel like a burden not a guest!, but did improve over the night I stayed. No signage for where the rooms and had to ask the receptionist as she didn't tell me where I needed to go...
The bedroom was lovely, spacious, clean and warm. The bathroom was basic and the shower cubical was small and the door opened into the shower so you have to be quite flexible to have a shower!!
The food tasted as though it was bought and microwaved and breakfast was confusing. Having given my time and choice of English or Continental the night before I went down and was asked for my room number and told to take a seat. That was it... then breakfast arrived, no choice of what you wanted in your English breakfast which I found just odd. All in all it could be a lovely hotel if customer services and the food is addressed

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gorge4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
edinburgh
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed on business in January. Lots of scaffolding and care worn exterior not v positive first impression. Check in requires answering range of questions: time and nature of breakfast etc. more of a guest house approach than hotel. Room 3 was a bit careworn with broken lights, hard bed and inadequate electric shower.
Dinner a little surreal in a Conservatory decked out like an Indian restaurant. Food ok but limited. Flat refusal to provide a simple fruit salad in place of stodgy desserts.
Breakfast adequate but uninspired.
I'm going back to area next week and have asked for a digpfferent hotel. Enough said.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EdinburghMrsd

Travellers are raving about these Binfield hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was staying for two nights this weekend to visit some friends. I have to say the location of the hotel is excellent, probably in one of the best areas in Berkshire. The place is very quiet and peaceful, had a great sleep which this time was all I needed after some very tiring journeys through the country. The rooms are nice and cozy with just the right temperature and perfect beds. The staff were very nice and helpful and taking into account the very reasonable prices I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have just returned from the Fines Bayliwick after a one week stay on Business.
I had read the reviews below and was a little apprehensive but it was too late to cancel and re book somewhere else.
On arrival I was greeted by the owner 'Sandy' He was a vey nice polite fella who could not do enough for us. His Partner 'Dee' is also a quite lovely person who went the extra mile on more than one occasion making our stay comfortable.
We stayed on room 3 which appeared to have a brand new carpet, The room was of a decent size and was clean, comfortable and fresh. Two things that would have improved this room would be blinds at the picture bathroom window as in winter you would not really want to see a naked profile of the wife and I :-) . The other would be to do something with the shower as it had a habit of running hot and cold. I am sure that the owners will get round to sorting this out as they are only minor things and other than this, The room was perfect, The breakfast was good, Yes not huge but We both preferred it this way as we are not fat and greedy and do not want a huge breakfast repeating on us all day. I would class the full English as what it was, It ticked all the boxes. The breakfast staff were great and very friendly and obliging. One tip for the owners, Not at any point were we offered the tea of coffee option. I think it was because the staff were fairly new and just need a little tweaking,, All these very small niggles aside,, We both very much enjoyed our stay at the Fines Bayliwick and will stay here again if I am working in the area. The other reports on this Hotel seem very unfair and I suspect that somebody may have been out to damage their reputation. My report is un- bias and accurate. I can not comment on the evening meal but the conservatory was full of diners every night which speaks for itself. I can only comment on the room I stayed in which was just the ticket.

Room Tip: Room 3 is nice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 565Michalis
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I will start with the room. I stayed in room 12 and to be honest there was nothing wrong with the room. Clean, warm, size was spot on for just me, though the bed was a little on the small side and when i checked in had blankets. I asked the next morning at breakfast would it be possible to have a duvet and by the time i got back in the evening there was one on the bed. The bathroom though small was good enough for one person but to have two in there at the same time not possible. I laughed when i read a comment about the shower being like a coffin but true enough it was but the plus side plenty of hot water and the pressure was good.

Ok now onto the reason why i have given this rating......

The evening meal menu. I have never seen such a poor menu it is made up of rice based and pasta dishes. Yes there are a couple of other things but the selection is very poor. What makes this worse is there is no chef to be see and the food on the 3 evenings out of the 8 i stayed there was prepared by the night reception staff. The was no way this was fresh made and for the price of approx £15 drink included is to be honest for a frozen reheated meal is just not on.

On one evening i went down to find the restaurant padlocked closed and was told by the staff the chef was ill ???????? but you have no chef was why lie. It was obvious that the young lady did not want to serve me as she sat there with a y0ung man beside her. The only thing that stops me dropping the service to poor is the breakfast staff always smiling and ready to talk to you and at least the food is fresh cooked.

As the title says this could be a LOT better and mean it.... You have only yourself to blame.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nik1966_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

A good nights sleep after a day at ascot races and nice meal out ! Very good price, although we booked several months in advance. Would recommend . We didn't have breakfast but found a good cafe in mill park .

• Stayed October 2013
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The attractive hotel was easy to find and had plenty of on site parking. After being shown to our room it was evident that it had been prepared for a sole occupant, having only 1 towel in the bathroom and 1 cup on the beverage tray. This was soon remedied by the friendly reception staff. Our ground floor room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. It was nicely decorated with lovely new carpet, and was quiet except for a squeaky floorboard next to the bed! The bathroom was small but had a good powerful shower. We only stayed for one night and left early the next morning so did not experience breakfast at the hotel but we felt that £10pp was a bit too much to charge on top of the room rate. We would stay there next time we are in the area but breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binfield
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Travelodge Bracknell
Travelodge Bracknell
#1 of 2 in Binfield
Travelodge Bracknell Central

Been to Fines Bayliwick House? Share your experiences!