“Great Venue for a special treat”
Review of Monkey Island - CLOSED

Monkey Island
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Monkey Island is just beautiful - an island in the Thames, peaceful gardens complete with two inquisitive peacocks and graceful old buildings. We had tea and it was what every afternoon tea should off - a range of sandwiches, good scones with jam and cakes. It is the setting that makes this such a great experience - plus staff helpful and tolerant of a messy two year old.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I booked to have afternoon tea here as a treat for my wife's birthday.
The hotel is privileged to be in a beautiful location on the Thames and as you walk over the bridge you can feel a sense of calm descending.
Unfortunately, when we got there and we're shown in to the restaurant area there were a couple of disappointments. Firstly, it's a very dark room, which doesn't have any views of the water- a shame considering the riverside location is the main feature of the place.
Secondly, there is one nice (much lighter) window table in the restaurant. Despite the face we'd booked a long time in advance (for a Wednesday afternoon- we were the only paying customers in the restaurant) this table was taken up by hotel management, having their lunch from the kitchen and talking incessantly and loudly about how they can get more money out of guests who book weddings there. To my mind, this was inconsiderate and selfish. If we were walk-ins I would understand, but we'd booked and they knew we were coming.
These downsides were a real shame because the afternoon tea itself was lovely!

2  Thank ma0nps
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Having received a response to my complaints re lunch on 30th June 2013, I made another visit to Monkey Island Hotel for lunch on 6th September 2013. On this occasion I have nothing but praise for either the food or the service.

I would be more than happy to go back for lunch in the future.

Mrs J Agius

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I attended a Wedding and reception at Monkey Island... There is literally nothing about this location that won't take your breath away, and leave you in awe and wanting more. The bridge that connects the car-park to the venue has some kind of mystical power as, by the time you've crossed it, all the frustrations of the drive to the venue and battling with traffic have been completely forgotten.

The venue is nestled on the banks of the Thames, and is sublimely peaceful as river traffic idles by at a leisurely pace. The grounds and buildings are immaculately kept.

The food was absolutely delicious, and I would encourage anyone looking for the quintessential wedding or event venue to definitely shortlist Monkey Island.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The lunch and venue were fine BUTservice was poor:

The pre lunch champagne and orange were not served promptly ( on the guests' arrival ) and were left standing in hot sunshine. We had to press the staff to begin to circulate. We had also requested extra champagne if necessary and instead glasses were collected as guests were still arriving.

We paid ( quite handsomely ) for canapés but many of our guests said they were not offered any or at best one ( whereas we had paid for 6 a piece ).

We paid for floral decorations on each table and my wife's table went without ( we understand the florists let them down ).

A complaint was made, initially to the Events' Manager which I understand was passed to the General Manager. No response. We then wrote directly to the General Manager, David Masey and the owner. No acknowledgement or reply whatsoever.

We regret that we cannot recommend this type of service.

Julie and Rowland Agius, Hemel Hempstead