“Delicious food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I agree with the reviews that comment how dark the room is ,but as we were dining on a winters evening we would have been unable to enjoy the view anyway. The room was mainly lit by candelabra which added to the ambience. We had a Living Social deal which included a three course evening meal and full English breakfast. I was expecting the normal Living Social Menu to be dished out so was pleasantly surprised to be informed that we could choose any dish on the Set Menu . there was a surcharge for the Giant King Prawn main - but that would be expected on any set menu. The wine was reasonably priced - again a pleasant surprise and started at £18 per bottle. I chose the Duck liver parfait, which was delicious and beautifully presented and sampled my husbands soup ,again very tasty. We then both chose the pork tenderloin with swede puree - again a resounding success. Dessert was a difficult choice ,but I plumped for a chocolate creation and would almost say I had too much !! Breakfast was again very good - sausages and bacon were of good quality , a good benchmark we believe. One tip is to request your eggs before loading up your plate with field mushrooms ,tomatoes sausages ,beans and bacon. The poached eggs are particularly good.

1  Thank SussexMartina
There are newer reviews for Monkey Island

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife likes carvery lunches and the Sunday lunch at the monkey island hotel is both really good and well priced. The 4 course lunch included excellent smoked salmon starters and the vegetables accompanying the generous portions were not overcooked. The service is always excellent and even in poor weather the location is great. Last Sunday with the river in full flood the water was almost up to hotel - quite exciting.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We booked here for Christmas Day lunch for my Husband and I and our daughter. We were a little apprehensive as we have never eaten here before and didn't really know what to expect, but we needn't have worried. The service was absolutely brilliant from every single member of staff and the Manager - they couldn't have been more attentive. The meal was lovely my only gripe would be the limited pudding options. There were only 2 choices one of which was traditional Christmas pudding and the other a cranberry, orange and toffee pudding, which was too similar to Christmas pudding to be a suitable alternative. I would suggest something similar to a crème brulee or panacotta would have been a better alternative. Having said that we really enjoyed our lunch and will definitely be returning for the Sunday Carvery.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

4 ladies meeting for lunch on Sunday, we decided to go to the Pavillion at Monkey Island, Bray where they do a Sunday Carvery. What a good choice, staff where great and the food was good too. Hot Soup available, plus selection of cold starter, Beef, Turkey, Pork plus all the trimmings and a good selection of desserts. All for approximately £25 per head.

1  Thank NANASMAD
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Monkey Island is just beautiful - an island in the Thames, peaceful gardens complete with two inquisitive peacocks and graceful old buildings. We had tea and it was what every afternoon tea should off - a range of sandwiches, good scones with jam and cakes. It is the setting that makes this such a great experience - plus staff helpful and tolerant of a messy two year old.