“Something not right here”

Sanctum on the Green
Ranked #1 of 1 Cookham Dean B&B and Inns
Staple Hill, United Kingdom
“Something not right here”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I'm not one to leave negative feedback and not one to leave petty remarks just constructive criticism if needed. We came here for an overnight stay on 13th May, having had lunch at Cliveden House just down the road. We booked on one of the online internet booking sites and left credit card details. The day before our arrival we received a call from the hotel to ask if we were still coming, which I thought was nice but a bit odd. I have managed a 5 star guest house in Bath and have never done that. The drive up through Cookham into Cookham Dean was delightful. The hotel looked nice. A nice well kept garden next to the court yard and the open air swimming pool looked inviting. Upon arrival we had to search for a member of staff. It had the feel of a relaxing bar, dining room area. I liked all the original music memorabilia on the walls. It became obvious that the owner was in the music business. Golds discs and all sorts of original paraphernalia, which I enjoyed. References to Iron Maiden, Robert Plant etc. I asked about the music connection and indeed the owner was the manager of Iron Maiden. ( Andy Taylor, co-manager of the British band Iron Maiden and co-founder in 1979 of Sanctuary Records, which described itself, as of January 2007, as the UK's largest independent record company, one of the world's leading developers of music intellectual property rights (IPR) and the world's largest independent owner of music - Wikidepia) When checking in, they wanted our credit card details again (Which I never had to do back in Bath) and again upon leaving they wanted our credit card details again! I just read some prior feedback and I've noticed complaints of double charging occurring. We also had to sign a disclaimer which basically was to guard against us trashing our room (Which we never had to do back in Bath) We did have a really smart print in our room on the wall which was a drawing of Tiny Tempah (I think) It must have been valuable. We didn't have much to do with the staff and we didn't hang around for breakfast only because we had other things to do. The room was small but great. The air conditioning unit was brilliant. The power shower was so good it would have taken skin off (Just how I like it!) Upon leaving I noticed by the gate a big clump of very healthy looking Japanese Knotweed. I sent an email to the hotel advising about this very invasive/ outlawed plant but I never received a response. My overall feeling was that there is just something missing here. It's not the hotel itself it's the interaction between staff and customers. Maybe it's me but there's feedback here from others so I cant be terribly wrong

Room Tip: Still come its good value for money
1 Thank NegativeOne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is lovely. the room was small (i was not in a suite) but very well appointed and beautifully decorated. The bed was like a hug. No kidding. most comfortable bed I've ever slept on in a hotel.
The restaurant on site is amazing. a fantastic gastro pub with local food/veg and a very attentive and knowledgeable staff.
I only stayed the weekend, but felt revived even though i didn't get a chance to use the spa.
Its a short walk to a number of local pubs where the locals are very welcoming and the beer is just what you need.
I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I began our stay at the hotel by having lunch in Luke's Dining Room. We both had the scallops and the lamb rump - both were delicious and we would highly recommend eating there. As it was my husbands birthday the staff provided us with a trio of desserts topped off with candles and a rendition of Happy Birthday!
After lunch we were shown to our room - we had booked the Sanctum Suite which overlooks the swimming pool and has the biggest bath and shower we have ever seen. We spent the afternoon in the hot tub by the swimming pool drinking prosecco - it was all very relaxing and we felt very well looked after by the staff who were all extremely pleasant.
Breakfast was worth the wait - all in all we had a lovely time and would definitely love to go back again.
Thank you to everyone who made our stay special!

Room Tip: Sanctum Suite is definitely worth the extra money!
ipswich
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night over bank holiday weekend. Rooms are very nice but service was terrible, no prices were displayed on the menu for dinner. Breakfast was included in the stay however when asked if we could add beans to poached eggs on toast we were told "of course", 40 minutes later we had to ask where our breakfast was and other guests had arrived after us, eaten their breakfast and left. We were then told the chef was having trouble getting the beans out of the can!!!!! At that point we asked to have our breakfast without the beans. Upon departure we paid with a different card than we had secured the booking on and after arriving home had discovered they had charged both cards. Would never stay here again as sadly they didn't care when we called to complain about the service and about the double charging. Make sure you pay with the same card you book with if you choose to stay here.

Travellers are raving about these Cookham Dean hotels

LONDON
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On recommendation we decide to treat ourselves to lunch. However we were first told to wait in the bar area. After 15 minutes we enquired how long before our pre booked table would be ready. Well it had been ready since we arrived! as the restaurant was virtually empty we were very surprised we had to wait? The starters were small, a couple of mouthfulls and it was gone!
The same goes for the lamb and as for the beef well you could have spent the rest of the afternoon having to chew your way through it. As for the desserts have seen better on the reduced shelf at Tesco! Having asked for the bill twice we decided to leave and never to return to this so called restaurant and would advise others in the area if you are passing by - keep going it is not worth stopping!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I went to sancum on the green for a meal with a couple of work colleagues! We had a meal and few drinks! It was a fab night and I'd defiantly be going back! The food was absolutely yummy!!! And the staff are fantastic and good fun! Great night... Thanks guys!

• Stayed May 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have been to Sanctum twice before and returned last weekend with our new baby - due to the lovely weather we were all able to splash in the pool and enjoyed a great time lying in the sunshine and enjoying some al fresco dining. It has a nice welcoming feel to the place due to its size, its never overrun with too many people or too much noise. Sunday lunch is particularly good value, we enjoyed all 3 courses immensely. Perry from the front of house team looked after us especially well and given that we had a young baby with us, nothing was too much trouble. We will be back again later in the summer hopefully!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Sanctum on the Green? Share your experiences!