“Fantastic warm and welcoming - a godsend after a 6hour drive in torrential rain!”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Inkpen B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at the swan inn and I must say what a complete pleasure it was. I had travelled down from the north of England for my friends wedding in the most horrific weather, but despite the remote location, there are numerous reasons to visit this quaint inn.
Firstly the warm welcome I recieved from John the manager of the inn. I was exhausted from my journey and rain but John was on hand to help me move my bags out of my car to my room, pour me a pint and sample the delicious food on offer.

Honestly if u don't stay here for the night, you must try some of the amazing beef dishes on offer- all curtesy of the local farmer I chatted to at the bar. The beef is hung for 28days and it tastes absolutely Devine as did the glorious homemade sticky toffee pudding. Just try not to sit next to what u presume is the fish tank - in turn holds the pet crayfish which gave me a fright when they tried to escape lol. The bed was comfy and waking up to ponies at your window was a bonus. The Spanish waitress was a pleasure to speak to and on both occasions my eggs were poached to perfection and my tummy was very satisfied. Top marks for a hidden gem in the glorious countryside. Pauline

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cabarita Beach, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at the Swan Inn for a friend's wedding. The room was clean and comfortable and the pub is situated in a quiet location. They were quick serving the breakfast and there was a good selection of choices. When we first arrived they were friendly and helped us up to the room with our bags. I did think that £90 was a little bit pricey, but other than that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had read mixed reviews of this hotel but because of the lovely location and its commitment to good beer and locally sourced food we took the most positive view. I can see why people might comment adversely on the décor but really we could not fault the cleanliness, comfort, quality of service or the food on offer. I thoroughly recommend the beef ravioli (and my husband thought his ribeye steak was pretty good). The bar chat was friendly (and the beer good, even thought the cellar was apparently playing up).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
theswan01, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you so much for your compliments, It was particularly nice to see you contradict the odd poor comment in one or two other reviews.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at The Swan to attend a local wedding to avoid taking a taxi to one of the larger hotels located a few miles down the road. If I ever find myself in Inkpen again, I'll be booking a taxi.
The room itself was slightly larger than a double bed (which had a winter duvet on in the middle of summer) and had a small carpeted en-suite, liberally stained (perhaps the 'character' referred to in other reviews). Breakfast was included in the room rate and passable, but the service was slow and rather surly.

There's an enormous disparity between my experience of The Swan and some of the other 'reviews' on TripAdvisor, perhaps the 'friendly locals' who were propping up the bar on our arrival have been submitting some reviews of their own?

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jackanackanory
theswan01, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
One can only assume that this unpleasant and unjustified review was written under the influence of a hangover!!! Most of the wedding guests enjoyed a late night in the bar and were very complementary about the service and friendliness of the staff and locals alike. Perhaps he was not invited to join the party.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

To get to The Swan Inn you have to go down a few single track roads to the small village of Inkpen. Once there you will find an old country pub that has rooms with character. I found it a wonderful place to stay - charming, olde world with friendly staff who can't do enough for you, and very friendly locals (especially Comrade Andy). There is very little traffic noise due to there being litttle passing traffic. Breakfast is freshly prepared to order (as are all the meals) using local (organic) ingredients - generally from the attached farm. This is an establishment that is very much into local produce from the food to the locally brewed ale, but they also have established name drinks for those that want them. I couldn't fault the place, I'll definitely stay there when I'm down that way again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Very friendly, helpful and accomodating staff. Rooms were more than adequate for an overnight stay with very comfortable beds. Diner and breakfast were also very nice. Six of us stayed and all were very happy and impressed.

• Stayed July 2013
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Very disappointing visit. the website looked fabulous, the location fabulous and the menu fine for a country pub. However, it was empty at 8pm on a Friday and we had the restaurant to ourselves. We shared a starter of whitebait and calamares ... we had three rings of calamares, three whitebait sticking out of the rings and three onion rings on "old" lettuce for £8 ... it was all deep fried, over done and a very poor show! really I was quite shocked. We had already ordered our mains by this time otherwise we would have left by then ...

We both had one drink from the bar and was not offered anything else, either a top up or a wine list. We also had to request some bread which was odd. We were told only fillet beef was available and funnily this was the most expensive item on the steak menu - when it arrived the beef fillet was great but served with frozen chips and peas which was disappointing. What was more shocking than anything was the £70.00 bill for two drinks, one starter and basic steak and chips which was mediocre ... in my view, a complete rip-off! That is why this lovely located pub was empty on a sunny Friday night at 8pm.

Oh I wish I had chosen another pub really, I don't mind paying for good food but this was shocking. As a contrast, we stopped today at the Dundas Arms and for the same £8 starter we had home made ham hock terrine, pickles and fresh bread ... wow the difference in quality was huge!

I recommend you avoid this pup unless you want to be overcharged for less that good pub grub :-( wont be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jayn1e
theswan01, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
This is a disgraceful review written by the wife or partner who posted a review on 27th July for the same visit.
We suspect this is planted by someone interested in a local competitor.

Needless to say when asked by our chef and bar manager if everything was to their satisfaction they said yes and had no complaints.
Tripadvisor should not allow this type of review to be posted.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inkpen
The Bear Hotel Hungerford
#2 of 17 in Newbury
The Crown & Garter
The Crown & Garter
#1 of 2 in Inkpen

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!