The Swan Inn
US$83
US$316
US$308
Hotels.com
Travelodge Newbury Tot Hill(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$100
US$98
US$87
PremierInn.com
All reviewsfavourite publovely countrysideberkshire countrysidestayed two nightsfarm shopcar park'off the beatenwalking weekendlandlordpintandycombeedgeshousekeeperlucia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We only stopped by for drinks at the charming pub which has a scenic and peaceful outdoor seating area. It is quite pricey, half a pint of soda water and lime costs £1.10 here (usually around £0.30 at most pubs...) Anyway, the staff were really warm and nice and given their smart uniform (starched white shirts) guess the place is not targetting ordinary pub folk...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed over one night at the Swan Inn, Inkpen recently and was very happy with the overall experience. The staff was incredibly friendly, the rooms were nothing fancy but very clean and decent. A typical English countryside pub, nice ales and food. Very fairly priced for the quality and friendliness of the service. Looks like the owner of the place is always around so it was nice to have a chat with him as we'll. Very good value for money, highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

On arrival we couldn’t get in to the premises and were left standing outside. Eventually a customer let us in and explained that the door was just very stiff.

We were greeted by a man who appeared drunk and very loud. This distressed my wife considerably and he continued to act in an offensive manner. When I inquired if the person with whom I had made the booking, Bernard, was available he then quizzed me fairly aggressively and eventually told me that Bernard wasn’t on the premises but in Wales. He then disappeared and returned to inform me that someone else was coming down to talk to me.

The manager, John, then appeared and I explained our situation. We had been advised by the friends we were planning to meet up with that they were all staying elsewhere and asked if we would like to stay at the same place as them. I explained to John that we had come to advise of this and was told that a 25% deposit had already been taken and that the full amount would be taken from my credit card as well. I pointed out that I had not been advised of either the 25% deposit or that the cancellation charge would be the full amount when I made the booking over the phone - had I been aware of these conditions I would not have booked the room. Additionally, none of these conditions are on the website.

The following week I called to speak to Bernard. I explained that I would like to send him an email summarising our experience and was was told that he was not interested in reading my email and that there was no point in discussing the matter further. He then hung up.

Suffice it to say, I will not be going back and will never recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank James T
theswan01, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

This person did not stay. I sent the following email today:
Dear Mr Thomason

I refer to yesterdays email and our telephone conversation.

You admit that you arrived intending to agree the cancellation of your booking as you wished to stay with your friends elsewhere.

When we spoke you said the if we did not refund the cancellation charge you would post a bad review on tripadvisor.

I do not accept blackmail, the confirmation of your booking sent the day you booked the accommodation clearly states the terms and I told you the terms on the telephone when you booked. You provided your credit card details and security code knowing that we would take the non-refundable deposit and that your card would be used to pay for the room.

There was no one drunk in the bar. It was my Farm worker who met you initially and he had been feeding cattle up until about an hour before he met you.

Your allegation which is denied is clearly a manufactured attempt by you to avoid paying the cancellation charge.

I note that you have carried out you blackmail threat to post a bad review on tripadvisor.

Regards
Bernard Harris

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We visited there after a very long journey and had a lovely welcome.

Wonderful place, great food especially the beef and onion pie and so usage and mash.

Rooms were clean and comforting and I had a really good nights sleep and the breakfast was also very lovely. It made such a nice change from the normal corporate type hotel and would be my first choice when staying in the area again.

Its in a lovely location and the cider isn't bad too :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend in December 13, for a spur of the moment weekend away; the area is as lovely as anticipated, and Inkpen is a good base.

The bedroom we had was fine - nothing particularly special, but perfectly functional and clean. I think it was fairly recently decorated. However, not particularly inspiring and few of the little bits of attention to detail that would elevate the overall feel.

The bar / restaurant was almost empty (on a Saturday night) apart from the local bar-bore who spoke loudly and at length to any victim he could pin down; frankly, with the absence of much other custom on that particular evening, the rather dated and faded feel of the bar area, and finding it hard not to hear the bar-bore, our evening was a disappointment. The barman was a nice chap from foreign parts, but gin and tonic seemed a challenge too far; the wine list was poor and expensive, and the food fairly mediocre and over-priced. Following the meal, we didn't feel inclined to hang on in the bar and cleared off to read in our room. We could have eaten in the dining room instead of the bar I suppose, but would have been there completely on our own and it was even more lacking in atmosphere. If the management banned the bar-bore perhaps more people might come in and give the place a bit of atmosphere!

Sorry, but we would not particularly wish to return and wouldn't recommend it to others. I can understand why the bar was almost empty! The other pub in the area (about a mile away) that we discovered the following day was rather more to our particular taste, and was busy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gbcti
theswan01, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Always disappointing to see a poor review. The repeated references to the bar-bore are a little rude and frankly unjustified. One persons bore is another persons local character.
Most people particularly from abroad are only too happy to talk to locals hear the tails, gossip and tall stories of which in Inkpen we have an abundance.

This review contrasts sharply with other recent reviews.