“Most unwelcoming place I have ever been”
Review of French Horn Hotel

French Horn Hotel
Reviewed 15 August 2014

A group of us were caught in horrendous rain, and sort refuge in what seemed to be a perfect spot, roaring fire.....however, on asking for a drinks menu we were told unless we were guests we could not stay. We even offered to book a room, the rain was that bad, but was told the hotel was fully booked. We were ushered back out into the rain, including one friend who was heavily pregnant and soaking wet.

Even though we were not staying here, the pure fact that the hotel staff were so unhelpful and unaccommodating to their fellow human really makes you question whether you would want to stay in such a place. Personally I would keep driving.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank cat8kitten

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having travelled to many beautiful properties around the world and been very slack in writing reviews,even though many of them merit glowing comment.l just had to commit fingers to keyboard on this one.
l shall keep this short and to the point.The French Horn is all about it's restaurant.The cuisine,wine list and service is simply first class.Nowhere else do l get the feeling of ' Old School ' decadence that is so lacking these days.Our annual pilgrimage to the River Test fly fishing is always off to an absolute flier when the French Horn is involved.Michael l cannot thank you enough for the magnificent service,charisma and professionalism that you kindly extended to my partners in crime and myself.' A gentleman's measure ' in every way is what the French Horn does so very well and you are at the heart of it ! Until next time.......

2  Thank hecccy
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was invited here by my daughters for a birthday lunch. Having heard so many good things about the restaurant I had high expectations and it lived up to them. From the minute we arrived to when we left the staff were charming and attentive and Michael was a superb host. Of the nibbles the cheese sticks were a big hit but didn't spoil our appetites. We had the poached egg topped fishcake and Dublin bay prawns both of which were excellent and it was difficult to choose between them. For mains we had the duck and beef and both were delicious. Finally I succumbed to the bread and butter pudding whilst my daughters had the pineapple dessert. We had a fabulous meal finished off by tea and coffee on the terrace, which was very relaxing. I can find nothing negative to say and we will be coming back as I now have to bring my wife.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RoyalShark
Reviewed 13 July 2014

From the moment you step through the door you are treated to a wonderful welcome.A drink and nibbles on the terrace overlooking the lawn and river backwater was a good start.Escorted to a delightful table in the conservatory area and then a three course meal which was excellent.Service at all times impeccable and yet very friendly. Do visit for a treat !!!

Room Tip: Only there for lunch.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location on the river is lovely, the gardens exceptionally well kept. We stayed in one of cottages but the decor is so outdated, it was like walking into my grandmothers house without the comfort. The furniture and decor are so outdated its ridiculous. The bed is well past it's useful expiration date as you had to cling to the sides of the bed to stop yourself rolling into the 'ditch' that is the middle of the mattress. Friends had stayed in our room 2 years previous and had the same issues......so clearly management don't care about the comfort of their guests.

*** If anyone from the management team is reading this please urgently replace the matresses and redecorate your rooms/cottages, they desperately need it.***

The staff in the restaurant are extremely helpful, friendly and attentive but with starters at around £20 the menu is rather over priced. This is Sonning not a top London restaurant.

Sadly the restaurant does not open for breakfast. We did eat outside our room on a terrace area. The breakfast was OK, nothing special. Toast arrived limp and cold and I had to go in search of staff to request a fresh batch, after 10 minutes I twice went to find out where my fresh toast was. It hadn't been made and by the time it did arrive some 15 minutes later, everything else was cold. Not great service here I'm afraid.

We most certainly will not return until after some refurbishments are undertaken.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
6  Thank Jenninell
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our recent stay at The French Horn was a very enjoyable experience. The staff mostly from Portugal were fantastic. The management needs to be congratulated on producing not only 1st class accomodation but also for their management skills in providing staff & service of this caliber. Make sure you have a meal in their restaurant , you wont be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Try it you will like it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grant S
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I would just like to Thank you so much for the wonderful lunch we had for Hilary's Special Birthday. Our party of seven friends had excellent personal service and the food was exquisite . It was just perfect and I would not hesitate recommend The French Horn to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonning-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
The Wee Waif
The Wee Waif
#1 of 1 in Charvil
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel

Been to French Horn Hotel? Share your experiences!