From the river, this looked like an idyllic place to stop for a Sunday Roast... Lovely riverside location with outside tables in a gorgeous, spacious setting.
We sat outside in the sunshine. The waiter came and informed us we had to go inside to order food and drinks, but they would bring our order to us. My husband went and ordered drinks and asked for 4 Roast lunches, outside, However, we were not able to order 'Roasts' as were sitting outside. So, he was given the appropriate menus, which included Children's menus, and we chose our meals. (Incidentally, the children were allowed a Sunday Roast outside!?!?)
Our chidrens food arrived with 2 main dishes which were from another order although this was not apparent to the waitress until we convinced her it was not what we had ordered. Our starters eventually arrived, swiftly followed a few minutes later by the mains. We were then asked to make a space on the table and the mains were left, even though we asked for a chance to finish the starters. We asked to speak to the Manager who eventually turned up (we were told he was very busy) who offered to re cook the mains and took the first ones away. When the second main courses arrived, one of them contained anchovies which we had asked about, prior to our intial order (and the chef had said this salad did not contain anchovies). We returned the dish and by this time were happy not to have the dish replaced but the Manager took the dish and kindly said they would re do it and refund the cost.
The waiting staff, lady working in the bar and 'Manager' were all very pleasant and apologetic and dealt with the situation satisfactorily.
The biggest disappointment was that the majority of tables were empty but we were told the Manager was so busy. There were different menus for different areas and yet they still managed to completely screw up the order all the way through the meal. Why are adults 'not allowed' to have Sunday Roast 'outside' bit children are?!
Other customers were unhappy and commenting on their experiences as they walked past our table, so it seems we were not alone in our disappointment.
This could have been such a lovely place to dine. Attention to detail required... And someone 'front of house' who is able to make decisions and aim to give the customer what they ask for.
Sunday Roasts, for adults, outside - would that really be so difficult??!!!!
Needless to say, we wouldn't go back here....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently refurbished, The Great House on the banks of the river Thames in Sonning offers contemporary and stylish en-suite rooms. The hotel offers easy access to the A4, Reading and the M4, ample free parking for guest's use and free WiFi throughout. Bedrooms are located in separate buildings: the original White Hart Hotel, the 16th century palace yard, the 17th century coach house, and the clock tower. Rooms include a number of comfortable features including luxury bedding, work desks and rain showers. A newly opened all-day restaurant, Coppa Club, includes a relaxed bar area with an open fire and an outdoor terrace overlooking the gardens and river. Breakfast can be ordered from 7:30am and a wide range of options are available from healthy smoothies to a full Skillet Breakfast. In the main house guests can work throughout the day and enjoy fresh coffee and snacks whilst making use of the complimentary WiFi and numerous power points. Situated in the picturesque conservation village of Sonning-on-Thames, the hotel is a 20-minute drive to Reading and Henley-on-Thames and less than 2 miles from Thames Valley Business Park. We look forward to welcoming you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Great House At Sonning reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great House At Sonning Hotel Sonning On Thames
- The Great House At Sonning Sonning-On-Thames, Berkshire