“Okay for a bed to sleep in...”

The Great House At Sonning
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Okay for a bed to sleep in...”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

...but that's about it.
Overpriced for what we got and it felt like we were in a Premier Inn (which I would have preferred).
Was expecting something older, parts of the hotel are old, but the newer accommodation is just a modern "bolt on" to get more people to stay.
Will try the French Horn across the road next time.
It is right on the river front, so if there weather is nice, you can walk along the river (but you can do this anyway, without staying at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hot tiny room with lots of noises from heating / water / electrics system, uncomfortable bed, nasty flaky paint job, ancient bathroom with skid marked loo.

Very nice & friendly receptionist and restaurant staff.

Won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Sonning-on-Thames hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Popped in on Saturday as we were passing on a trip.

Food was good location beautiful, but the staff were just very offhand, this did spoil the lunch. They gave me a lecture as we were trying to get out of car park. I was not aware that we needed a code. They wanted the receipt for the meal and then kept telling me how they did not want just anyone parking etc etc (they did not say that the code was on it)- meantime we were blocking everyone coming in and out and eventually we found receipt which has the car park code on. I just felt they were rather officious even though I was telling them what we ate so they did not think I was lying- which they clearly did. Its a shame

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My partner and I were part of a family party celebrating 3 birthdays. The outside of the Hotel was very pleasant with a big Patio and Lawns running down to the River Thames. A safety fence had been erected on the River bank to stop children from a Wedding party falling in !! My food was quite good, with other members of the party having a really good steaks - but others being disappointed with their orders. The service was quite slow and the preferred pudding choice of lemon tart being sold out !! There was a problem with dripping water from the ceiling but the irritant was solved when we moved the tables !!

Room Tip: Have a look at the hotel first or get someone else to go there !!
2 Thank phil b
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went here the other week for a family celebration and were terribly disappointed. The location is idyllic, right on the banks of the river Thames in one of the loveliest (and most expensive!) villages in the country. That is all I can say in its favour though. The service was appallingly slow, 20 minutes at least between asking for more water or bread etc. and it actually arriving, dessert served but no cutlery. And the food was poor to say the least. The fish and chips had soggy batter and undercooked chips The so called linguine was, in fact, spaghetti and tasteless, the fish cake and burgers were overcooked, dry and tasteless. Need I go on? Thankfully the company was great so we did actually enjoy the day, in spite of all this!

3 Thank moonraker07
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A nightmare visit for afternoon tea August 2nd 2014.
Booked afternoon tea for 10 adults, which included family visiting from Ireland. When I booked I was warned there was a wedding party & that we may have to wait a short time for our food, which I said would be OK!!
I booked for 4.30pm, at 5.30pm we were still waiting for our food, we had been served the tea & coffee at 5pm which was cold.
I asked to speak to a manager, the restaurant manager came to see me & explained the reason for the delay. There had been a delay with the wedding starting which delayed all other services, what a poor reason for such bad service.
We finally got our food at 5.45pm, the finger sandwiches were like door steps, the bread used was bread for toasting, the tea & coffee was cold again!
We finally spoke to a more senior manager who agreed the service we received was appalling. There was 50% taken off the bill which sadly did not make up for the poor service, as the whole experience was ruined, 2 of our party had left because they were fed up waiting.
I don't blame the floor staff for such a badly run hotel,that has to be down to the managers & owners. In my opinion there was not enough floor staff to cover on such a busy day.
The hotel want to make plenty of profit with little staff, not good enough in my opinion & I doubt I will be visiting this hotel again.

Room Tip: No tip as I did not stay only visited for afternoon tea.
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

As many have said the hotel is a little tired and needs some serious monies spent on it
The hotel is old so no air conditioning but the rooms are nice size and have no complaints
Bar staff are friendly and prices reasonably, housekeeping and reception staff friendly
We attended a wedding and food was good and plentiful
Breakfast good selection and staff do their best but need to be more aware of replenishment
Reasonable priced hotel

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonning-on-Thames
French Horn Hotel
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Malmaison Reading
Malmaison Reading
#5 of 31 in Reading

Been to The Great House At Sonning? Share your experiences!