We booked a night here to celebrate our wedding anniversary - it looked so inviting on the website and we know Sonning village is lovely.
Reception was manned by one person who was on the phone so rather a wait! We were not asked if we wanted a table for dinner.
Our room was up two narrow flights of stairs and was a modest size, with a bathroom nearly as big as the bedroom. Everything seemed to work except the TV remote.
There was a wedding reception taking place in the main restaurant and private bar which seemed to be consuming all the efforts of the staff. The toilets in the public areas were in a disgusting condition.
The restaurant was ok and most of the food, although very pricey. My steak was like leather and was impossible to cut. Another diner who had the same problem was offered a steak knife, I was not. When the plates were cleared there was no comment by the waitress as to why an almost whole steak was still on my plate. I asked her to tell the chef, but that was that - no apology or offer of something different to eat.
We went to the bar after dinner and there was no-one there. A fellow guest used the internal phone to try and get help. The barman when he eventually arrived was very rude and refused to serve the other guest, saying he must go back to the private bar to be served because he was a wedding guest! Toilets in the public area by this time in an even more disgusting state.........
At breakfast the staff problem was dire. A couple of people standing around doing nothing - we had to put our cereal plates on an adjacent table to make room for our hot breakfast and collect cutlery to make up for missing items on the table. One waitress even helped herself to some ham and bread and took it outside the restaurant to eat it!
Such a shame because it is a lovely location. An investment in staff training would transform the place. Until that is done the hotel should not be charging rates equivalent to a five star hotel and giving 2 star service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently refurbished, The Great House on the banks of the river Thames in Sonning offers contemporary and stylish en-suite rooms. The hotel offers easy access to the A4, Reading and the M4, ample free parking for guest's use and free WiFi throughout. Bedrooms are located in separate buildings: the original White Hart Hotel, the 16th century palace yard, the 17th century coach house, and the clock tower. Rooms include a number of comfortable features including luxury bedding, work desks and rain showers. A newly opened all-day restaurant, Coppa Club, includes a relaxed bar area with an open fire and an outdoor terrace overlooking the gardens and river. Breakfast can be ordered from 7:30am and a wide range of options are available from healthy smoothies to a full Skillet Breakfast. In the main house guests can work throughout the day and enjoy fresh coffee and snacks whilst making use of the complimentary WiFi and numerous power points. Situated in the picturesque conservation village of Sonning-on-Thames, the hotel is a 20-minute drive to Reading and Henley-on-Thames and less than 2 miles from Thames Valley Business Park. We look forward to welcoming you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your The Great House At Sonning reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great House At Sonning Hotel Sonning On Thames
- The Great House At Sonning Sonning-On-Thames, Berkshire