“Unacceptable for the money”

Bull Inn at Streatley
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This room has been one of the worst rooms we have ever stayed in and represents very poor value for money. The mattress was terrible and was so thin there were springs coming through, leading us to sleep on top of two duvets. The shower did not work in the morning and the decor was worn and dated. This place could be so much better and the owners have clearly made no effort to maintain the place. Very poor and I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmosBrighton

Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed for only one night - £75 for a '4 poster room' This was in fact in an annex and was a rather dusty MFI type '4 poster'. It was very uncomfortable.

The room was small and the ensuite bathroom was very tired and dated. The lights did not woerk properly. The lino was badly damaged and I felt that £75 was not good value for money.

The manageress was very nice though and the food was good.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank GavinStawti
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My mother and I were walking the Ridgeway Path for the first time and when we got to the we were glad to find helpful friendly staff, a comfortable bed, great beer, and good food. The room rate was reasonable, excellent value for what we got and when compared to some of the other places we stopped at. They had a big ledger for writing down reservations -- like a big calendar book, and they made excellent sack lunches for us the next day.

I would stay here again and even try to find an excuse to stop by if I was anywhere near here. Delightful, absolutely wonderful. Yes the rooms are older, but they are clean and comfortable. Yes the shower is small, but I'm not doing laps, I want a hot shower with good pressure, and it is there. Real ale, great meat pies. excellent breakfast. Yum. The only negative thing I saw was they needed to wipe tea stains off breakfast tray that held kettle and biscuits in the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband and I stayed here whilst at a friend's wedding nearby. The welcome was warm enough and on first viewing of our room it seemed okay, compact and bijou. Let's just say it was lucky that we were there for a wedding and not for a relaxing weekend away, wanting to spend time in our room as the bed was the most uncomfortable we've ever slept in. It didn't mould to our shapes at all and we both ended up with bad backs. The rooms are dated but that's not normally an issue if it's just the decor but the television was very old and the remote barely worked and there also seemed to be a plastic sheet underneath the cotton one which was very off putting! The bathroom again was dated but it was the shower that really let it down. We even joked before using it that it looked like one that might struggle with water pressure and how right we were. Whilst I was taking a shower the water stopped because the next door bathroom was being cleaned and they were running the taps!!

I didn't know how much this room was as my husband had booked it and when we checked out and I found it was £70 I was shocked. I wouldn't even pay £50 a night for that room. The entire hotel/pub just felt tired and run down and needs a general kick up the backside. If you need to stay in the area, go elsewhere!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Salsportraits
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The Bull was our seventh stay on our Thames Path walk. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon when the pub was closed, but were met on the sidewalk by Alison (the owner) and shown immediately to our rooms (after helping us wash the layers of mud from our boots).

Dinner was a treat and the treacle sponge with clotted cream for afters is not to be missed.

Alison also prepared us packed lunches to take away with us for our continued walk the next day, a very nice touch indeed.

No, The Bull is not a five star hotel with all of the latest amenities and hasn't been refurbished in the last few years, but it is clean, welcoming and an honest pleasure to stay at.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2010

the rooms where clean but very dated the welcome was missing (non existing) the television was tiny and old and the bath was just for standing in, the lady and the girl staff were pleasant but the man in charge didnt really want to know and was rude, we had to put up with him hoovering both mornings while eating breakfast, he insisted on being paid in cash (no cards or cheques etc) and he told us off for being 5 minutes late vacating our rooms at 10-05 in the morning, i was not suprised when the pub was empty at 11-o-clock on friday night. was glad to leave..........

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank james267
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We arrived at the Bull soaked and exhausted from our day's walk along the Ridgeway. We couldn't have had a warmer welcome, despite turning up in mid-afternoon when the pub was closed. Seeing the state we were in, our host ushered us to our room quickly, offered to tumble-dry any wet clothes, and asked if we would like a beer.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with four-poster bed and sofa. We were very pleased to find it had a bath (although it was a short one). The decor was a little tired, but that doesn't bother me.

We had dinner in the bar, and were served good and tasty pub grub by friendly staff. Breakfast was also very good - well cooked and well presented.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Swan at Streatley
#1 of 4 in Pangbourne
YHA Streatley on Thames
YHA Streatley on Thames
#1 of 1 in Streatley-on-Thames

Been to Bull Inn at Streatley? Share your experiences!