“wow what a change !!”

Bull Inn at Streatley
“wow what a change !!”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

After initial concerns about the reviews on the bull we still went to sample the fayre.
Wow is all that I can say. I went with my partner and son for lunch and the Bull has had a major facelift. The food was of a very high standard and service excellent. Not exactly mitchilin star but great non the less.
We also noticed that a facelift had started on the letting rooms which by all accounts needed to be done.
If you want decent pub food and an atmosphere to match this is definatley a place to now visit.

Room Tip: we were advised that all of the rooms were pet freindly and that a large family room was available a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lillianabengal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 12 January 2012

For years I've driven passed this pub not sure whether it's open or closed, good or bad. It's traditional black and white tudor effect exterior doesn't really give much away. But we ventured in over Christmas to find a traditional lounge bar pub with incredibly friendly service, vast amounts of space and a reliable pub grub menu - to my surprise and delight, a scampi baguette!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank katiclio
Wiltshire, England
Reviewed 5 September 2011

On arrival, 6.00 pm Friday 2 Sept, having pre-booked one double room for two nights, we found the inn locked back and front. The front door was eventually opened to my wife by a lady who told her the Bull had not opened.-at 6.00pm on a Friday evening??!!!. We were shown to room 1. This room is nearest to the road but has no double glazing in spite of the fact that the Bull is on a junction controlled by traffic lights, with the additional attendant noise. To make matters worse there is a loose drain cover in the road opposite the room. This made sleep really impossible. The bed, a modern four poster was very uncomfortable and the room had no practical means of fresh air ventilation. The bathroom was large, but the water supply was erratic and the shower pathetic. The hand basin was tiny and difficult to use because of the close proximity of a glass shelf. The shelf was sloping downwards so that any item placed on it quickly crashed to the floor. As an earlier reviewer commented, the in room TV was tiny and anyway did not appear to work.
Breakfast was served in the dining area which appeared not to have been re-decorated since the introduction of the smoking ban. The dining chairs were fit for the scrap heap and very uncomfortable. Cooked breakfast was offered and was of poor quality. As an example mushrooms were offered but proved to be tinned mushrooms with no discernible flavour.
Having endured another night in the infamous room 1, we checked out on Sunday. At this point I mentioned that in our opinion Room 1 should be used until the drain cover had been fixed. This was blamed on the Council and no responsibility was taken for offering a room that had this problem. The Bull reminds me of staying in British pubs and low quality motels in the US in the 1960s - experiences I had hoped not to have to repeat in 2011, particularly at the price we paid (£150).
We had heard that this pub had been refurbished. If this is so, it is extremely difficult to see where! It is a disgrace.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wiltstraveller66

Travellers are raving about these Streatley-on-Thames hotels

Brighton
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This room has been one of the worst rooms we have ever stayed in and represents very poor value for money. The mattress was terrible and was so thin there were springs coming through, leading us to sleep on top of two duvets. The shower did not work in the morning and the decor was worn and dated. This place could be so much better and the owners have clearly made no effort to maintain the place. Very poor and I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmosBrighton
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed for only one night - £75 for a '4 poster room' This was in fact in an annex and was a rather dusty MFI type '4 poster'. It was very uncomfortable.

The room was small and the ensuite bathroom was very tired and dated. The lights did not woerk properly. The lino was badly damaged and I felt that £75 was not good value for money.

The manageress was very nice though and the food was good.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank GavinStawti
Spokane, WA
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My mother and I were walking the Ridgeway Path for the first time and when we got to the we were glad to find helpful friendly staff, a comfortable bed, great beer, and good food. The room rate was reasonable, excellent value for what we got and when compared to some of the other places we stopped at. They had a big ledger for writing down reservations -- like a big calendar book, and they made excellent sack lunches for us the next day.

I would stay here again and even try to find an excuse to stop by if I was anywhere near here. Delightful, absolutely wonderful. Yes the rooms are older, but they are clean and comfortable. Yes the shower is small, but I'm not doing laps, I want a hot shower with good pressure, and it is there. Real ale, great meat pies. excellent breakfast. Yum. The only negative thing I saw was they needed to wipe tea stains off breakfast tray that held kettle and biscuits in the room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband and I stayed here whilst at a friend's wedding nearby. The welcome was warm enough and on first viewing of our room it seemed okay, compact and bijou. Let's just say it was lucky that we were there for a wedding and not for a relaxing weekend away, wanting to spend time in our room as the bed was the most uncomfortable we've ever slept in. It didn't mould to our shapes at all and we both ended up with bad backs. The rooms are dated but that's not normally an issue if it's just the decor but the television was very old and the remote barely worked and there also seemed to be a plastic sheet underneath the cotton one which was very off putting! The bathroom again was dated but it was the shower that really let it down. We even joked before using it that it looked like one that might struggle with water pressure and how right we were. Whilst I was taking a shower the water stopped because the next door bathroom was being cleaned and they were running the taps!!

I didn't know how much this room was as my husband had booked it and when we checked out and I found it was £70 I was shocked. I wouldn't even pay £50 a night for that room. The entire hotel/pub just felt tired and run down and needs a general kick up the backside. If you need to stay in the area, go elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Salsportraits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Swan at Streatley
Premier Inn Oxford South (Didcot) Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed

Been to Bull Inn at Streatley? Share your experiences!