“Thank you for a fantastic stay”

The Swan at Streatley
London
“Thank you for a fantastic stay”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed at the Swan this weekend for a grown up hen weekend and it was utterly fabulous! The hotel is right on the river surrounded by gorgeous countryside and the delightful hamlets of Streatley and Goring. We hired the gorgeous self drive boats from the hotel and pootled up river and had a wonderful picnic on the riverbank - sun was shining, and I can honestly say the whole group loved it. Room 4 and 2 have the most fabulous balconies from which to watch the world go by/stargaze at night. Thank you to Ash who was so helpful in booking everything for me. Breakfast was buffet style and excellent. I'll definately be back in the future with the future husband!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room (room 4 is fabulous with a huge terrace!)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I recently had the chance to stay for a couple of nights at this hotel with my partner. Set in the beautiful rolling Berkshire downs. The hotel is a wonderful spot on the Thames to relax and enjoy the scenery and the wonderful surroundings

Close to many local attractions like the Didcot railway museum, The Hotel is not far from the city life of Reading or Oxford. There are many things to do here if you’re the type who likes to get out and about. But just as nice to stay local and enjoy what the hotel and surroundings have to offer.

All The staff were very polite, friendly and helpful to us. Especially the lovely South African restaurant manager and the young Canadian girl who served us the two nights we were there. All the meals we had were delicious, Very well presented, NO complaints at all on food or service. Compliments must go to the chef and kitchen staff.

We had a slight misunderstanding with the hotel when a half bottle of champagne was removed from our room by the housekeeping staff after we went for breakfast. We called reception explained what had happened and they sent a replacement up to us straightaway without any argument. I must compliment the staff on their commitment to their customers and levels of service.

The only down side to our visit was the hotel itself. The wonderful stay was slightly let down by the feeling that the hotel was a little tired looking and could do with some modernisation. The public areas and reception rooms had the same appearance. In our room the Sofa was very worn all the furnishings and fixtures had seem much better days.

Do I feel I had value for money for my stay? Yes. Would I stay here again? Yes. I just would like the place to have

Room Tip: Good river location
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Im currently laid in bed in the Swan, listening to a dripping tap, starving because even though they serve food until 10 if you order at 9.45 all the ovens are off so they can't cook for you, you can't even order a packet of crisps at the bar, so if you stay here it's great for weight loss, ideal if you are deaf and like paying to stay in a hotel that looks like an old people's home, even the resident swan outside is begging for food! On the plus the outside is pretty honestly I say think again if booking here, even the bar has rising damp!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Harveybu

Travellers are raving about these Streatley-on-Thames hotels

Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Myself and three friends booked two rooms through laterooms.com for an unbelievable rate of £119 (twin) and £99 (double) which included three course dinner and breakfast. We assumed there would be ridiculous supplements on the dinner menu but we were wrong - huge garlicky king prawns, tender sirloin steak, welsh lamb, souffle with guava juice, creme brulee - no supplements. Not only that but our meals were beautifully presented by very polite and friendly staff and superbly cooked. We were all impressed. In the afternoon we had hired an electric boat to gently navigate the Thames and this all went without a hitch - a member of staff went through the safety routine quickly and efficiently and off we went. The rooms were fine - quite spacious - but it would have been nice to have a fridge and a few more teabags and milk. Breakfast on Sunday was a buffet style but again well presented and well cooked. We couldnt fault the service - all the members of staff we came into contact with were unfailingly polite and courteous. We would definitely return. Thank you for a lovely overnight stay.

Room Tip: our room (47) had a dismal view of the car park but our friends who were staying in room 47 had a lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Booked a late deal which was great value as it included bed, breakfast, 3 course evening meal and free use of the spa. I really can't understand the negative comments on this site as our room was very nice with ample lounge area and a comfortable bed. Some reviews had me worried about the bathroom - admittedly it is not brand new (which it appears some people expect) but it was really clean and well fitted out. When we arrived we were greeted in a very friendly way and the staff were friendly and courteous throughout the hotel. The food was very good at dinner and very very good at breakfast. The location is great as are the gardens and seating areas right next to the Thames. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Classic Double which was very good.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I am not usually bothered by poor service and generally would not feel moved to write a bad review (I would just get over it) but in this case I had a pretty shoddy experience.
My wife and I arrived on a lovely sunny Saturday and chose this hotel because of its wonderful location next to the Thames. If you want to pop out for lunch or a drink then this place is absolutely fine and pleasant... Unless you want anything more complicated than a beer. After being told to take a seat outside and waiting 20 minutes in vain for a drink order, I ventured inside and asked if the bartender had an Prosecco or similar for the wife. He didn't know what Prosecco was. He asked his colleague He didn't know either. Maybe it was my pronounciation I thought. So I asked for a Gin and slimline tonic. He didn't know how to make that either but thankfully his colleague did.
The hotel is old and generally in need of some medium to heavy refurbishment. But our room was clean and more or less comfortable. Though it was a hot day and there is no aircon, which made for an uncomfortable nights sleep. We did obtain a fan but the tortured grinding of its motor meant we couldn;t keep it on for long. There was a cluster of grotty towels in the corridor leading to our room. 'They must be cleaning the rooms' I thought. But said towels were still there in the evening. Not a big issue though really.
There are two things that really killed the experience for me. The first was that you can hire little electric boats to explore the river at, it has to be said, a very reasonable price. These boats were the main reason for us choosing this hotel but they couldn't even get that right. We got up early, looking forward to a couple of hours on the river only to find an unsympathetic and frankly, uninterested receptionist telling us there were no boats available. Double booking or something I guess (she couldn't say).
So we left very disappointed. I was even more disappointed to discover I had forgotten my washbag containing some expensive toiletries and had left it in the room. My fault I know. But on phoning the hotel I was relieved to hear they would send the washbag to me in the post. I phoned twice about this issue, just to be sure. Maybe there could be a happy ending I thought. There wasn't. They didn't send it.
In summary I would say this hotel is more interested in private parties and keeping their profits high by employee inexperienced young staff (it is not really the staff's fault), than providing an enjoyable stay for the couple or individual. Serious lack of attention to detail. For example - hoovering when various people were sitting down to breakfast. Why the hell didn't they hoover before breakfast?

Room Tip: Stay in a room which isn't at this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wayne_bridgman
maidstone
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed for a family wedding over the bank holiday weekend. Every attention to detail was fantastic, the venue, food, hospitality etc etc. The hotel was completely full over the weekend for several different celebrations.The accommodation is slighty dated especially the bathrooms but everywhere was very clean.They have quite youthful staff but without exception all very cheerful and well trained. We dined in the restaurant Saturday evening and the food was well served and excellent quality - the steak was the most flavoursome I had eaten in a long time. Unfortunately Sunday evening dining experience was completly different due to problems in the kitchen.The food was still very good.A very generous allowance was offered and accepted to compensate for poor service. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Swan and hope to return to enjoy more walking in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,197 reviews

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!