“Very hardworking team, great location”

The Swan at Streatley
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We visited The Swan on Friday 10th May (Room 20) and was a bit apprehensive after reading so many negative reviews. All I can say I was most pleasantly surprised. Yes there is work going on and the hotel is undergoing refurbishment, the new owners could have closed down for a few months while the work is going on but I'm glad they are doing it this way as they have a cracking team working together to provide guests with a pleasant stay while the work is ongoing. Special thanks to Leah in the restaurant , a charming and enthusiastic waitress and also to Joe , a young man on the maintenance team, both a credit to the hotel. I suppose the biggest compliment we could pay would be to say we will be returning.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Swan at Streatley

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Revisited as was on business. Money has been spent on revamping the bar and restaurant areas and is in progress in others areas of the hotel. It is clear that the new owners are making a huge effort, but there is a long way to go.
I arrived on a busy long weekend and the bar and food areas were packed with families enjoying the river views and the food (new chef also competent) it was a shame just to sit and observe the poor new owners losing money as fast as they were making it with groups of people just walking out as staff could just not cope with serving and payments. There was no sign of a competent management or even a leader of the front of house pack. Instead there were a group of teens wandering aimlessly trying to help. There was a manager with a big jacket who did not seem to have any control and a woman from Spain or Portugal who was just rude to almost everyone, wait! when trying to pay your bill for your family of 6 meals and drinks is not really something to say when they have been waiting for 3/4 of an hour....walked out without paying.
Rooms have not been addressed yet and are still old, smelly (riverside sewerage system) and missing the most basic items such as a room safe.
The new top bar needs a bar person (over 18) who can run a bar, pour a pint and knows how to work a cash register without asking what some of the most basic drinks are....
Hope it gets better as could be a gold mine given the location. Would change the name though once they have a grip...The White Swan or something.

Room Tip: Stay across the bridge until rooms renovated
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RedandRussian
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I can only review the non-resident lunch experience but this is obviously an establishment in the process of a major refurbishment in a wonderful location and certainly somewhere we will return to.

So, The Swan still has building work on-going. We had a friendly professional welcome, lovely tables inside and out overlooking the river - too cold & wet to eat al fresco but tables with glorious views.

Attentive service, a little too eager to clear plates before everyone had finished perhaps (but due to inexperience rather than trying to rush us I think..) faultless food from an interesting menu. Good choice of small / large size for several of the mains/light bites and children's portions from the main menu too. Good coffee - always a test of an establishment in my book!

We do not live in this area but I would return just to try this again when the work is completed and the weather improves !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Having spent nine days in the Swan at Streatley on business, I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. I have been here before and to be honest it wasn't really up to much but since it's been taken over and revamped things have improved 100%.

The rooms are clean and spacious, possibly a bit tired but I believe they are starting work on them soon. The location is glorious, overlooking the river. The weather was warm for most of my stay so was able to sit outside, have a drink and enjoy the swans/ducks swimming up and down the river right along the hotel on the lovely veranda area which is the length of the hotel.

The staff were pleasant and really did make a huge effort to be as accommodating as possible. A big thank you to Eduardo and Katie who couldn't have been nicer. The food was totally amazing and top class! The scallops and black pudding starter is to die for. Fresh ingredients and a nice selection to choose from. The menu did change a couple of times and when I was leaving a totally new style of menu had been created. You can really see the positive changes being made to the place just by the food.

With regard to the bar, do not be in a hurry to get a drink. I don't know whether it was the fact that the bar staff were inexperienced or that the electronic till (I swear they pressed 20 buttons just to tot up a pint of beer, the mind boggles) was holding them up or what but patience is a virtue. I didn't mind so much as I was only chillaxing and in no rush but they could do with pulling the finger out when the bar gets busy.

All in all I loved it and has come on in leaps and bounds since my last visit. Well done the Swan Hotel, I'll be back. Thanks for a wonderful relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river or you will end up with a car park view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bercar
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Swan has a wonderful setting and great facilities but the service needs some work. We understand that the bar and restaurant have recently been refurbished and that work is planned for the rest of the hotel. I wish they would spend some money on training and up-skilling their staff, many of them seemed inexperienced. The service in the restaurant was extremely slow - we weren't sure if this was the fault of the restaurant staff or the kitchen though, but the staff in both the bar and the restaurant just seemed lacking in knowledge about good customer service and professionalism and we really don't like restaurant staff dressed in jeans. We ordered tea and scones in the afternoon and this came without any plates or cutlery, the staff seemed bemused when I asked for some.

Having said this we would certainly stay here again, the leisure facilities were excellent - we used the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. We could not fault the bedroom facilities - ok we had a room overlooking the car park, but we had only booked the previous day and were not disturbed by any traffic noise or put off by the lack of view - the bed was comfortable and ticking a box for me was that bath sheets are provided as standard - brilliant!

If they could just sort out the service then this would be a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river - you will probably have to pay extra.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We are in fact not staying at the swan, and I have to say I'm glad. After the appalling dining experience I feel spending the night would have been the rotten cherry on top of the cake.
We had read reviews and hoped that they were exaggerations, so we happily wandered to the swan for a scenic dinner looking out over the river. That is something that cannot be faulted. The location, and newly refurbished bar, were spectacular. However that was soon over shadowed by the neglectful service. After waiting 20 minutes for two drinks we took a seat out by the river. After being ignored by the young waitresses and waiter my other half gave up and went in search of a menu. We each chose delicious looking options- my partner opted for a home made burger and I chose the mussels. I cannot fault the burger because they didn't have any, so my other half (who is a picky eater) settled for a small bowl of chips and a small portion of potato dauphinois. He had ordered me a large portion of mussels which I was grateful for as I was quite hungry. However when they arrived half of them were stone cold. Choosing to just go for the warmer ones in the middle, I managed to get a decent sized portion. The ones I did manage to eat we're delicious- the sauce was wonderful and the bread was fresh and tasted lovely. However, at £15 a portion I felt a little cheated. Especially as I found a white and ill looking mussel hidden in amongst the warmer ones on the plate. It was such a shame, as we were really looking forward to our dinner and experiencing the new bar. Now I am stuck in a room feeling overwhelmingly disappointed and nauseous.
To top things off, when my other half was stood at the bar waiting for drinks, chatting to one of the extremely friendly bar staff, he was shouted at and pointed at by a dark haired woman standing behind the bar. Not the sort of treatment we had expected as paying customers.
As I have said, it was a real shame. The location is incredible, the new bar looks elegant yet casual, and the staff are clearly all trying their hardest. We hope that they can sort out the smaller issues because there is so much potential for this to be an exceptional hotel. It's just a shame that the poor food has ruined our bank holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed here recently with husband and large group. Out room was lovely with a great view of the river and overlooked the terrace. Our food was good considering they were serving a large group in one sitting. Breakfast could be a bit hit and miss with cereal bowls in short supply! But the staff were only too willing to satisfy our many and various gastronomique requirements i e. porridge and toast done to our exact degree of brown! My husband left a jacket in the wardrobe and this was promptly despatched to him. Florentina and Edwardo particularly made our stay pleasant and went the extra mile to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We will be returning. The hotel is being refurbiished and will no doubt be even better.

Room Tip: ours was on the riverview
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sheilalacon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#2 of 4 in Pangbourne
French Horn Hotel
French Horn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!