The transformation of the Swan Hotel in Streatley has been tasteful, exciting and mind bogglingly fast! So many beautiful and practical changes, especially to the bar and restaurant.
But today I am reviewing the new BOATHOUSE deli/cafe, which opened today.
It is a sensitive but stylish re-development of the musty bedrooms that used to face the river. This whole area is now a barn sized, trendy deli and cafe, with vaulted ceilings, heaving shelves of delicious looking goodies and all enhanced by clever decor, such as fresh, fragrance flowers on the tables and interesting posters (depicting photos and stories of the old Boatyard).
It also makes excellent use of the old french windows, by having little tables near the narrow balconies, that over look the river and get full morning sunshine!
This morning it was very quiet, with about 3 staff to every customer, but all working hard to get the place shipshape.
Sadly there wasn't any of the anticipated, fresh, local, artisan bread. Just a few cakes and no real food or fresh deli produce. But give it a few days and I bet the place will be packed.
The new Manager had interesting ideas for tasty lunches and even a pizza evening - now THAT's progress!!
This morning it all looked a bit under-ready, ie there wasn't any cooked food available or fresh produce to buy (bread, meats, salads, fruit/veg). But I expect that will be resolved quickly.
It will look a lot better once the patio (on the non-river side) has chairs and tables and fresh produce laid out, to tempt passing trade, including walkers, smokers and those with dogs.
My only disappointment was that my £2.10 mug of tea was only filled 3/4 full (I don't drink that much milk!) and I would have preferred the option of a pot.
So HEAPS of promise here and I will be back.
I recommend you check it out, whether local or just visiting, as a really different alternative to the other eateries in the area ;)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swan at Streatley is set on the banks of the Thames in the picturesque Berkshire village of Streatley and enjoys wonderful views of the river. The Swan has 21 newly renovated bedrooms, as well as a new bar & terrace and a fully equipped gym and spa. The restaurant is currently closed as The Swan undergoes a multi-million pound investment to redesign of the restaurant, meeting & events spaces. Accommodation is available on a room only basis in the beautifully designed and stylish rooms and guests can purchase coffee, pastries, light refreshments and drinks onsite at the bar & terrace and have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the local restaurants a short walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your The Swan at Streatley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swan At Streatley Hotel Streatley On Thames
- Swan At Streatley On Thames
- Swan Streatley Hotel
- The Swan At Streatley Streatley-On-Thames, Berkshire