“excellent, exceed our expectation. will return”

The Swan at Streatley
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We plan to organise another weekend away centered around this hotel we enjoyed our stay so much. 6 of us spent the weekend walking the Ridgeway with the Saturday night stop at the swan having booked rooms at different times. The excellent staff put us in three adjacent room with french doors opening on to, effectively, a private courtyard where we sat together for drinks before heading off to the spar to restore our weary legs and feet. We had gone half board and with excellent menus suggestions from Kate, we had a superb meal. We are now looking for another weekend walking and plan to make this hotel our Saturday stop we were that impressed. Great hotel with great staff which proved perfect for our weekend and fantastic value for money.,

Room Tip: Great value half board.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Swan at Streatley

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We took my parents to the swan on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal as we used to go on the Thames a lot when we were younger. We booked river view rooms, you walked out onto your balcony and the view was fantastic, directly overlooking the Thames and goring lock. We had an excellent time, okay the rooms need updating but they were comfortable and very clean. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and explained they were going through renovation at the moment and I think they're doing an excellent job under the circumstances. Dinner was lovely and we had 3 courses which we could pick off the main menu with no supplements whatever you chose which is very unusual. The hotel does need updating but its obvious they are working towards this and I would definitely recommend this hotel but would suggest booking a river view room to gain the full benefit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Firstly it is set in such a beautiful location. We arrived by boat as we were on our way to Oxford and through friend's recommendation stayed upstream and downstream. Parking certainly wasn't a problem for us as they have moorings right outside.
The hotel is undergoing a complete makeover and so far you can see the public areas of the hotel have the benefit. The room we stayed in both ways was 15, great size all round with a balcony overlooking the Thames. Yes, dated and in need of modernisation, but with hindsight it will be impressive.
Evening meal was a good standard and choices for all diets.
Breakfast didn't have a great buffet but we were warned by James, the hotel manager, it wasn't the best and it will be changing.
Can't fault any of James and his attentive team. We were even allowed to take pictures from the roof of their old boat of our old boat!!
Having read some of the previous comments, whilst I can understand some, think they were a little harsh and lack vision. It certainly won't put us off going again and look forward to seeing their progress.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were at The Swan for a wedding reception, and the location is lovely. After reading some of the reviews we weren't expecting much of the accommodation or food but it wasn't too bad. Our room was very spacious and reasonably clean, if rather dated, However the mattress was a bit soft and bouncy and the pillows were a joke. The chairs in the room looked like they were out of an old peoples home and someone had died sat on them.
Rather than being on the river side we had views of the 'countryside' which translates as 'the car park'. However we did have a balcony which was nice.
The food and wine for the reception was all very nice and the service was prompt and well drilled,
The reception disco went on until about 12 which kept my partner awake after she retired early due to being pregnant. Not much in the way of soundproofing.
Breakfast was nice with seemingly good quality ingredients although the service was a tad awkward and the big metal lids were left on the hot buffet which meant that you needed three hands to serve yourself.
It looks like there is a lot of work going on and the downstairs eating areas are looking nicely refurbished.

Overall there are positives and negatives and I think to be a truly outstanding place they just need to improve the little things. The windows were filthy and some areas were a bit unkempt and grubby and the toilets pretty gross. Some of the glassware and crockery was also poorly washed.
They're not a million miles away but still room for improvement.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to posting your review of The Swan on TripAdvisor.

I have passed your comments on to my team and we are all delighted you have enjoyed the food and service at the wedding breakfast you attended. I have noted your comments about the noise from the music and décor of your bedroom. I am please to inform you that we have already noted this for our upcoming bedroom refurbishment programme. We were also pleased that you liked our newly refurbished bar and restaurant.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know.

Kindest regards,

James Lane

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This could be a really nice hotel but they have to get the basics right first.

The good things:

Lovely location
Friendly staff
Good parking
Very clean

The bad things:
Far too hot to sleep at night (no air con)
Noisy outside with window open at night preventing sleep
Restaurant menu unimaginative and expensive
Bar has a very limited range of beer and cider etc
Breakfast (full English) was too small and they had tried to make it posh by putting beans (tasteless) in ramekin. Continental was very poor with little choice.
Decorations particularly outside of building in serious need of repair
WiFi had excellent reception even in room but the connectivity was intermittent making it useless.

I will not come back, there is plenty of choice in the area.

Room Tip: Pay extra to be river side and keep away from noise at night in car park ( and cow mooing in field...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Swan on TripAdvisor.

I have recently joined The Swan as General Manager and I am currently reviewing all accepts of the hotel operations to make the necessary improvements to both the service and menus we provide to our guests. I will be personally following up your comments with both our Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef to ensure we improve going forward.

I was sorry to read that you had some issues with our internet during your stay and I have passed this to my IT Manager to investigate further and solve the issue in order to prevent a reoccurrence.

I am sorry that you are not planning to return as a result of your experience, however if that should ever change, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally make your arrangements.

Yours sincerly,

James Lane

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Popped in for a quick glass of wine and some bread & olives. Wine glass was dirty. Had to remind staff about the olives. As soon as olives finished the plate was whipped away and we were asked if we wanted anything else, we thought the waiter was half wishing we'd vacate the table.

A manager type was milling around and when we left he was eating his meal at the bar.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Not sure were to start..... the reception staff were probably the only positive thing about this hotel. Although I did take two attempts to get in my room as the key card wouldn't work. Well my room (number 9)was awful, so awful that i asked the reception staff to find me another, otherwise I was leaving. So what was wrong, well having paid £76.00 I didnt expect to get a tiny single room overlooking a flat roof and a tower of air conditioning units. The noise was awful. So, I didn't even unpack. After much debate I was allocated a room on the ground floor. This was probably three times as big and much nicer as it overlooked the gardens and had a patio area. I tried to have a shower but couldn't get any hot water, so I had to have a bath instead. Having had a long drive, I thought I'd treat myself to a glass of wine in the bar, I was horrified to discover my large glass of white was £10.50. Having reviewed the menu I decided not to bother eating at the hotel, the menu was very limited and expensive. A member of staff helpfully told me about a local takeaway, I had a good meal at less than a third of the price. My £76.00 room rate didn't include breakfast, so I didn't bother, so I can't comment on the quality or value for money. Sadly I'd booked in here for two nights, so I had a repeat experience on night two, although I visited one of the local pubs and paid £5.40 for my wine and a tenner for my supper. Time for the 'swan' to wake up and stop ripping people off. I guess they totally rely on the location i.e right next to the very scenic Thames. I'll be back.................. not so likely !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#2 of 4 in Pangbourne
French Horn Hotel
French Horn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!