“unreliable catering in a super location”

The Swan at Streatley
Reviewed 24 September 2013

A party of 50, so treat this review with caution. First night's (limited choice) meal was disgraceful, with bread & butter served after starters, a (pleasant) beef bourgingon served without any carbohydrate, and a dessert consisting essentially of a glassful of tasteless cream. Second night was better organised, but the minestrone soup was tasteless and without the advertised croutons, and the salmon was overcooked. Third day we had lunch, just 7 of us, and it was a superb meal in every respect, beautifully presented and delicious - full marks! So was it a question of numbers, or a different chef? Now the accommodation, and bear in mind that it was late September. Even with the balcony doors wide open, we were much too hot. Was it a winter duvet? Was the central heating on? Anyway, it wasn't a pleasant sleeping experience.

Room Tip: There a few rooms with a large balcony (flat roof) facing the river - a treat when the weather is ri...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
James L, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you for posting your review of The Swan at Streatley.

I was sorry to read that you didn't enjoy the menu selection on you fist evening for you group. I can assure you that this menu was not selected by the hotel and we served the food requested by your group.

I have noted your comments about your soup and Salmon on the second night and this has been passed on to our Head Chef to investigate further with his team. I was please that you felt the organisation was better, as this was down to received menu selections from your group at an earlier point in the day.

I was delighted to read that your final meal at the hotel was superb and that we have received full marks for that Sunday lunch service.

While we experienced a warm spell during your stay, I was sorry to read that your room was too hot. All our guest rooms do come with individually controlled heating and I can only assume that this may have been on. If any of my team had been made aware of this at the time, we could have pointed out the controls in your room and adjusted it accordingly.

I do hope we have the please of welcoming you back to The Swan in the near future.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Only popped in for a lunchtime stop and had a drink and something to eat at a table overlooking the river, as it was a lovely sunny day. Service was fine and efficient and the food was fine and good value. Spotted that the was also a hotel element o the place as people seemed to be staying over and some rooms with verandas were above the outdoor seating areas and gave a good view of the river. We liked it and would pop in again if we we ever visiting the area again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of The Swan at Streatley.

I have passed you comment on to our team and we are all delighted that you enjoyed both the food and our location on the Thames.

We very much look forward to welcoming back to Streatley in the near future. In the meantime, if we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here with friends for 70th birthday celebration. Lovely place in a great location. Lou, the events manager, was wonderful and extremely helpful. Thank you all for making it an enjoyable and memorable weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank jchanides
James L, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Thank you for your very kind and very positive review of The Swan at Streatley.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the 70th birthday celebration and I have passed your comments on to Lou.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. In the meantime if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The service is appalling....

We came in sat at a table for 10 minutes without anyone coming to take our order or speak to us. I went in, asked if we should order at the table or at the bar, was told "either", so I told them I would order at the table... I helped myself to 2 x menus on the way back to the table to try and speed things up a bit - so we would be ready.

Another 10 minutes later some came to take our order - we ordered drinks and food... Shortly after this we moved tables - so a larger party could take ours - I went in and told the person who took our order that we had moved, the manager behind the bar also acknowledged this.

Another 15 minutes passed - nothing, still no drinks (we only ordered 2 x diet cokes!). So my partner went in and asked where our drinks were, to see them sitting on the bar (they had been there sometime as the ice was melted quite a bit....)

30 minutes later - still no food. My partner went back the bar again - to be told by the manager there was a mix up due to us moving tables !!! But he would sort it out.

Another 10 minutes passed, then our measly portions arrived.

I ordered the roast pork - I only got one slice of pork !!! Which was about the size a post-it-note pad ! No crackling either, one small bowl of veg between us (which included a single stick of asparagus each, a few carrots and roast turnips, and a few sugar snaps) and 3 very small roast spuds.. The Yorkshire pudding was cold, the pork was very fatty.

My partner ordered the roast Chicken, which was rather tasteless chicken breast wrapped in parma ham - but she did have gravy (I didn't).

We paid at the bar on the way out, the manager asked if we were happy - if it was worth the wait etc. - of course we said no. (maybe he was being sarcastic ?? - clearly he knew it was rubbish, the service was rubbish). Yet he still didn't offer take anything off the bill - a last chance to redeem themselves (a little) wasted.

I was hungry when I got there, it then took ages for our measly portions to arrive - and left the place starving ! less £35 quid. It was real disappointment - we wont be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank keefratty

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Swan at Streatley.

I was sorry to read your comments about both the service and food you experienced. I would very much like to discuss this further with you and as such, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 01491 878800.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you as the new General Manager at The Swan, we are working very hard to improve both the service and menus we offer our guests.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I’ve stayed at The Swan many times over the past 30 years, so although I have no connection with it as a business, I do feel an affection for it. It has recently changed hands, and I stayed twice earlier in the summer, with my wife; the first time wasn’t great, the second time was an improvement, but I didn’t review it then as it was very clearly still in a state of flux. It would have felt unfair to slate it.

I went back at the end of August with a friend for a fishing trip on the river. I booked two single rooms, but we were upgraded to a pair of doubles. These were roomy, fresh and clean, and although they overlooked the car park there seemed to be no problems with noise.

As far as the rest of the hotel is concerned, the place is clearly settling down under the new owners, as there has been a dramatic improvement from the way it was just a few months back: there are now adequate numbers of staff, who are very friendly & helpful and know what they are doing; there now seems to be plenty of furniture in the bar & restaurant areas (there weren’t enough chairs & tables to cover both at the same time, earlier in the year); there were workmen busy smartening up the rooms and the public areas.
Most noticeably, breakfast – which was an all-round disaster on our first visit this year, and adequate on the second – was excellent: good food, nicely presented and with prompt and friendly service.

There are also signs that the new owners are trying to make the most of the location – there are boats for hire, and a wing has been converted into the Boat House Café, which is handy for informal daytime snacks (it’s not ridiculously expensive, and the staff, again, are very pleasant to deal with).

All in all, The Swan seems to be well on the way (there is still work in progress) to fulfilling the potential of its glorious location. I just hope that its prices, currently-reasonable, don’t head for the stratosphere when it’s all complete.

Room Tip: One minor point is that one of the staircases to the first floor has been removed, presumably to imp...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank E-EMCEE2

Thank you for taking the time to write you in-depth review of The Swan at Streatley.

I was delighted you have noticed all the changes taking place at The Swan in recent months. Your comments have been passed on to the team and on their behalf, thank you!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near further. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Went for lunch. The view was lovely, but unfortunately the food was very disappointing - limited menu, poor quality and small portions. We ordered 2 portions of pork and applesauce with crackling. The pork arrived with no crackling, but instead it was served with a yorkshire pudding and a tiny spoonful of applesauce. The portions were small, ridiculous at £15. Two slices of pork, a small yorkshire pudding and a spoonful of applesauce - it seemed as if the kitchen had run out of the pork dish, but was trying to eke out a few last portions. The salmon was edible, but nothing special. The food was pricey for the quality and the portion size. From memory, from the limited selection of starters - nearly everything was at least £10. Although, the food was came relatively quickly, the service for the most part was pretty poor - unfriendly at best. We decided not to stay for dessert on the basis of the quality of the main courses. I would not return or recommend this, as there are a number of better places to eat in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mid-Kate
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Dropped in for a sandwich, Peroni and diet coke. The ham was off so re chose BLT Ciabatta which was on the small size but perfectly edible and a Prawn Rose Marie brown bloomer sandwich which was excellent and plentiful. Lovely location as we sat on the river until the sun and wasps dissapeared.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#2 of 4 in Pangbourne
French Horn Hotel
French Horn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!