“Tales of the riverbank”

The Swan at Streatley
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Tales of the riverbank”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

You can't get much closer to the river, gorgeous setting, so romantic, big hotel with lots of winding corridors. Rooms were adequate. Again very warm and welcoming. Lots of history here, with various owners. Lovely glass restaurant, food was a bit of a let down for the price, and a very noisy dining room. There was a party going on, but wooden floors and no curtains do not help with the acoustics. Great watching a boat tie up and come in for the night. Although they did do a deal on bed breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony room to look out over the river at night...excellent.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eggybreadUk
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read that your experience with us was such a positive one. The team and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.
Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Bountiful, Utah
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I loved our stay at the Swan at Streatley. The area was gorgeous and the dining area had a magnificent view of the river. The hotel staff were also exceptional. The only reason I give this only three stars is the price and the strange layout of the room. Out of the entire trip (we stayed in several areas around the UK) this was the most expensive hotel by far. The room was very large and clean but the ambiance was ruined by a large flat panel TV on a giant awkward stand sitting in the middle of the room with wires and cables dangling all over. Like stated previously the dining area and surrounding riverside was gorgeous but not really worth double the price in my book.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review following your stay here. I am pleased to note that your stay with us was enjoyable. Your constructive feedback will be taken on board and I have shared the points you have raised with my team. We do hope to welcome you back sometime when you return to the UK
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Last weekend we held a family tea party celebration at The Swan for my son's 2nd birthday. This had been planned for months and I had changed numbers and arrangments several times but Lou Rollason the Events Co-ordinator could not have been more helpful or patient.

We visited a little while before the party to try out the afternoon tea and view the room we had booked and received outstanding service from everyone concerned. The afternoon tea was delicious too!

On the day of the party everything was in place ready for us when we arrived and we were yet again not disappointed by the quality of the food or the service we received. My little boy and my family had a brilliant time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Swan or use them again for events or celebration in the future!

MASSIVE thank you to everyone involved!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirsty D
Dear Guest,
Wow! Thank you for such a glowing review following your stay here at The Swan Hotel. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the service from the team, facilities, food and value for money. We really appreciate such a helpful review.
I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Swan a couple of times and am pleased with the service received. The gym and spa are great.
I agree that the hotel would do well with some refurbishment, however the rooms are reasonably clean.
The food does let you down as it is over priced for its quality.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Lucy P, MD at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you Thaisl for taking the time to review our hotel. I am not sure when you last visited us but we have done a lot of work with the ongoing refurbishment program of the hotel since we bought it in January. We started with the bar and restaurant including a new entrance and have this week started with the bedrooms, new bathrooms, bed, furniture, everything! We have also got an excellent new kitchen team with new menu this week and the launch of our bar menu next week, I hope that you will find these competitively priced and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit so that you can see the changes for yourself. kind regards Lucy
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Really lovely, couldn't do enough to help, decorated the table, brought in the cake and flowers at just the right moment and the Food was fab. WELL DONE..... will be back.... and thank you to the staff.... they were so good.......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Lucy P, MD at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I will pass on a huge congratulations to my team on your behalf. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. kind regards Lucy Potter MD
Vinca, France
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I don't know where to start. If you look at my reviews you will see I like to support our hoteliers and give mostly good reviews. Look at the first picture of a chair and ask if that would be acceptable in your room that you were paying £110.00 w/o breakfast for. ( supposedly reduced from £500.00/ night, yea pull the other one). The hotel is set in a beautiful area, right next to the Thames. In fairness the restaurant, reception and and public areas have been refurbished, but please don't expect me pay for a room like that. £50.00 would have been a fair price!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deneuk12

Travellers are raving about these Streatley-on-Thames hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

should be in a double room for single occupancy but have a single bed. above the kitchen so all i can see is a big metal box to do with extractor despite booking saying overlooks the countryside. asked for beans with my breakfast this morning to be told they don't do them! they then brought my plate out with beans on? Asked for a sandwich tonight for room service to be told they don't do them at night but i could have the restaurant menu, if i'd wanted that i'd have gone to the restaurant. wonder what the rest of the week will bring? I will not be coming back.

Room Tip: get one overlooking the car park
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank railman70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#2 of 18 in Windsor
French Horn Hotel
French Horn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!