After a pleasant early lunch on a beautiful sunny day in a nearby village, we pottered around Streatley, and while my husband took photos around the river area I made my way to the terrace. It's a lovely setting, and it was good to sit by the sparkling river in sunshine while I rested my feet and read my newspaper. I sat for about 20 minutes without serving staff coming to clear the table or take my order. When my husband joined us, that continued to be the case for about another 15 minutes or more.
Eventually I stopped a passing waiter, who had just delivered drinks to a table beyond us and didn't appear to notice that people were waiting for service or that tables needed clearing - we were sitting just outside the door into the hotel, so in a very prominent place. He took our order and explained that as there was a water contamination problem around the area, only Nescafé was available for my husband as they were having to use mineral water. That was fine and of course understandable, and I ordered a glass of white wine. 20 minutes later we were still waiting for our order.
That was when we left. There didn't seem to be any point taking more of our time to find a member of management to complain to. I had had a pleasant time sitting reading in the sun for almost an hour in a pleasant spot, but we had gone there for refreshment which we didn't get - so the hotel totally failed us. It was quite a busy afternoon, but several staff seemed to be around. By the time we arrived at a teashop just across the bridge, it was too late for refreshments as they had shut, so we had to wait until we arrived home. Having earlier had an excellent lunch served by well-trained staff at a good pub not far from the Swan, the contrast was even greater. We won't be returning to the Swan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swan at Streatley is set on the banks of the Thames in the picturesque Berkshire village of Streatley and enjoys wonderful views of the river. The Swan has 21 newly renovated bedrooms, as well as a new bar & terrace and a fully equipped gym and spa. The restaurant is currently closed as The Swan undergoes a multi-million pound investment to redesign of the restaurant, meeting & events spaces. Accommodation is available on a room only basis in the beautifully designed and stylish rooms and guests can purchase coffee, pastries, light refreshments and drinks onsite at the bar & terrace and have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the local restaurants a short walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Swan at Streatley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swan At Streatley Hotel Streatley On Thames
- Swan At Streatley On Thames
- Swan Streatley Hotel
- The Swan At Streatley Streatley-On-Thames, Berkshire