“Service? Not on the riverside terrace at the Swan”

The Swan at Streatley
Languedoc-Roussillon, France
“Service? Not on the riverside terrace at the Swan”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

After a pleasant early lunch on a beautiful sunny day in a nearby village, we pottered around Streatley, and while my husband took photos around the river area I made my way to the terrace. It's a lovely setting, and it was good to sit by the sparkling river in sunshine while I rested my feet and read my newspaper. I sat for about 20 minutes without serving staff coming to clear the table or take my order. When my husband joined us, that continued to be the case for about another 15 minutes or more.

Eventually I stopped a passing waiter, who had just delivered drinks to a table beyond us and didn't appear to notice that people were waiting for service or that tables needed clearing - we were sitting just outside the door into the hotel, so in a very prominent place. He took our order and explained that as there was a water contamination problem around the area, only Nescafé was available for my husband as they were having to use mineral water. That was fine and of course understandable, and I ordered a glass of white wine. 20 minutes later we were still waiting for our order.

That was when we left. There didn't seem to be any point taking more of our time to find a member of management to complain to. I had had a pleasant time sitting reading in the sun for almost an hour in a pleasant spot, but we had gone there for refreshment which we didn't get - so the hotel totally failed us. It was quite a busy afternoon, but several staff seemed to be around. By the time we arrived at a teashop just across the bridge, it was too late for refreshments as they had shut, so we had to wait until we arrived home. Having earlier had an excellent lunch served by well-trained staff at a good pub not far from the Swan, the contrast was even greater. We won't be returning to the Swan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on here. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with the service you received. Please be assured that we are dealing with your comments and feedback and look to improve the areas you have highlighted to us. Please do contact me direct on 01491 878800 as I would value receiving more details on your experience.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
uk
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Arrived at the hotel to be told that we could be upgraded to a balcony room. It was great - right overlooking the thames with a balcony wehere you could sit outside. The rooms are a bit tired but are very comfortable and had everything we need. The staff were very attentive and made sure our stay was a good one. We took the dog and they werre very welcoming. The food is ok too. Will return

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read your positive comments and I have shared this feedback with the team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Incidentally works commence at the end of the month on the first phase of our exciting bedroom refurbishment

Marston Moretaine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed here over the Easter weekend and was not fully satisfied by my visit. Dinner was served in the pub area of the restaurent which proved to be both cold and very noisy on the Saturday night due to a wedding crowd being in. On the Sunday i asked to be moved and although i pressed the issue it was not well reserved and i was made to feel like a nusiance. Breakfast on the Sunday was very frantic, with the plates being made available very small, food not being available and therefore having to wait for some of the food to be served. In terms of the rooms i found them very comfortable, although the plumbing was very noisy, and the first night was very stuffy in the room. I would recommend the Swan to stay though as it had a great location for exploring the wider countryside

Room Tip: Ensure you eat in the quieter part of the hotel rather than the bar area
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review and providing some feedback on your experience. First and foremost I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in full. A 3 star review is not what my team and I strive to achieve here. Please be assured that your constructive feedback will be taken on board and discussed with my management team
I do hope you will give us another chance when you next visit the area.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

had a wonderful stay, Lewis and the team were outstanding, food and room were all perfect and the service was the best we have had in ages, breakfast was great! will return again very soon and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear teamjacob14,

What a fantastic review - thanks so much!! Lewis and the team really appreciate your kind words and we are all naturally delighted that you had such a good time.

All of here at the Swan look forward to seeing you again soon

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Our friends had eaten here recently and when we were deciding to meet up this was a nice change of venue to meet.

The food was on the whole excellent and the hotel/restaurant is situated in a lovely setting!

A few small issues but overall a nice lunch.

Our waiter didn't seem to fully understand the menu, we were given the menus and told there's a set meal here, sandwhiches and then other stuff on the back (the other stuff being the main menu!!)

We chose our food and when one ordered from the set menu I questioned it, as it states Monday to Friday, we were told we couldn't order from that so the order was changed.

The starters came and were lovely, when the mains came there was a problem with one, the burger which my friend has asked to be cooked extremely well done (as she is 8.5 months pregnant) and it unfortunately came out rare, when we questioned the staff there was a bit of a vacant look given but the burger was taken back and cooked further.

All in all a very nice lunch but a little bit of staff training wouldn't go a miss!!!

We will all be back...and hope to see an improvement in the service!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FCCandPJCC
Dear FCCandPJCC

Many thanks for your review of the Riverside Restaurant. I am pleased to see that generally your lunch was enjoyable. Your constructive feedback will be taken on board and discussed with my management team - we are passionate about providing engaging, friendly and professional hospitality.
I'm glad that you intend to return and trust that your next experience will be 5 star!

Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

we stayed one night, riverside view with four poster bed. its a large rabbit warren of a hotel. the room was in desperate need of a refurb. the sofa was grubby & threadbare, and the decor a bit dated with cracked tiles in the bathroom. But the bed was comfy and the room was clean and warm. Lovely location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant and the menu was reasonably priced and offered a good variety. Buffet breakfast was a good selection of full english and pastries, fruit and yoghurt.

Room Tip: some riverside rooms have balconies overlooking the river
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear noaparent,

Many thanks for your review. I'm very pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed the food and service. We are putting together the final stages of the planned bedroom refurbishment and hope to announce when these will commence shortly.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had our wedding here in March and the day was perfect. We had a brilliant day. All the staff were so helpful and ensured our day went without a hitch. The food was lovely and the grounds were perfect for our photos.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear jp123456789

I'm delighted that your wedding here at the Swan at Streatley went so well and your kind words are in this review are much appreciated.

Best wishes for the future as a married couple.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#2 of 17 in Windsor
French Horn Hotel
French Horn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!