“Memorable Wedding Day!”

The Swan at Streatley
Reading UK
“Memorable Wedding Day!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We are local and held our wedding at The Swan at the end of May. From the early planning phase to the day itself, I cannot fault the wedding coordinators and staff on the day. They made it a perfect day. We also held our after party the next evening and this was also well organised the food was excellent and they coped with our 170 guests very well.

While I do empathise with previous comments regarding the condition of the hotel, the new owners are currently undertaking a huge refurbishment programme. We stayed in the only refurbished room and the decor is very contemporary and the room very well appointed with a huge balcony, flat screen TV, Nespresso machine, power shower etc. When the remainder of the hotel is upgraded to this standard, it should certainly match the wow factor of the location.

The breakfast buffet on the Sunday was a bit of a disappointment, as the previous days we did have an excellent made to order breakfast, the Eggs Benedict being pronounced by more than one of our guests to be the best they had ever tasted!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear PennypieceReadingUK ,

I was delighted to read that your wedding with us went so well and that you and your guests enjoyed the special day. The team and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Swan in Streatley while attending a wedding in nearby North Stoke at the end of May 2014. From the outside, this hotel looked very promising. A truly beautiful location by the river Thames featuring a picturesque outside patio area set right on the river bank. You've probably seen the photos - they don't lie, this is peaceful English village life at its best. However, once you walk into reception, the truth of this operation becomes all too apparent. Tired, bland interior design becomes the order of the day and while reception staff seemed friendly enough, nothing could quite prepare for the disappointment of opening our room door and being faced with rooms so uncared for, with horrible old patterned carpet and grubby, crumbling furniture. It's ok, we told ourselves, we were here for a good friend's wedding and only needed the room as a place to lay our heads for the night. The bed was comfy enough actually, though after a long day we could have probably slept anywhere.

The biggest disappointment came the next morning, we were both a little hungover and were really hoping for a good cooked breakfast to set us up for the journey back to London. As we walked into the admittedly attractive breakfast room (the hotel bar area with the aforementioned river bank patio), I couldn't help but notice the rather unattractive food on other guests' tables, so it wasn't a surprise to discover that instead of cooked-to-order breakfasts, we were about to go to buffet hell. Some cheese and ham was laid out, as was a big bowl of oats, but these options were overlooked as I made my way to the hot food in the steel catering trays. We had to ask the staff for more bacon as there wasn't any left, and after waiting for ten minutes, a member of staff arrived with a tray of maybe ten slices of what looked like boiled bacon, swimming in water and grease. The remaining lonely sausages were similarly unattractive and while they were probably cooked through ok, their colour suggested otherwise. The scrambled eggs were overcooked, had obviously been sitting for quite some time, and were just wrong-looking. There was an option to toast you're own bread, which was decent enough but I fail to see how even The Swan could get this element wrong. To add to the experience, there was also a queue, and it was particularly weird to see older guests waiting in line like children at a summer camp, ready to load their small side plates with whatever options were left. Not a great way to start any day, but particularly unpleasant if you've paid to get away for a weekend.

The real kicker here is the fact that The Swan isn't a budget hotel, £110 for a one night stay is quite a lot of money and is certainly a price you expect a little more for. This is the first negative review I've posted on tripadvisor, I felt compelled to do so because we both found this hotel to be such a frustrating experience; it could be perfect with different management / ownership because the setting is stunning. It's like getting a master composer to write a beautiful song, then employing toddlers to record it with toy instruments. Such a shame.

3 Thank russNsam
Dear russNsam,

Thank you for your review following your visit here at The Swan Hotel. I was very disappointed to learn of the issues that you experienced in your room and at breakfast and that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Shortcomings such as these are not what the hotel team strives to achieve here. On busy weekend mornings taking breakfast between 8am & 9am does ensure a more relaxing experience. We now serve the hot dishes cooked to order and the refurbishment we have recently embarked on will improve the room facilities.
Please be assured that your constructive feedback has been taken on board and discussed with the management team for appropriate action.

Best wishes

Travellers are raving about these Streatley-on-Thames hotels

Tidmarsh, Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Today was just the perfect day to visit The Swan as we were able to sit outside in the sunshine and enjoy the river. We all opted for the set lunchtime menu - great value at £12.95 for 2 courses. Service was efficient and our starters were brought swiftly. Presentation of the food was excellent and the food tasty. Coffees were great too.
Really cant fault the location and the food - great value.
The hotel appears to be undergoing some refurbishment so the car parking spaces have been reduced but there was no disruption.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jenny H,

I was delighted to read that your experience with us was such a positive one. The team and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Steeple Claydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Overnight after the wedding and leisurely breakfast was the order for this stay. Room pleasent and comfortable, bathroom a little dated and needing some attention - shower controls have lost markings and tatty notices on the wall - do replace when they start looking tatty it sets the tone for the whole facility. However I understand all rooms are due for renovation over this year from a notice in the hotel. Very extensive gardens make for a pleasent walk by the river. Very good breakfast choice, efficently served together with a buffet with all the extras. Nice to look out over the river. No rush, busy, but no pressure to move on. Reception a bit slow - checking in and checking out, partly because the only receptionist was very thorough to ensure guests were properly served, but a queue quickly built up. A 2nd receptionist on standby would have cured this problem. Well worth a stay and a great centre for exploring the Thames, N Berkshire and S Oxfordshire and only a few miles from Oxford.

Room Tip: Go for river side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julian s
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay here at The Swan Hotel. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the service from the team. We really appreciate such a helpful review.
I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Came to eat at the restaurant and waited an age for our wine only to have it flung on our table without a second glance let alone a tasting. Food was average and the starters were stone cold. The bartender didn't know how to make a bloody Mary. When we left we were completely ignored and did not get a single goodbye or thank you. So, so, so disappointing. Will not be back here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Emily R
GaryTOckwell, General Manager at The Swan at Streatley, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Emily R

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the Riverside Restaurant and Bar. I am very sorry that we got it so wrong and that we disappointed you.

Should you choose to visit again please do get in touch with me personally and I will ensure that you will have much better experience.

Camberley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I thought I had drawn the short straw when it fell on me to drive my eldest to the Swan-at-Streatley for a public speaking examination arranged by his school. I had never heard of Streatley, never mind the Swan thereat, and the whole exercise would take up to 4 hours of my precious Sunday time! To make matters worse, somebody had removed the adapter from the satnav we keep in the car and I didn't find this out till it was just time to set out! To cut a long story short, I lost my way finally until I staggered unto the destination by accident. The first bit of good news was the location of the Swan, which was just lovely. My mood lifted immediately as I took in the the beautiful, tranquil waterside position of the hotel, with swans and other animals, peacefully wading up and down.

We parked the car, and quickly located the organisers of the examination whereupon, I handed my son over to his fate while I went to explore the hotel and wait the hour-or-so it would take for him to undergo his baptism of fire. Just in case anybody is wondering why I didn't stay with him for moral support, that was against the rules, as no doubt, the idea was to throw the participants in at the deep end with no familiar faces to lean on. I went in search of the restaurant, as I hadn't had lunch, with a view to grabbing something to eat at some leisure. I found the restaurant but realised other's had had a similar idea to mine, as it was buzzing. It quickly dawned on me how hungry I was and that I had to do something drastic else starve for lunch. On my way to the restaurant, I had passed one of the bars where I had noticed some folk having tea and cakes, elaborately presented and quite pleasing to the eye. I quickly doubled back to see if I might be able to assuage my hunger quicker via that route. Luckily, a barista took my order and within 10 minutes, I was tucking into some of the most wonderful, freshly made cakes, scones and breads that I have ever had. The tea was excellent, the staff friendly and above all, the setting was just exquisite! In no time at all, my son had finished his exam, and he joined me for some cakes which he said he "really" liked!

as a result of this positive experience, I resolved to bring the family to stay for the May bank holiday which was then just around the corner. Sadly, we were unable to obtain accommodation for my rather large family on that occasion so we are yet to get the full experience of a complete stay in the hotel. However, if you are looking for a really memorable encounter with tea and cakes, I believe there's a hidden gem at the Swan-at-Streatley.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ferdinand O

Wow, what a wonderful review – it’s really appreciated. All of us work hard to provide a great experience and it’s so rewarding when we learn we’ve got it right. The team appreciate your kind comments.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Firstly something positive: the location, just lovely, we had a room overlooking the river with a nice balcony. Sadly it was raining so that we did not have the opportunity to appreciate the setting.

Negatives… oh where to begin:
Lobby and room
1) Hotel lobby had roof tiles that were brown from the rain and slightly caved in.
2) hotel room, it was cold, we were informed the boiler had broken down, asked if there would be a heater but were simply offered to move room (rather tricky given we liked the room for the view)
3) internet did not work until we queried the password,
4) television did not work it said it could not connect, eventually with some manic button pressing the television decided to work.
5) the television was set on an outrageously ugly and rather dangerous television stand that took up the corner of the room and was in the way of getting out onto the balcony.
6) window in the room was rotting in places.
7) the bathroom: tired, mirror light did not work, radiator did not work bathroom taps etc. the stainless steel had worn away was dull and wobbly, the plug hole in bath was brown, worn away and rusty. the shower mixer was erratic and essentially did not mix it was either cold or burning hot.
8) thanks to our quiet neighbours.. the walls were rather thin.
9) carpet very tired
10) the curtain fabric was only nice thing!

And now to the food and service:
1) turned up for a cup of tea, lots of people floating around, but none seemed to want to serve us, and they all seemed a little tired and grumpy.
2) dinner, the starter was decent, the main was appalling. the duck breast was tough,it was meant to be a stir fry except the duck breast was not sliced, and difficult to cut in a very small bowl…. the noodles overcooked and the vegetables were simply chopped up seasonal veg, that was very undercooked. everything seemed to have been microwaved.
3) we got served by at least 4 staff throughout the course of the meal, once again they seemed a little disinterested. the best staff were interestingly eastern europeans who actually made an effort to be friendly, the "british staff" came across as young and inexperienced and rather false with an irritating loud voice.
4) the place had no atmosphere and was virtually empty, by 10pm

Breakfast:
1) Horrid breakfast, devastating for me as i love cooked breakfasts. the food had been sitting for ages, bacon was like cardboard, mushrooms were cold. The coffee was stewed and tasted vile. 2) Service once again very poor.
3) Please do not subject guests to an entire album of Anastasia over breakfast, it wasn't particularly relaxing and we got the impression that the music may be there more for the benefit of the staff than for the guests.

The state of the hotel in general
1) the corridor to the dining room was appalling, stained and marks and wallpaper torn all the way down, not a very good impression walking into the dining bar area.
2) there is NO clear marking on where to go for what e.g. for breakfast, for tea or for drinks.several times we walked in one direction only to be told to go to the other end.
3) the toilets were like stepping back into 80s school toilets- I was shocked and could scarcely believe it was part of the hotel.

I wanted to go for a massage, but i am rather glad I did not try it out.

Totally disappointing, made more so since we were there as a surprise evening away for my birthday. The company was the only thing that prevented us from having an utterly miserable time.

I don't mind hotels that are a bit worn, but bad food and service killed off any forgiving empathy i may have had.

We noted that there was going to be a major refurbishment of rooms, I hope this will extend to the overall state of the hotel as well.

In summary, cold room, shabby ill working fixtures and fittings, terrible service and thoroughly disappointing food.

Suggestions for improvement:
1) Your staff do not seem happy, and need better training in "Hospitality" including your supervisors.
2) Get rid of that terrible Quadriga television system, its outdated, just give us regular digital channels, you are not sophisticated enough to be offering in house services yet. and your tis might actually work then!
3) You are clearly serving formula dishes, and it shows in the lack of love and quality in the food. Its a fantastic location. Your establishment is seriously let down by the quality and approach to your restaurant food and perhaps have chefs who cooked with a bit more passion.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony overlooking river. - Go in good weather to keep your mind off the hotel, service...
3 Thank JThmsn
Dear JThmsn

Thank you for posting your feedback on here. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your experience. Please be assured that we are dealing with your comments and feedback and look to improve the areas you have highlighted to us.

I do hope you will give us the benefit of the doubt and return sometime in the future once the room refurbishments have been completed.

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,158 reviews

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!