“Lovely location, but proceed with caution...”

The Swan at Streatley
Falmouth, Cornwall
“Lovely location, but proceed with caution...”
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The location of the Swan is superb, there can't be many hotels in England with such a pleasant riverside (Thames) setting, overlooking the Goring lock. The food is excellent, and breakast was fine. If you are in the area I would certainly heartily recommend a visit for a coffee stop, you won't regret it.

However I would avoid staying here. To be frank the hotel is a bit of a disappointment. Every single part of the flooring in the rooms and corridors seems to creak. You feel as if you were an elephant walking around. As previous reviewers have noted the bathrooms are tired, the room lighting is inadequate, and though the hotel describes itself as having had a recent refurb all we could spot were new ceilings, everything else seems slightly jaded. As the preceding reviewer noted there is a problem with a nosiy pump in the roofspace which is quite loud and seems to go on all night, we had to move room at 1am in the morning. It was all handled very well by the staff (who are certainly a credit to the hotel) but it took the edge off our stay. We got the impression that the real money is made by conferences and weddings, and a simple tourist booking for a room probably just covers the cleaning staff etc.

It is a lovely spot however, and I would happily go back again for a drink, but not to stay.

Stayed December 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
essex
Reviewed 12 December 2008

The location, right on the river, is spectacular and we had a river-view room. It was a decent size & the bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was in need of a refurb & we were waken at spasmodic times by a noisy heating system - it turned out there was a problem on our floor because we had no hot water the following morning. By far, the best part of our stay was the food - we had booked a "special", B B & evening meal, & had half-expected to pay extra for a la carte, but the specials menu looked interesting - it was actually superb, as was the cooked breakfast the following morning. As my husband was attending a cookery class in a neighbouring village, we had booked the Swan for me to use the spa facilities the following day - personally, i was disappointed by the miniscule pool and the less than powerful jacuzzi, and during the three hours i spent on a lounger (wrapped in towels because it was quite chilly in there) i only saw 2 other people! Fortunately, i de-camped back to the dining room where i was given a warm welcome by the young german assistant manager who had served us the evening before. Mixed feelings about this place, but if they address the tired-looking areas in the rest of the hotel, the dining room is worth a re-visit

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — no hot water
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Stayed here for a week as part of a training course.

I found everything with the hotel very good.

Staff were helpful and friendly and the reception was quick and efficient.

Room was excellent with double bed, TV, sofa, iron and board, Coffee making etc. The bathroom did look a bit tired but it was clean and did not cause me any problems.

One little thing was the mattress. i am not sure if it is possible to have too soft a bed but I did develope a slight ache in my back which I know was because of the lack of support. I do weigh 18 stone so maybe that was also part of the problem.

My weight did go up during the week because tof the excellent food.

As part of the course I had buffet lunches and dinners but the quality was good. The breakfast was also buffet which was my downfall. I could have as much bacon and sausage as I liked.

Bar prices were steep but this is a hotel. If you want cheep beer go to a pub.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 17 October 2008

I stayed in a single room at The Swan, and while small, my entire experience was positive. The menu selection (while, I thought, a little dear) was excellent and the speed and the friendliness of the staff: exceptional. (The food tasted good too!).

Check-in was quick and without fuss (a joy to see I have to say) and upon reporting of a small problem, was handled amazingly well with the Housekeeping Manager giving me feedback personally.

The bathroom was a little cramped - with a sloping wall over the bath, making taking a shower difficult, but the fast flowing hot water was great (no slow-paced filling of the bath here). I was told that a bathroom refurbishment is on the books, so my next stay should be even better!

Staff attitude was excellent, with people making a point to say hello, and the views and surroundings, amazing.

All in all, a very positive experience, which I hope others will share and enjoy as much as I did!

• Liked — The friendliness and attitude of all the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
Reviewed 30 January 2008

On returning to our favourite haunt by the river, it was refreshing to see that the hotel has obviously taken note of people's comments regarding the décor - when we arrived we were greeted by decorators filling the reception area. A letter in our room explained that a major refurbishment was underway for the bedrooms and guest areas. My husband was a little concerned that this would spoil our stay, but I have to say the the attentiveness of all the staff and the food as usual, was divine. I loved the little touch of a chocolate on my pillow - and look forward to returning to the Swan At Streatley in a few months to see when all the refurbishment is done.

• Liked — Attentative of staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 4 November 2007

we attended a birthday party at this hotel
it was a real let down

reception - not enough staff - kept waiting for check in and check out - no acknowledgement.
reception area tatty messy and unprofessional looking - on view was the room behind reception showing cables for electrics and telephone wires etc.

room - dated and tired looking.
tiny tv with bad reception, not much choice of channels
view was lovely though out the room onto the river.
bathroom very old and tatty. no pop up waste in the sink, just a gapping hole!

food - bar food very limited menu - food nothing special.
service very slow,
breakfast - finishes at 10 am ON THE DOT on sunday morning - way too early.
all hot food was taken away at 10am on the dot - we arrived down at 9.55am. only able to get coffee and toast

overall a dissapointment, although the site of the hotel is lovely - on the river - great views.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Streatley-on-Thames hotels

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I spent two nights at this hotel as part of a group attending an offsite meeting. The location is great at a beautiful spot right on the river Thames. The staff were friendly and I would say the food was above average for this category of hotel.

The problem is the rooms which are several years overdue a major refurbishment. The bathroom in my room was in very poor shape, I would say not good enough to be in use for this category of hotel. I am attaching a photo of the bathroom that shows where a fitting has been removed (broken) and the tiles not replaced.

The room was spacious but looked over the car park.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Disappointing rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard_SW11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley-on-Thames
The Great House At Sonning
#1 of 1 in Stockcross
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor

Been to The Swan at Streatley? Share your experiences!