“never again”

Naked Fish (no Longer The Naked Fish!)
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a family run traditional fish and chip shop , we have been established in Bridlington for 36 years we , was originally on hilderthorpe road , but have moved now to 22 bridge street .
bridlington
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

As a local i have visited The Naked Fish before but never been happy with the taste of the fish .today i came into Bridlington just to do a small shop and passed the Naked Fish so decided to have a take away fish.I had a long wait as the fish was not put in the fryer when i ordered.Water and fat had leaked out of the box onto my car seat by the time i got home ,the taste of the fish(haddock) was bitter and either frozen or not fresh and the batter was just one soggy mess.The price on the board said £3.90 large haddock but the young boy charged me £4.20 saying the price on the board had not been changed.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Louise468

Sunningdale, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Oh dear. This was not good. The Naked Fish was recommended by a reputable, very good local B&B, but, frankly it was dreadful. We were the only diners at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon, so perhaps we had surprised them. We waited for quite a long time (we were the only customers) for our large cod and medium haddock. The waitress assured me this was fresh, not frozen, fish. But, it was full of water and, basically, a sloppy unappetising mess with absolutely no taste. The chips were rubbery! What went wrong? Did I imagine it?? The Trip Advisor revues for this restaurant are mostly excellent, so we must have caught them on a very bad day indeed. Sloppy, wet fish is usually a sign of it having been frozen just before entering the fat frier. Worst of all, my side salad tasted of fish, as though it had been prepared by someone who had just been handling raw fish!

Having eaten at fish restaurants around the world – and very many in all parts of the UK – I can honestly say this was one of the worst!

The two waitresses were quite sweet, so when asked if everything was OK I mumbled 'yes' – lying through my teeth to spare them pain. It's not their fault. But it must be somebody's!

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Chingachgook2
patrickBridlington, Manager at Naked Fish (no Longer The Naked Fish!), responded to this review, 1 August 2014
We too, are very disappointed that your meal did not reach the expectations you had.
Had you mentioned your disappointment to our waitresses, we would have been able to remedy the situation there and then. As it is, there is little we can do but assure you ALL our fish is fresh and never frozen. Sometimes fresh cod and haddock which can seem wetter than frozen and I expect that this was the case.
We serve many meals to very happy customers and just wish we could have been given the opportunity to remedy this situation without you having to resort to Trip Advisor,
Sheffield
“Super fish and chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was a return visit for me, taking my grandparents after a delicious meal last time! The fish and chips were superb and my Nan's plate of mussels was enormous! Waiting staff were really friendly and efficient and we all really enjoyed our meals!

1 Thank minicuttingblade
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Tried to visit but closed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Despite it saying the opening hours on Sunday were 11.30am until 6pm, we visited at about 2.30pm and it was closed.

A hand written note on the door said it would open at 4.30pm.

Shame as I was looking forward to trying it based on all the good reviews.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank matthew s
patrickBridlington, Manager at Naked Fish (no Longer The Naked Fish!), responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We are so sorry that we were closed when you visited us on Sunday and that you couldn't manage to try our food. Yes, we did close early on Sunday but re-opened at 4 pm for the evening. We are at present changing our opening hours on Sundays and for the rest of the season, we will be closing in the afternoons and opening for the evening as we do on other days.
Again, many ap0oogies and perhaps next time you decide to visit us, give us a ring first to make a reservation,
Best wishes,
Nottinghamshire
“Best Fish Restaurant in Bridlington”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

If you are looking for first class locally caught sea food, cooked and presented with the minimum of fuss, Naked Fish is the place to visit. I enjoyed an excellent Scallop starter followed by Skate simply pan fried whilst my wife enjoyed a traditional prawn cocktail and traditional fish and chips, all of which were excellent and very reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your kind review, it is much appreciated.
I'm glad you enjoyed our local skate, it is a firm favourite with our customers!
We hope to see you again soon,
Best wishes,