“Avoid at all costs- Qouted one price charged credit card more”

The South Cliffe Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridlington
The South Cliffe Hotel
Ranked #113 of 118 Bridlington B&B and Inns
“Avoid at all costs- Qouted one price charged credit card more”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I would have sooner stayed in faulty Towers, Me and my wife had a day trip to find a hotel for a weekend visit Friday to Monday, they didn't have any family rooms left but said they had there penthouse room we could have for cheaper if we wanted, They quoted us £150 this included a parking pass but to confirm/reserve the booking we had to pay £20 no problem so far. On the day of check in we arrived around 11:30 as i was judging a contest across the road from 12pm, it was agreed when we arrive they would give us a parking pass early to accommodate us. When we arrived they told us we have no parking permits until 2pm so was a hassle trying to find somewhere to park until then considering i needed to be at the spa at 12pm. We returned at 2pm only to find our room wasn't ready and was told to come back at 3pm so we did yet again no room ready but they had parking permits in but then wanted us to buy them on top of the agreed price charging us £2, We came back at 4:30 again to check-in in then they informed us it will be another 30 mins but we went through the check-in, they then informed us the credit card machine was down and it was been temperamental, not having all the cash on me i asked if they could try there machine, they did but they had the hands over the display didn't think anything of it just hoping it worked, the payment went through first time but when they gave me the receipt instead of £130 they charged me £190 when i complained and said it should be £130 left to pay they was very rude and refused to give me my money back and was told if i carry on they will evict me from the premises,we was told your still getting a bargain we normally charge more but the point is i agreed £150 not £210. it was Bank holiday weekend there was no where else to go so we stayed button lipped and tried to make something bad good. Firstly the door keys didn't work and was accused of damaging them so we ad to be in before the doors was locked. There so called penthouse room had no hot water but rather than complain we just boiled the kettle. We felt so threatened and was concerned if we complained we would have got kicked out. breakfast time was no better half the time there was a empty jug of orange juice , they ran out of cereal and on the last day they could only give my family of 4, 4 half slices of toast cause the ran out bread ??? Evening meals took upto a hour to come. We wasn't the only residents with problems especially at meal times. I am so relieved to be home now and i do intend to take this to Bridlington tourist board and speak to my credit card company. Honestly all my years on going on holiday i have never had to complain or made to feel this way. Needless to say i won't be returning to the south cliff

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Paul B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Really friendly young girl gave me keys for a room and helped me sort a parking permit out for street parking outside. Initially i was pleased with the room but on going back later the stench of the cooking fat in the kitchen totally stank the landing out and by the end of the nite my room was unbearable too. Its all good having home made food but this is not the aroma of a nice roast here its the stench of pure grease/fat really not nice at all. There was a hole in my pillow case and mould around the end of the bath. Staff in the bar were fab and made me feel welcome. The place really does need a good clean and im afraid i would not stop here again

Stayed May 2014

Travellers are raving about these Bridlington hotels

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Alright atmosphere,bar staff friendly,could do with a good clean bit smelly.women who must have been manageress/owner was very rude!was swarn at by her for having a laugh and being noisy with other customers in there!she has no idea what customer service is!
Would do her good to crack a smile for once and actually act like a landlady.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank sillybil
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed there this week and totally enjoyed my stay. I booked last week then came onto here and started to doubt if booking there was a good idea with all the bad reports. On arrival was met with a cheery young girl who gave me my room keys and told me I also had an evening meal upto £5 (if the cost came more than that you paod the extra). Once entering my room there was a clean room with all the things needed e.g bath, mirror, tv, ect, the bed was comfortable. The only thing it could have needed was a lil TLC but apart from that was a good room. The meals were fantastic and couldn't ask for anything else.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Simon G
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me. The whole hotel is filthy, and smells of grease. I dare say it hasn't had a deep clean for the best part of 20 years. I don't know why they don't close the hotel in off season and give it a thorough clean and refit. It's in a good location. That's about the only thing going for it!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RoadToad87
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We booked in for our annual dogging weekend in Bridlington and really don't know what the bad reviews are about! ! The delightful lady who runs the place is a dream to deal with. Very accommodating if you know what i mean!! She was most helpful when we realised we needed vaseline and because it was late even gave us a pot of her own. We had a ball in the bar with the locals, the only downside was the long walk up stairs as when my wife came up (some time after me) she looked very flustered and seemed a bit unsteady on her feet. Would definitely recommend this hotel to any broad minded couple looking for a place to play.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Cliveovclee
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Went to the mens toilet, worst toilets ever, the place stank as if it never gers cleaned,
1 toilet was full of ***** because the flush was broken, the other had a broken lock.
When i complained an old hag who must have been the manager told me i was seeing things and smelling things because she had just been in and the tiolets were ok.

The place is quite nice in the back family room, but the front bar is full of Bridlingtons alcholic population. Will never go back the place gone down hill fast.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family