“Lovely Night's Stay”
Review of Oakwell Hotel

Oakwell Hotel
Ranked #111 of 117 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My boyfriend and I looked at this hotel initially because of how close it is to The Spa (as we had event tickets), then were decided after seeing the hotel photos, and were more than comfortable during our stay. The welcome was very warm. The previous reviews are correct about the pets which I agree can be disconcerting if you're uncomfortable around dogs, but we personally had no issues with this. There was one pile of bedding in a corner which I wouldn't comment on if it weren't for the previous reviews - I wouldn't call this a problem in a budget B&B to be completely fair. The room was very comfortable with plenty of storage space and a lovely bed, and the en-suite bathroom was very neat and tidy. Would have loved to stay for breakfast as the dining area was set out beautifully but had to catch the coach home while it was served, so unfortunately cannot comment. The landlady very kindly told us if we had informed her we were leaving before breakfast, she would have cooked ours earlier! The only issue we had with this hotel was there were no toiletries other than handwash; we had not foreseen this and had nothing with us, so do pack a bar of soap!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S_Elizabeth_12

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed fri until Sunday. Room was great value and the breakfast was one of the best I have had since visiting Bridlington.If people who write nasty reviews had noticed there was work going on in the hotel.i spoke with the proprieties as I was a bit concerned I had booked a bad hotel,but as they said come see for yourself. Well worth a visit. Staff was great. Many thanks Martin Isle Of Wight.

Room Tip: Don't always judge a book by its cover
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank martin d
Reviewed 11 September 2012

everywhere needs a good clean, we only stayed for one night, our beroom was far from clean,and yes there is piles of dirty washing everywhere. they do a really good breakfast to be fair, but was put off by the filthy dinning room

we only stayed here for one night, that was enough, this hotel is filthy, our bedroom was far from clean, dont let the photographs fool you, and there was piles of dirty washing near our bedroom door. to be fair they did do a good breakfast, but was put off because of the dirty dinning room, my husband and i could not wait to get out.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jill S
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed for 1 night with our 2 children in the large family room. I have to agree with the other reviews regarding dirty washing, animals etc. and at first I was dreading staying there. However our room was fine and the lady proprietor was excellent, for an elderly lady she did a great job, never stopped working and was still up late pressing the clean laundry (which smelt lovely by the way). She was very friendly as was the lovely lady that assisted with breakfast the following morning. Breakfast was ample and there was plenty of choice, very nice.

If you look beyond the clutter you will discover a value for money budget B&B in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Helen, I wish we had seen your review before we went!!! Everything in Helen T's review is 100% accurate. Rude and unsociable proprietor, the dog , gerbills and fish were much more friendly if not inappropriate! We too had to dodge the piles of dirty washing and I couldn't take my eyes off the filthy clothes the proprietors mother 'greeted' us in. Decor was terrible, window sills filthy so was the carpet and shower head. Reluctantly went for breakfast, wish I hadn't bothered. Had to eat in bar cos there were no free tables in dining room, there was broken glass all over the floor and last nights dirty glasses still left on the tables not to mention 2 bikes blocking the fire escape. cereal bowls had yesterdays cereal stuck to them and the cutlery was dirty. I felt sick!!! We promptly left and had breakfast elsewhere. Consequently I have reported all this to Quality in Tourism who do the assessments for Visit England.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank clacka73
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel is terrible, so dirty!! When we arrived, we were greeted by a very rude owner who didn't even offer to open us the door when we had a suitcase, a pram and 2 boys!! When we did get through the door, we were then greeted by a boxer dog, a hamster cage and a fish tank and piles of dirty washing everywhere!! We were just given our key and that was it. The bedroom was dirty poorly decorated, the only good thing was the sony lcd tv. We slept on top of the covers all night and was probably more dirty from going in the shower than before we went in!! We didn't even stay for breakfast, no way was I eating from there!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen T
Reviewed 2 October 2011

myself and my husband have just spent the night at this hotle and was very disapointed .breakfast wasnt very nice horrible to b honest wouldnt go again room nt to bad but think down stairs lets it down entrance and garden very untidy .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple